Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:56PM

Are they Native Americans? Polynesians? Latinos? Or is it just anyone "brown"? I really don't get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:59PM

The "updated" irrational, lacking-evidence belief is that they are "among the /principal/ ancestors of the American Indians."

(edit: I had to update that, they removed "principal" in 2006. Now they just say they are "among the ancestors of the American Indians.")

And then, of course, the hidden part of that is that since nobody can find any DNA or archeology linking "Lamanites" to anybody or anything, you have to just take that on "faith." 'Cause the Book of Mormon is true, you know. Their feelings said so.

Don't feel bad for not getting it.
They don't, either :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 03:02PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 03:23PM

Okay, so it's exclusive to the Native Americans. Hmm.

See, this is where it's confusing as hell.

There are tons of different groups of people around the world with dark skin. The "curse" is pretty doctrinal in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants, despite all of the backtracking over the years... so how did those people get cursed? How do they explain Africans, Polynesians, Melanesians, Latinos, Asians, Arabs. Or what about groups like the Chukchi, Inuit.... it makes no sense.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 03:34PM

Thanos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... so how did those
> people get cursed? How do they explain Africans,
> Polynesians, Melanesians, Latinos, Asians, Arabs.
> Or what about groups like the Chukchi, Inuit....
> it makes no sense.

Melanesians, in particular, are among the darkest-skinned humans on the planet...and they fairly often have genetically blonde hair, and blue (and I think green also, if I am remembering correctly) eyes.

If I was inventing a new world history to be the base of a new religion, and I wanted to postulate something like Mormon religion's "Lamanites," I would definitely choose the Melanesians as my "root" group...perhaps, in particular, those Melanesians with intensely black skin/blonde hair/blue or green eyes as examples of those who were only "partially" cursed???

On the other hand, in the 1800s, probably no one being preached to in North America knew what a Melanesian was...

...so maybe this wouldn't have worked out after all. ;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 03:07PM

Why, I can spot a Lamanite from across a crowded room! ...Unless the room is too dark...

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 04:41PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 04:50PM

1981: "The Lamanites are the principal ancestors of the American Indians."

2006: "The Lamanites are among the ancestors of the American Indians."

2026: "The Lamanites are an extinct people with no modern descendants."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 04:50PM by anybody.

Date: April 26, 2018 05:15PM

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against your timeline...:)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 06:30PM

In 1858 Brigham included "those islanders" as children of Israel.

The July 1971 Ensign specifically mentions Hawaii and New Zealand as locations of the children of Lehi.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 06:44PM

In the end, the whole Book of Mormon story will have to be explained as "Allegory".

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 08:41PM

Nah, it was already edited once, although only to remove a fraction of the unnecessary commas (and clear references to Trinitarian doctrine). It can be edited again.

Date: April 30, 2018 08:44AM

Josephina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the end, the whole Book of Mormon story will
> have to be explained as "Allegory".

You mean like most of the bible? :)

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 07:40PM

Good question because they are invisible in the present day. The title page of the Book of Mormon says it was "Written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel; and also to Jew and Gentile".

It has been years since I've seen anything from the church mentioning the Lamanites. I've seen many quotes from the title page in conferences, news articles etc., but it always leaves out the part about the Lamanites. Now days all they say is that the Book of Mormon was written for the Jew and gentile.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: April 27, 2018 08:42PM

John Delhin did a Mormon Stories episode with Brent Metcalfe. He and other researchers did a pretty thorough job destroying the veracity of the Book of Mormon. He goes into the very question you ask "who are the lamanites?"

Scroll down to part 4

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/brent-metcalfe-mark-hofmann-salamander-letter-bombings/

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2018 02:33AM

Lamanites are the same as the fairies at the bottom of the garden; they never existed either.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 30, 2018 09:01AM

in a great battle with the Termites, the archaeological evidence of which we will discover – – someday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2018 09:02AM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.