Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMo Larry ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 01:45AM

This guy's new book which comes out next week is getting shared like crazy on the interwebs. Apparently, he was a Baptist Minister who met with the missionaries in the 90's after meeting his future wife. His story is even better for TBM's because he's also an African American. In the book, he's supposed to cover how he battled the priesthood ban and other issues as a black Mormon. Deseret Books will have it as a featured book, and Amazon has already sold out of pre-orders. I know he's doing a Barnes and Noble book signing here in Ogden, as well as a fireside.

It seems that the MORmONS have found their new mascot!

http://www.authorwainmyers.com/from-baptist-preacher-to-mormon-teacher-wain-myers-978-1-4621-1702-4/
[quote]From Baptist Preacher to Mormon Teacher is the story of Wain Myers, a Black man who came to recognize God’s hand in guiding him to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1995. His spiritual journey began as a young child and continues today as he faces the challenges of being a black man in a predominantly white church. Along his path, Myers preached in the Baptist church before he met the LDS missionaries in Ohio.

In this book, Myers speaks frankly about how he wrestled with the LDS church’s past practice of not ordaining black men to the priesthood. He also opens up about his feelings toward fellow LDS church members, his views on the state of modern Orthodox Christian churches, and how he and his wife have strived to raise their children in a white church environment. The contents of this book will cause readers to laugh, cry, disagree, and, hopefully, rejoice. In the end, it is the author’s hope that the book will strengthen, edify, and bring more souls unto Christ.[/quote]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 02:14AM

Has he turned "white and delightsome" yet by being in the CULT like he is supposed to?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:51PM

She was riding a bus on a Monday night? Skipping Family Home Evening huh? Shame on her!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 03:25AM

Will he be adding a new chapter after the inspiring, all white GA selections last week, with mostly minorities joining the church?

How can he study the blatant racist history and current doctrine yet still subscribe? He joined because his wife was a member... I wonder how much he actually knew before getting baptized.

Mormonism is simply a new shame and guilt trip, if you thrive on that environment...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 05:30AM

How does he feel about being a fence-sitter in the War in Heaven?

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 07:50AM

Same reason Mormons are freaking obsessed with Gladys Knight. The few black Mormons who are able to overlook the blatant racism take away their own misgivings and guilt. If a black person feels OK with it, even if 500 others don't, it must not be all that bad.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 09:17AM

https://www.mormon.org/me/7g9y - "In June of 1995 on a Monday night, I met my wife who I am now sealed to on the city bus I was driving. I saw her every Monday night. One night she was reading her Relief Society manual and I asked her what she was reading. When she told me, I thought she was in some kind of Masonic group."

........the irony

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 11:28AM

NeverBeenaMormon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.mormon.org/me/7g9y - "In June of 1995
> on a Monday night, I met my wife who I am now
> sealed to on the city bus I was driving. ..."

I didn't know that you could be sealed on a city bus....

Is this a good sample of this guy's writing ability?

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 12:40PM

That's why I miss the city! So many interesting things happen, like on city buses!

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 15, 2015 12:29AM

Hey--great idea!

The Templemobile. "Seals on wheels"

Visits towns too small and remote for their own McTemple.

Someone photoshp this...please.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: October 15, 2015 01:05AM

http://www.salamandersociety.com/temple/

Scroll about halfway down to see the Winnebago McTemple

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:03AM

Ha! Miracles everyday amongst the saints...

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 12:13PM

...Say what you will about GBH and SWK; They probably were the most open-minded on race to date. Yes, the corporation allows Mormons into the church and to "full activity?"

They used to parade Gladys Knight and other people of color out as token Mormons. In the movie, "Meet the Mormons" it definitely showed people of color to try to convince everyone that they were a global church and accepting of all.

But since TSM has been prophet/president... The token Blacks that were brought out for show have been put back into the background. Look at their choice for the 3 dead white Utahans apostles, 3 white Utahans (What a change!!!).

Posted by: lunarquaker ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 12:59PM

I guess you can cog-dis your way through anything

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/confederacy-approves-black-soldiers

from the article:

"Lee asked that the slaves be freed as a condition of fighting, but the bill that passed the Confederate Congress on March 13, 1865,did not stipulate freedom for those who served."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 05:06PM

He'll be admired, fawned over, invited to all sorts of places. But he'll never be a temple president or a G.A.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:05AM

caffiend Wrote:
> He'll be admired, fawned over, invited to all
> sorts of places. But he'll never be a temple
> president or a G.A.

This. Wish it could be emphasized in articles regarding his book. 'While he is grateful to be a member of the church, he understands he will never ascend as high as he might have in the Baptist church due to his cursed race heritage.'

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 06:40PM

To call the guy a "Baptist Preacher" implies that he was employed by a Baptist church. The fact that he met his wife while working as a bus driver undermines that notion. He could have started his own fledgling church, and needed to work outside of it, but then, at best, he'd be a "bi-vocational minister," earning his living at one job, and "preaching" for free. On the surface, it doesn't sound credible to call this guy a "Baptist Preacher." He may have wanted to be a Baptist Preacher, or not been a "good enough" preacher to land a paying job, but if he were truly a "Baptist Preacher," THAT would have been his job, not driving a bus.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 08:17PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 06:57PM

yet another LD$ Inc. P.R. stunt.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 15, 2015 12:01AM

Tattoo chick better watch out. She's about to be out run by black baptist preacher dude.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 09:08AM

madalice Wrote:
> Tattoo chick better watch out. She's about to be
> out run by black baptist preacher dude.

