Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CBB ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:38PM

So, my parents are out of town for a few weeks. I invited some friends over, we brought an ice chest with alcohol, and had a BBQ. My parents are LDS, but drink occasionally. They don't know that I was using their house. My brother called me out on it and said I'm being disrespectful of them and their house by inviting people over to drink there without them knowing. I told my brother that I don't want to deal with him, that I'm an adult, and that he can't control me. Honest thoughts and opinions please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:44PM

As long as there was no damage done in the home a few beers and a BBQ are none of your brother's business.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:48PM

Personally I think it is disrespectful to have a party at someone's home without their permission. Had something happened due to drinking, they could have had a legal obligation in some states.

That being said, it is NONE of your brother's business, this is between you and your parents.

Date: May 24, 2018 01:50PM

My parents think I'm sober. I used to steal from them when I was a teen. So, I think that's maybe why he got pissed.

Date: May 24, 2018 01:55PM

That's what he told me too.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:53PM

If my son (who is of legal drinking age) had a party at my house while I was gone without asking first, I wouldn't be at all happy. Whether there was drinking or not. Whether there was a mess left or not.

If the same son asked me if he could have some people over and have drinks & BBQ while I'm gone, I'd tell him to go ahead, just be sure to clean up any mess.

See the difference?

Date: May 24, 2018 01:57PM

Do you still live at home?

Having a few beers does not make you a drunk and teenage indiscretions can be overlooked.
Hopefully, you have matured out of all this.

There is a vast difference between having a BBQ and a few beers and having a roaring drunk party.

Date: May 24, 2018 02:27PM

No, I'm 33 years-old, but have a key to their house.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 02:29PM

Your 33 and have a key to their house. Great.

Do you have a key to your house? If you do, why not have your BBQ party there?

Date: May 24, 2018 02:30PM

It's too small of a space.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 03:34PM

Your problem, not your parents'.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 09:13PM

I'm curious why you didn't just text and say hey, I'm having a party at your house tonight, ok?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 08:56AM

You're 33 and you even have to ask re: that party?????

Come on. You know better. You should have the parties at YOUR house/apt. If it's too small and you HAVE to host parties for large groups, do something about it....

Your parents being mormon have nothing to do w/this. If you didn't ask because you knew they would say no, then yes, you are being very disrespectful to your parents. I agree w/your brother and would call you out on it too..

Date: May 26, 2018 02:38PM

No party. Just some friends over to drink, swim, and BBQ.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 05:04PM

I assumed you didn't ask for a reason. LDS or not, respect your parents house and what they would, and would not do in their house.

If possible you can find a bigger place. As for swimming, find a beach, lake, or river to swim and party w/your bros..

Date: May 24, 2018 01:57PM

^^^ I agree.

Disrespectful to your parents or anyone else's home if they would not be tolerant of it. Plus the potential liability.

If they don't care if you and your friends have a few beers and BBQ, no biggie. If they wouldn't allow it, disrespectful.

The only way I see it being any of your brothers business is if you were hiding something from them that they needed to know.....damage, safety, illegal activity....hookers and blow :), etc.

Date: May 24, 2018 01:58PM

Agreeing with SBG above.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:59PM

Sneaking a party is disrespectful.

Sneaking a party with alcohol is reckless because you can't guarantee someone won't over do and do stupid.

Drink when you're out for the night or have your own place and be responsible. Alcohol can wreck your life.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 02:36PM

I assume they're easily reachable by cell phone. Yeah it was disrespectful. I want to know what's going on in my home.

Posted by: jthomas ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 02:36PM

Yea, Id be pissed. And since they are your brother's parents as well, he has every right to watch over their house while they are away. I would call them, let them know what happened, and if u want to do it again, ask permission.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 02:53PM

Yes it's disrespectful. You are an adult. This is not your property. Get your own place and you can do what ypu want. From your parents point of view I would be pissed as hell.

Date: May 24, 2018 02:53PM

>> "Honest thoughts and opinions please?"

You have a mony honest thoughts and opinions to consider. They seem to be following the same line of thinking.

Curious, what are your honest thoughts and opinions after getting ours?

Date: May 24, 2018 02:57PM

My brother mentioned it to my parents and they don't care, so whatever.

Date: May 24, 2018 04:00PM

Don't cop out, be a team player.

Now that you've heard honest opinions, what are you thoughts on what you did?

"My brother mentioned it to my parents and they don't care, so whatever.".... is a rather juvenile response.

Do you think it was disrespectful, regardless of the actual outcome?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 09:49AM

“Whatever”???....your response is “whatever”?? What are you, 15 years old? You wouldn’t get the key to my house after this stunt and your “whatever” attitude.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 03:06PM

Your brother is right: what you did was disrespectful to your parents. And you are right: your mistakes are none of his business. But in this matter, he is more right than you, in my opinion.

Talk to him. Just talk to him.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 03:15PM

Hell yeah its disrespectful.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 03:16PM

You asked this forum because you wanted a sample of opinions from reasonable people. You didn't think it was a big deal, but your brother did. So you're trying to gauge whether your brother may have a point.

As a long time parent, I would not have cared, nor minded, if my adult unmarried son would have used my home for a BBQ w/ friends. I would not have felt disrespected by it because I am easy going. I love my son, respect his maturity, and he is very responsible and conscientious. My son can use anything that I have at anytime, whether he asks or not. My casa is his casa.

In the end, I think it really depends on the nature of your relationship with your parents and the type of person you are.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 03:59PM

I'm pretty sure that most of us have a close friend or two to whom we would deny nothing and excuse just about anything but armed insurrection...

