Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon42day ( )
Date: May 31, 2018 05:33PM

https://www.hrc.org/resources/the-lies-and-dangers-of-reparative-therapy

Apparently the church is trying to get the Catholics on board and
This is strangely reminiscent of the push to inact Prop 8
Several years ago. To me it is an indicator that the church isn’t any farther along than they were nearly ten years ago in mending
The harm that has been leveled against the LGBTQ community.
When is this nightmare going to stop

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 31, 2018 05:48PM

I read the article, didn't see any mention of the LDS church. The search function doesn't reveal anything after 2016 either.

Do you have sources for the comments on the LDS and Catholic churches? I hope they are not foolish enough, and cruel enough, to repeat the Prop 8 fiasco.

Date: May 31, 2018 06:24PM

My apologies I found it this morning and now it isn’t showing up

Date: May 31, 2018 07:18PM

No worries.

I'd love to see it if you do find it. It would prove that the church leaders have absolutely no capacity to learn.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 31, 2018 07:36PM

We'll burn the demons out of you but we'll save your soul...

Burning at the stake from "The Name Of The Rose"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLz9qzvjAB0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 07:40PM by anybody.

Date: May 31, 2018 10:17PM

Well I failed to find what I was looking for so I cannot substantiate my statement. I don’t know what went wrong but I
Will definitely make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Date: May 31, 2018 10:48PM

Hey, we all make mistakes. Thanks for following up.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 01, 2018 11:29AM

Although the Mormon church is not listed, I have little doubt they are involved. They learned in Prop 8 to fly under the radar and let the bigger churches take the blame, but they are no less homophobic.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 01, 2018 11:47AM

They seem to not care anymore about changing gay people and they won't baptize their children.

I think they are as interested in converting gay people as they are polygamists which is 0 interest.

https://www.advocate.com/religion/2016/10/26/mormon-church-comes-out-against-lgbt-conversion-therapy-new-website

They will treat acting on gay sexual desires as an addiction/aberration but won't try to cure it anymore I believe.

Date: June 01, 2018 01:34PM

Atari, the opposite is true of Prop 8.

The LDS church, under Hinckley, pursued the strategy you describe. In the middle 1990s it fought against gay rights in Hawaii, then in 2000 when California voted against gay marriage. In these instances the church was careful to let other groups, including the Catholics, take the lead and the heat.

Monson did not have Hinckley's common sense. He put the church front and center of the Prop 8 movement, and Mormonism took considerable damage as a result. I frankly don't think any other religion, possibly any other group, was more closely associated with Prop 8 than the LDS church.

That's why I'm skeptically inclined about this reparative therapy story. The Mormons got burned badly a decade ago, and surely the torturing of gay people at BYU in the 1970s renders the church uniquely vulnerable to adverse publicity on this particular issue.

I could of course be wrong. Gamblers have rarely lost money betting that the LDS church will shoot itself in the foot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.