Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 01:10PM

Out of the blue my sister has received a VIP invite to a performance by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir when they are touring in our area soon.

I posted a while back about a community event she participated in that was chaired by an LDS woman. (It was a challenge for my assertive sis to work with her, due to a clash of wills, but they managed it).

We guess that's how she came to their attention. She rolled her eyes at the thought of a Tab concert but she's going to go. Better her than me. I'm not overly fond of generic choir music but tend more towards specialty groups such as the Welsh Men's Choir on a seasonal basis (and usually every year for their Remembrance Day performance).

I've been in SLC a couple of times. Went into the Tabernacle at Temple Square, saw the Christ statue, all that. Ran into an RM I had known when he was here on his mission. He was pretty shocked to see me, likely amazed I was still a member (as so many converts "see the light" and make for the hills a lot sooner than I did).

Funny how one little thing, such as sis mentioning her Tab invite, can bring memories flooding in. Not the best memories of my life.

I attended conference in SLC one time. In the pouring rain. Masses of people lined up at the conference centre doors. Saw an SP I knew from home who offered to get me a ticket, bypassing the crowds. I didn't like the elitism of that and declined. Ended up watching conference in the Tabernacle (if my memory is accurate, there was a screen set up there?). A few of the top guys had to come and sit on the stage (some of the 12?) They didn't look happy about it. One in particular wore a positively nasty expression all the way through. I interpreted it to mean he was unhappy to be relegated to the cheap seats. (I could be wrong; maybe he was habitually that way. I couldn't imagine him being a disciple, apostle, whatever, or in any way ever comforting the masses). Being "only" a convert, I had no idea how things worked or their names or positions or who they were exactly.

All too often, those men who have the opportunity to be "shepherds" (a valued position in Bible lore) miss the boat. I couldn't imagine ever going to them in need, certainly wouldn't expect kindness. Could be wrong - just the impression they gave that day. The one I remember particularly had piercing eyes and he seemed to keep glaring at me. I had NO CLUE what I could have done wrong or why he seemed so unhappy with me.

Kind of a familiar impression and feeling I had during my entire tenure as a so-called convert (3 years). I seemed to always be on the outs with an uncomfortable, oppressive feeling of being less than, unwelcome, having done something wrong but no idea what it could be.

Crazy how just the mention of seeing the Tab choir could unleash not only all those memories of my Mormon interlude but all the negative feelings as well.

I know it's rough, and then some, for BICs, of course. But converts get hurt too.

Fortunately for me, there are many more things in life than Mormonism, and it's easy for me to get away from it and let the good feelings abound. The last Canadian hockey team standing won their series last night against Nashville, we're having a party for the Royal wedding next week (I know, trashy), the sun is (almost) shining, the weekend's upon us and things could be much, much worse.

I hope it's so for everybody here too. (Especially the hockey part). :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 04:56PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 01:34PM

I understand how the triggering works. I hadn't been in the Tabernacle for many years. A never-mo friend wanted to see it. I took him in and we listened to the organ. It brought back a lot of memories.

This may get me flamed, but a little part if me wanted to go back to when I believed in Mormonism. I wanted the fixed stars, I wanted to know absolute right and wring. I wanted to be a part of something big and marvelous, I wanted my testimony back.

Then I thought about all the lies, the hurt, the discrimination...I reminded my self and vocally told my friend—
Parts of Mormonism may look good on the outside, but it’s a cult.

Despite the Morg’s branding, MoTabs are NOT “America’s Choir.” America is very diverse with people from all over the globe. Many Americans are LGBT+, and according the the Morg, there are no gay Mormons. No, MoTabs is mostly representative of a white middle/upper class America that never existed.

MoTabs had its glory when it recorded on CBS with the likes of Bernstein and Ormandy; those glory days passed in the 1960s. MoTabs now sits in an acoustically-dead mega-conference center listening to the Q-15 delivery talks. When it sings, it uses faith-promoting musical accompaniments that are loud with shrill descants and other cheap musical effects to produce feeling of “the Spirit.” In the larger musical world, the Tab’s musical singing-style went out of favor in the 1970s. So, enjoy listening to a behemoth relic of the glory days.

Sorry about the rant, your post triggered a Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 01:36PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: May 11, 2018 02:09PM

Your explanation about being stuck in the '60s - '70s made it clear why hearing the MoTab carries me back to my childhood, sitting with my grandmother listening to music. Thank you.

Date: May 11, 2018 03:07PM

No worries. "Rants" are understandable, given what many people experience in Mormonism. It's a big part of the reason for RfM.

Being part of something big and wonderful.

A strong innate yearning humans have. For identity, belongingness, purpose. Understandable. Nothing to be sneered at.

Too bad we seem to somehow look in all the wrong places.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: May 12, 2018 11:42AM

It's not hard to get VIP tickets. It's one of the few ways they can get people to go.

Date: May 12, 2018 12:21PM

Haha. Good point.

Sis is not associated at all with the Mormon Church or Mormons but she has run into missionaries doing community volunteer work and now this woman in charge of some community committee. So we were just laughing that they selected her for a "VIP" ticket. She's going to go, though I wouldn't even with a free ticket. I like the tune of one Mormon song (Come, Come Ye Saints) and that's about it. (And How Great Thou Art, which the mishies insisted was a Mormon hymn but it was written before JS was a Mormon, so, not really).

It will be interesting to see how many people attend from this area, not known for a large or noticeable Mormon crowd. Although this committee chair sis knows gave her an astronomical head count number which I have trouble believing. There is only one ward building that I know of in my entire town and only a few in the neighbouring city. Maybe the Tab's venue will be small and so will seem crowded.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 12, 2018 12:34PM

There is a lot of interest in the royal wedding here as well, Nightingale, particularly since Prince Harry is marrying an American. Our country does have British roots, and if not for that pesky little war (or two,) we would still be curtsying or bowing to the Queen. ;)

I imagine it must have been very difficult to be a convert to Mormonism. My convert friend was lucky in that she was far from the Moridor in a welcoming community. Even then, she fell away after a number of years, just like you. I think for her, going to BYU put a fork in it, but she likely would have fallen away anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.