LOLOLOLOLOL@madalice! That was great!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 09:17AM

madalice Wrote:
> Tattoo chick better watch out. She's about to be
> out run by black baptist preacher dude.

Wow, you are speaking AS IF the entire universe does not revolve around the tattooed MORmON girl!!!! ......Which would be a huge surprise to tattooed MORmON girl !!!!!

https://youtu.be/owz3FCeKkJk

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: October 15, 2015 01:01PM

I wonder if he has "wrestled" with the fact that if born in the days of Breedom Young, if he had married a white woman, he and his offspring would have been killed by the church.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 09:21AM

.....well how could he wrestle with anything IF he were dead the way that Brigham Young intended ........

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 29, 2017 11:49AM

I am an active Mormon and only came across this when I punched in "From Baptist Preacher to Mormon Teacher." I am even hesitant to write this and you won't hear from me again, but I know this guy and he is a full on, Black Lives Matter racist who doesn't feel blacks can be racist. If you don't agree with him he can be extremely unpleasant. Certainly appears to be an opportunist. I have unconfirmed doubts about parts of the book, but hey, great title, right?!

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 29, 2017 05:01PM

I have no reason to doubt you. There are some in the black community whose acumen at conartistry would make even The Dreamer Of Dreams blush. Black inner cities are as good at scams, albeit not involved in MLMs like TBMs in Utah are.

That said, you know why this message board you stumbled upon exists? Be prepared for the avalanche of comments coming you way. Don't be afraid, it's just they were once what you are now.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 30, 2017 01:36PM

If he is an opportunist who sees his chance to get his own planet someday, he will be sorely disappointed after he's no longer trotted out by TSCC...

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 10:31AM

Ah, then he has found his place in the world. The church is a perfect hangout for opportunists. Doctrine makes the sheeple easy pickings.

Are you sure you won’t stay? I’m fascinated with active Mormons. I feel like I’m watching you at an exhibit and you’re just on the other side of the glass. Tap tap tap.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 09:44AM

By fawning all over the very rare exception (a Black Baptist former preacher/bus driver), they just call attention to what a rare specimen this guy is in their lilly white American church.

So who are his kids going to date in this church?

Posted by: Dante ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 07:37AM

This guy was in our ward and was a trouble maker. Everything was about race even when it wasn't. He was a bit contentious and pushed his book like crazy. He was also a hardcore Black Lives Matter adherent. Though he served in the military he complained loudly that the Star Spangled Banner should never be sung in church. One of his sons dated a white girl in the neighborhood so race didn't seem to be an issue there.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 07:53AM

Obviously, he wrote the book to make money.

I hope they got him a decent editor.

Someone should find out if he's an ordained minister, or even went to divinity school. He doesn't seem well-educated.

Perhaps he was a "minister" in the sense that Mormons are "ministers" now....

Yet another PR scam to spew out of the bowels of Mormonism, and hit the publicity fan.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 09:55AM

We used to have a constable who was illiterate. He was voted in a few years ago and later lost reelection. There were numerous complaints about him while he was serving as a constable so a hearing was held by the county commission. He was brought before the county commission and was asked to read a paragraph a member of the commission placed before him. The constable's attorney objected stating that the ability to read was not in the job description of a constable and told his client to refuse the request. This constable was also a Baptist minister at a church close to my home. We saw his name all the time on the marquee as we drove by the Baptist church. The parking lot on Sunday and Wednesday nights had around 100 cars or more regularly. Name recognition probably led to his election the first time.

This is certainly not true for all Baptist churches. We have primitive baptist churches, where only the saved belong,
to mega-churches with 5000+ members with multi-million dollar budgets. I just see this guy who claims to have been a Baptist minister to becoming a Mormon as just a scam to make money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 10:03AM by Eric K.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 02:50PM

I've been surprised at the number of Baptist Pastors (and also ministers and preachers- don't get me started on the difference) I've encountered since living in Alabama.

I've noticed a pattern that this is the job of choice for anyone who likes to gab, dress up and not get a real job or education. Sheesh, it seems like anyone who can gather 3 friends starts their own church.

The odd thing (to me) is they talk about it as if they think they are admired. They like public speaking with lots of drama. There is zero accountability for spewing anything they decide the Bible means or God wants. Honestly, these people are NOT well educated but they seem to have street smarts for selling to people.

It reminds me of JS who didn't particularly like real work. Once he figured out he had the gift of charisma and gab, he did the religion gig. It's a good living if you can pull it off.

As of last week, I know of 5 people where I work who have husbands who are ministers. I've worked in Mormon areas where there were probably that many who had husbands as bishops, however they usually had other jobs besides the religion.

Like Eric K notes, we have many primitive Baptist churches- usually small white buildings that seem run down. We also have many mega-churches that are so full that the police have to direct the and traffic when the service is over.

At least one candidate here for a state office is running on the fact he is a youth pastor who will make the Bible the focus of all he does as an elected official (yikes). Being Christian and making a big show of it is a requirement to be elected here.

As long as education is low priority and quality, this will continue. Fleecing via religious preaching seems to be revered more than education.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 11:52PM

I wonder what this black preacher/moron teacher thinks about President Nelson's NAACP "apology" and the fact that Nelson came out later to say that he and church had NOT apologized for 150+ years of discrimination against blacks...

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 08:14AM

Out of the frying pan...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.