What if such a friend were related? Like a son, or a father?

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 05:16PM

I was just giving my opinion from a parent to son perspective, and to me the scenario would not be disrespectful...only my opinion. Certainly my opinion is not shared. Not sure what you are getting at with your question - I'm sorry.

Date: May 24, 2018 06:09PM

I was agreeing with you!

Date: May 24, 2018 05:20PM

I agree, but I would want that above board and known to both parties, not just taken for granted.

Of course we don't know all the details, but if he assumed it was fine and didn't confirm that, it doesn't make it respectful just because when told, they didn't care.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 06:00PM

It wouldn't bother me, and it wouldn't have bothered my parents. My parents have always taken the attitude that anything that belonged to them also belonged to their kids. None of us - even my slightly wild sister - ever abused the privilege. I will treat my own children the same way. If there is some sort of a problem, I'll then deal with it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 06:16PM

Beyond the issue of alcohol: a) Never go over to your parents' place without clearing it with them first, and b) never have a guest over or a party without their knowledge.

I have a key to my brother's house, and I often look after it while they are away. I am welcome to stay there as well, but I clear it with them first. I also clear any guests. I don't have parties there -- that seems like an overreach.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 06:49PM

In a group with access to their bedroom, personal study and workshop? Access to their hobbies tools precious minerals beads rock collections books and framed art? Access to their perfume on the counter?
Access to their medicine cabinet stores rx? Access to their private photos lists of accounts, you allowed a group of potential inebrients access to their lifetime store of locked or poorly stored guns ammunition compound bows knives, staffs, or assorted illegal fighting brass knuckles chains throwers and num chunks? Really?

How could you do this? Is this normal mormon behavior to be obliviously uncaring about all legal risks from former "friends" and acquajntenances naive treating all 'friends' as all-in like a church friend automatically all-good, no one I know would ever do //// because I know them all is well? So mormon very unprotected tired, and as such unprotectjng of self or others until you grow more guarded and change to be more self protective. Growing up mormon like you grew up in a terrarium a mb behind glass with a mister and others some grew up in a Jungle instead, you need to learn to protect yourself in your actions from now on.

To be so foolish legally and fiscally is unthinkable do you have some ////// condition they had been concerned about? So if your parents compound how rock collectors rock
Carving club staff rifle or knife is found or conceivably utilized at found near a scene of a crime, which they were not at nor ever been but has their possession, registered to them, with their dna.. nor apparently supplied pain meds or other rx without a prescription to whomever rifled through their medicine cabinet, but may pose legal prosecution for such in the event an overdose pose occurs/ and had neither noticed it lost nor reported it stolen since they were only gone a week returned to a clean house, had no reason to go through every draw cabinet closet shelf as an inventory.

You placed your parents in legal jeopardy for the conceivable future really. _____ really? What were you thinking

Date: May 24, 2018 06:52PM

Paintingnotloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> You placed your parents in legal jeopardy for the
> conceivable future really. _____ really? What were
> you thinking

If he was like me, he was thinking that they had plenty of insurance, like about $300,000 on their homeowners CPL and another $1,000,000 on their umbrella.

Life is risky business...

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 11:01PM

Sigh I might have expressed too much skepticism because when my brother got out of rehab, he brought home new friends he met in the county jail whose parents refused to let them party or sleep over. My brother was raised on a farm. How many Miles out in the country? 7 Mile's from a store. Surrounded by tractors and shovels. When my brother dropped out of high school could he read? Was my brother a rube out of the country mismanaged bg mormonism?did he have the common sense of a horse choosing friends back then? Did he stop them when they stripped copper off the pumps lk heading to the power line putting the whole neighborhood out of power?
You canNOT be as naive and misused by his friends as my brother. Say you're not my brother. Is that you ____? Hey! I heard you were an exmo - congrats

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 05:32AM

I don't think it's unreasonable, Painting. If you have any nice things at all, you think about who you invite into your home and *especially* into a family member's home.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 07:57AM

It's their house and they trusted you and now they have reason to doubt their trust.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 08:37AM

Hell yes, extremely disrespectful.

Sneaking into your parents house to have a beer romp with some friends, and then having to ask if it was disrespectful to your parents, is not normal behavior for a 33 year old.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 08:43AM by alsd.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 09:07AM

It is your parents house .Not yours. 33 years old and in some need to party at mom and dads ? Goodness sakes .

Date: May 25, 2018 10:05AM

They gave you the keys to their house and you said they don't care that you had a little BBQ with some friends there.

Then the matter is closed and it's none of your brother's business.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 09:05PM

I was a student and living at home while my folks were away in AZ and hosted a wild party for my college class. Glad nothing got broken or stolen but have felt some guilt about it for 50 years....so yeah I think there was some disrespect there.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 09:27PM

I don't think CBB got the answer he/she was looking for.

Perhaps the assumption was that an exmo site would automatically sanction any activity involving alcohol.

Glad there is independent thought here.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 12:52PM

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 01:05PM

Free Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps the assumption was that an exmo site would
> automatically sanction any activity involving
> alcohol.

And your assumptions suck just as much, even with a 'Perhaps' in front of them.

How do you assume CBB didn't get 'the answer he/she was looking for'?

Your words, Free Man. Yours.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 09:02AM

A party while the parents are gone? Such a cliché.

Date: May 26, 2018 02:37PM

No party. Just a few friends over to drink, swim, and BBQ.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 05:43PM

just think of it this way. If it was a friends house and not your parents would you have run it by them first? It is just courtesy to ask :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.