Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 12, 2018 03:04AM

God i hated boy scouts. If only they got rid of it before i was born.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 02:14AM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God i hated boy scouts. If only they got rid of
> it before i was born.

Serious question (because we have been talking about this around here):

If there had been girls in the scouts with you, would you have had a happier/better/more rewarding scouting experience?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 12, 2018 11:16PM

"Growing up Mormon, you are constantly surrounded by other Mormons. The church's attempt to seal the bubble even tighter does not project confidence in the face of cultural change — it is a retreat from reality."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 08:25PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Growing up Mormon, you are constantly surrounded
> by other Mormons. The church's attempt to seal the
> bubble even tighter does not project confidence in
> the face of cultural change — it is a retreat
> from reality."

Yep

M@t

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 01:55AM

The mormon church often flip-flops on issues. A hundred years ago, they had an "oath of vengence" vow against the United States government as a part of the endowment ceremony. A few decades later, they want to be seen as some of the most patriotic Americans. The church tried to use boy scouting as a means to prove just how mainstream they are. Now that gays and women are allowed in to the boy scouts, they withdraw from it.

The church from the top down is hypocritical and duplicitous. To me, it looks like the church is in a withdrawl and regroup mode right now. They want to stop the great apostacy. But they don't know how to do it without becoming something that is foreign to them. Until some of the old geezers in charge die off and turn the church over to the next generation, nothing significant will change.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 02:53PM

>
> Until some of the old geezers in charge die
> off and turn the church over to the next
> generation, nothing significant will change.
>

But the old geezers are the one 'hiring & promoting' the next generation of old geezers, and as I once opined, "Mediocre management only hires & promotes mediocre employees." Anyone appearing to be a threat to the current way of doing things, or of making the current managers look bad, is to be avoided.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 03:00PM

I’m pretty sure you’re right, and that’s bad news for the future of the LDS church.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 03:02PM

Yes, but good news for us!!!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 13, 2018 08:24PM

As it always does.

As it always does.

Openly gay scouts? LDSmisLEADERS (make a mountain out of a molehill, as usual) says [LDS] "Boy Scouts can be gay. That's okay."

THEN, Gay Scout leaders? "LDS (mis)leaders - Don't quote me on this-"The moe men spokes men are moe men terry lee on vacation...", so the BSA kicks the announcement can down the calendar road just a whittle while wronger.

LDStINK say, "HELLoNO! WELL, OKAY, as long as WE get to pick (on) our own (NOT necessarily known, thought of as, or considered gay or happy) BSA
(Boy Seeks Alternatives) MASTER(baiters)s. Then the LDSpeak super-supreme spokesmodel person-aid official doctrine, policy and witness says "The 'Church' has always accepted boys into scouts who might be gay but not scout master[de][baiter]s" (paraphrased).

Being GAY, and out, in the 1980s-1990s (or even earlier, or more recently, like today, in some places!), you would NOT be treated the same as the other boys, by them, their limited upbringing by their parents, or especially by TSCC (Mormonism) itself.

Then BSA knows they are losing the morons, so they take in the girls, who should have equal status (as should the boys, in girl scouts) and the institutions should be seamless and transferable, trans or knot.

BSA lawsuits major (final) reason.

They want to distance themselves from each other. They are both relieved.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.