Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 04:00PM

I'm gonna let it shine ...

Recall as a young Mormon lass how my peers used to equate being a Mormon with having a glow that no one else had/has. That by just looking at a Mormon people would be able to tell something is different about them because of their aura.

Well, have I got news for them. It ain't true.

What I have discovered is that being at peace with oneself is the same as being at peace with the world and our surroundings. That produces the same desired effect that my LDS peers equated as the Mormon "glow." Anyone may capture that persona if they know how.

Think of say, Audrey Hepburn. She was beautiful inside and out. And you can bet your bottom dollar it wasn't because she was a Mormon. She was centered, grounded, possessing inner peace, grace and the self-confidence that made others feel comfortable in her presence and made her even more attractive than she already was. She was a mensch.

The world is full of people like her. You just have to look to find them. You may be one yourself. The glow is innate, and comes from within. Can it be cultivated? Why yes it can. One thing I know for sure is: it isn't a property right exclusive to being Mormon. It can and does belong to anyone who possesses it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2018 04:01PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 04:23PM

The repeated assertion that the 'world' was always watching Mormons to see if they would live up to the standards they profess to espouse - I.E. "The world is watching you so stay true to your morals and standards!"

Come to find out (confirmed by several of my non-Mormon friends after I left the church and wanted to know what they REALLY thought) the "world" is just watching us (and they barely know we exist, to be honest) to see if we really are the religious and social freaks that they've heard we are. And we were.

It was enlightening and hilarious to understand that perspective.

Like one of my best friends said when I came to him (post Mormonism) and apologized if I'd ever said anything pompous or self-righteous to him:

"It's ok, Enigma; I knew you were full of sh!t so I didn't even pay attention to what you would say when you said those kinds of things..."

Hahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 05:27PM

Do you remember when they sang it in primary? Back in the 1960s. I loved it in Corinna, Corinna.

Yes, I remember them talking about mormons having a glow. I realized after I left that they look more like they look fake. And I also remember that they talked about the world is watching. I never thought much about it.

I worked with a lot of nonmormons at Thiokol. They told me that I wasn't like other mormons, that I treated them normal, didn't exclude them or try to convert them, I was just their friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2018 05:27PM by cl2.

Date: May 24, 2018 08:36PM

We may have sung it in Primary in the 60's in Idaho. But it was no longer a part of the Primary approved songs when my children attended. It was long gone.

After we left the cult and visited Christian denominations in our community ... it was a Christian standard for the children's programs. My children sang it in the Moravian children's choir they belonged to back in NYC. :)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 11:26PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We may have sung it in Primary in the 60's in
> Idaho. But it was no longer a part of the Primary
> approved songs when my children attended. It was
> long gone.
>
> After we left the cult and visited Christian
> denominations in our community ... it was a
> Christian standard for the children's programs. My
> children sang it in the Moravian children's choir
> they belonged to back in NYC. :)

Isn't it nice to attend a church in which every song sung by children doesn't have to be approved by a committee in Salt Lake City?

I was born in 1984, which was long after the great correlation.
"This Little Light of Mine" has never been approved for use in Primary in my lifetime. A few years ago, however, I went to church because my twin nieces were blessed in Sacrament Meeting that day. The primary pianist no-showed for some reason. My sister, who was the chorister, asked me to fill in. A non-member child raised her hand and asked if we could sing "Jesus Loves Me." My sister and I made eye contact, and I played the song for the kids to sing.

The suits in SLC can screw themselves. What kind of a church would call itself "The Church of Jesus Christ" and not allow its children to sing "Jesus Loves Me"? A good number of the Mormon kids seemed to know the song, which made me happy.

Date: May 26, 2018 04:12AM

Maybe (might?) cause in "Jesus loves me" it's the bible that "tells me so." In Mormon speak they must indoctrinate the kids to the BoM mind farce.

Those songs are classic treasures. It doesn't bridge gap between Mormonism and other Christian faiths to exclude them. But Mormons don't want same treatment when its the only true church on the face of the earth. It might lose its cult status!

Date: May 26, 2018 09:05AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Maybe (might?) cause in "Jesus loves me" it's the
> bible that "tells me so." In Mormon speak they
> must indoctrinate the kids to the BoM mind farce.
>
>
> Those songs are classic treasures. It doesn't
> bridge gap between Mormonism and other Christian
> faiths to exclude them. But Mormons don't want
> same treatment when its the only true church on
> the face of the earth. It might lose its cult
> status!

The LDS certainly prioritize the Book of Mormon over the Bible, but they've never actually disavowed the Bible except to conclude that it isn't always translated correctly. That would be a very lame reason for not including the song, but it wouldn't be the first lame thing the LDS church has ever done.

My niece is here with me. She just typed a question to an LDS site that has people to respond. The responder took forever, then answered that perhaps the song is copyrighted, and the LDS church always follows the law. The song is actually in the public domain. The church wouldn't have to pay anything to include the hymn in one of their collections.

Date: May 26, 2018 09:33AM

The church representatives cannot even give a straightforward answer to a simple question. It wouldn't have taken much research for someone to have found that out and provide an honest answer.

More subterfuge and obfuscation by the morg.

Date: May 26, 2018 09:49AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> The church representatives cannot even give a
> straightforward answer to a simple question. It
> wouldn't have taken much research for someone to
> have found that out and provide an honest answer.
>
>
> More subterfuge and obfuscation by the morg.

Absolutely

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 07:05PM

"but they've never actually disavowed the Bible except to conclude that it isn't always translated correctly."
I would submit to you that this could also be true of the Book of Mormon

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 08:12PM

When I left the church my nearest and dearist friends confided in

me that they were glad I was out of the church because they

always thought it was weird . They were right.

Posted by: bah humbug ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 08:24PM

I find it rather ironic that a song sung in primary school was also sung by civil rights advocates considering the stance the church had against African Americans back then.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 10:47PM

I never knew they sang this in primary. I’ve heard it in other churches that I went to when little. I joined the church in my early 20s, so didn’t go to primary, but I remember them singing in performances in sacrament and my friends kids singing the other songs you all mentioned about sunbeams and popcorn.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 25, 2018 09:10PM

I’ve seen this in the eyes of believers on Heaven’s Gate videos. Maybe we evolved a “believer detection” trait, kind of like gaydar. Very useful if you’re into the whole belief thing.

But as they demonstrated, no belief is worth killing yourself over.

Posted by: exminions ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 08:28AM

Anyone with eyes can observe that Mormons are NOT happy. The "image" they portray to us Californians in Utah is that of always being "pissed-off". They stare past you with glazed-over eyes, never making eye contact. They frown. Sometimes I will see such a snarky facial expression, that it makes me laugh out loud!

Their road-rage is nothing to laugh at, however, and their hatred of apostates, gays, different religions and cultures, and women.

The Mormon "glow" is just another lie, to make themselves feel superior. Maybe it's the reflection of the fires of Hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.