Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 11:30AM

Race: immutable
Ethnicity: immutable
Sexual orientation: immutable

Religion? That's a choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 05:27PM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 03:38PM

Exactly. And not only is religion a choice but it can be whatever the religious person chooses. Religion can be customized to one's liking no matter how ugly the likes may be. Take Joseph Smith for example . . .

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 11:32AM

Translation from Q15-ese into plain English:

"Give me more power!"

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 11:44AM

Another translation: If you dare disagree with my religious beliefs then you are persecuting me because of my religion!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 01:43PM

You can believe whatever you want as long as, to use Jefferson's phrase, "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg". When your beliefs result in actions that harm other people, you get limits on your freedom, because you are infringing on other people's freedom.

When there are competing freedoms, compromises have to be made to maintain fairness and justice. Easy concept. Difficult implementation.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 02:04PM

+1M :)

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 06:12PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 01:51PM

Everyone does have a right to choose their beliefs. That right needs protection.

Does everyone have a right to put their beliefs into practice?

Yes, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else or encroach on their rights.

If their beliefs include trespassing on my front porch and expecting me to listen to them preaching their beliefs, then my property rights trump their unwarented expectations.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 01:55PM

What if your religion is farting. Your free to fart all you want in your home. If you go out you can't fart; or, you can pay a high tax to fart outside while everyone else does not have to pay such a tax. Why? because everyone else has to wear a face mask provided by the government payed by those taxes.
Would you call that fair? I would.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 04:35PM

What are you talking about? I fart outside all the time....and I like it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 04:45PM

"Fart, lest you fart not."
--Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce, January, 1914

Date: June 21, 2018 02:09PM

To begin with, I do not often distinguish between religious beliefs and political beliefs, because every religion seems to be a political ideology. After all, they want to rule!

Ergo, political beliefs deserve protection if religious beliefs do. Save the commie! And the fascist!

Comments, anyone?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 02:10PM

No comment other than to say you make a very good point that is all too often ignored. :)

Date: June 21, 2018 02:13PM

Religious ideologies do not deserve protection, they need to be questioned. If they don't hold water they don't hold water. No respect necessary.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 02:50PM

To be clear, at least in most societies, it isn't the belief that is protected but the right to have a belief.

I and the collective we respect not the belief but the right to believe. There are all sorts of beliefs that I find absurd. Religion is one of those things I find absurd, however I find it equally absurd that anyone has an opinion about my penis, what I think of my penis, and how I like to make use of my penis.

Just saying.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 03:01PM

Religion should have as much protection as race or gender? What does that even mean? Clayton's using this formulation to say the Colo baker should have been given a religious exemption for baking the cake. It's a non-sequitur. A baker can't discriminate on race or gender grounds; if it becomes unlawful to discriminate on religious grounds too, doesn't that mean that religion's already equal to race and gender?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.