Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 09:47PM

"Science vs. Dogma: Biology Challenges the LDS Paradigm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssnz1WZ3dU

>>All of these things were done with the best of intentions...

>>In fairness to Spencer W. Kimball and his colleagues, science had little to say in the 1970's about the nature of homosexuality. Policy was informed by dogma, not data.

>>Molecular biology has been the key

BYU electroshock is mentioned, and a "researcher" was awarded a PhD in psychology. Mention was made of individuals who suffered lifetime damage...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 18, 2018 01:54PM

even if I haven't listened. I sent it to my ex to listen to and he can tell me what it says. I listen to doctors all day and I have an aversion to listening to long youtube stuff, so I'll find out what it says from him.

I'm surprised more people didn't catch your post.

Posted by: Mormons are Hypocrites ( )
Date: June 18, 2018 02:00PM

Let's take your argument:

"If homosexuality is genetic, then it can't be a sin, and homosexuals will inherit heaven."

Also...

"If womanizing is genetic, then it can't be a sin, and womanizers will inherit heaven."

Also...

"If pedophilia is genetic, then it can't be a sin, and pedophiles will inherit heaven."

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 18, 2018 03:41PM

That's a false equivalency; I did just enough clinical work to understand the dynamics... A percentage of children molested will develop the pathology in adulthood, and it's extremely resistant to treatment.

I've argued regularly with an old TBM mentor of mine--who's really sharp, seriously--on whether homosexuality is genetic.

Date: June 18, 2018 04:08PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 18, 2018 04:21PM

My favorite WTF comment (which could have come from out own HonestTBM):

"The old question of
"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Answer (in LDS theology):
Neither came first. Both the chicken and the egg are co-eternal, or infinite as you will. For every chicken, there was an egg, for every egg there was a chicken which laid it.

They have always existed, both in this world, and on other worlds, infinitely.

Hope that helps."

I also liked the guy who commented that LDS are usually polite people and their teenage daughters give good blowies...

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 01:53AM

I remember when the media was stressing almost constantly the need to use Latex Condoms for disease prevention. Not for homosexuals only, but for anyone who doesn't know the history of their partner's sexual pursuits. Condoms don't appear to be talked about anymore--everything is about acceptance versus bigotry rather than protection. Is everyone relying on the treatments of Medical Science? Or are people using them and thus there is no need to bring them up anymore?

Date: June 19, 2018 08:42PM

and I heard part of it. Now I'm going to have to listen to all of it later tonight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.