Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 10:42PM

...on my mission:

"My Fair Lady"

"Sound of Music"

"Help" (The Beatles, in color!)

"What's New P*ssycat" (I refused to leave the theater; made my senior companion sit through it a second time.)

Hold On! (Herman's Hermits meet NASA)

...and two performances of Ballet Folklorico de Mexico and two Mexican major league soccer game, one on a double date (in my mind) with the sister missionaries.

Okay, it's not a lot, but apparently it would make current MPs swoon. And probably my MP would have been a bit miffed if he'd known that I tracted exactly once the last six months of my mission.

I know I've said it before, and it remains true: I had a great mission experience. All I had to do was dump my belief in ghawd, and just run with my mormon tribalism, which back then was pretty good stuff. I know it's counter to the prevailing mood here, but I enjoyed my mission and it really, really was a complete plus-side experience, in terms of my work life. But then, that's my natural predilection; I even enjoyed meeting the Boner!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 11:15PM

If you saw sound of music in theatre you may be old old dog.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 18, 2018 01:08AM

I didn't see "What's New P3ssycat."

My mother was so excited to see "Sound of Music" that her friend got her seats in SLC at a nice theater to see it. I remember sitting by her on the first row in the balcony. The place had a big screen for the time. I liked it back when movies would come around every now and then, but then here in Cache Valley, we have a theater that shows old movies that they've fixed up (and they use it for plays, too). We just went to see "Always" again and we went to see "That Darn Cat" a while back as my daughter and I love it. My aunt took me to it in Provo at some big old theater when it first came out.

I didn't serve a mission, but that list of movies brings back memories. Loved that movie with Herman's Hermits.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 02:35AM

It was riveting! I enjoyed every moment of it.

Our Spanish teachers encouraged us to see it when it performed in San Diego, and they explained a lot of the symbolism of it.

Seeing it again, in Mexico City, was enchanting!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 09:22AM

Movies I got to see on my mission:

You scored, pal :(

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 09:43AM

movies I got to see:
It's a wonderful life (christmas zone conference) and
Remember the Titans (mission departure),

both seemed out of place to me, and strange.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 09:46AM

I got to see them all.

Televisions are wonderful.

Date: June 19, 2018 10:25AM

At the summer of '66 screening of "What's New Püssycat" in Guadalajara, the projector malfunctioned, and the audience, who didn't seem to have the same level of surprise Elder Calvin and I did, hurled the most inventive rhetoric at the projectionist! I have kept one such invective close to my heart and use it to this day, "¡Ya deja la botella, cacaro!"

The words are clever and sprightly, but it's all about the shifting inflections!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 10:56AM

Google translate says that means "He already leaves the bottle, cacaro!"

I suspect that's not quite right...:)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 01:25PM

I think it translates more to "Put the bottle down already, you sh''t head." I learned a more refined Spanish but that is probably close.

Date: June 19, 2018 01:43PM

You got it! (mostly)

Here's an excellent analysis: http://www.wikimexico.com/articulo/el-cacaro

But it turns out that 'cacaro' doesn't mean 'shit head', from 'caca'. It comes from cacarizo, acne scarring. At the end of the above article, you'll learn exactly how and why the phrase arose, and if, like me, you're retired, it will help pass the day.

Date: June 19, 2018 02:00PM

Muy interesante. Gracias, Don Elderolddog!

Date: June 19, 2018 02:02PM

Siempre y jamas a tu servicio, Don Done y Done.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 12:21AM

To this day, when I get either intense or slightly inebriated while speaking Spanish, the Jaliscan inflection that I picked up as an exchange student in Guadalajara will surface.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 10:30AM

You have no idea how bummed I was to found out that they didn't escape by traversing the Alps. Such a letdown.

"Nuh uh! They crossed the Alps yodeling and wearing those drapes."

"The took a train. Google it."

-next class-

"Thanks for killing a joyous childhood memory."

"Anytime!"

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 02:12PM

I saw the Sound of Music when it first came out, and my mother asked me to go with since Dad didn't like musicals. It was OK but I've yet to see it again, all these years later?

And you say they didn't escape over the ALPS? I'm so disappointed.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 03:36PM

Misery loves company, and I do want to live with this disappointment alone.

:-(

Date: June 19, 2018 01:20PM

I think I may win this one.

My first companion who was going home in a couple of weeks took me to see Midnight Cowboy. No lie. He was very trunky to say the least. There was so much buzz about that movie. I didn't even know what to think. I was too innocent and naive to appreciate the movie at all. Next we saw Funny Girl which was a little more up this gay Elder's alley.

Never went to another movie the rest of the mission or did anything I shouldn't have. Too bad.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 01:45PM

The Great Santini
I saw a couple more but don't remember what they were.

Date: June 19, 2018 02:10PM

I saw lots of movies on my mission, even when we had Hibbert The Horrible(although I still maintain his wife made and enforced most of the mission rules).

I saw probably way too many movies but never saw one on a day I wasn't supposed to. And there does seem to be lots of R rated (were they called that in 1968?)

Oh yes. I had to also the comp I went with or took to the movie.

Here's a couple of pages with the name of the movie and who was in it. This is the first 2 pages, and there's a couple of more where I listed the translated title in Portuguese. Wow, talk about a lot of time wasted.

https://imgur.com/a/ItIWXAc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 02:17PM by memikeyounot.

Date: June 19, 2018 02:19PM

That, Elder Mike, is a very impressive list!!

How many of the listed companions are out of the church now?

Date: June 19, 2018 03:03PM

I know a couple of guys on that list died but other than that I’ve not kept track of any of them. I think that was a sign of things to come.

There’s one guy who I really didn’t like but was only comps with him for a month or so. I ran into him a couple of times when I worked at ZCMI in the Cottonwood Mall. His grandfather is a famous architect and designed many well-known buildings and places in SLC. His dad was also an architect and when I saw him sometime in the 80’s at ZCMI, he was there with wife and 4-5 kids and told me he had joined his dad’s firm. Have not seen him since, but, I looked up his name online a few years back, after looking at this list (I have no life) and he’s a barber in downtown SLC, fees are about 3X or more what I would ever pay and he gets amazing Yelp ratings

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 02:28PM

Wow!

I am in sincere awe.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 03:21PM

Blues Brothers 2000
Titanic
Jackie Brown
Heat
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Countless other videos I can’t recall,

And the piece de resistance, Boogie Nights.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 12:57AM

It sounds like you had the correct attitude toward your mission, Dog, but that doesn't surprise me. ;)

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 01:46PM

I saw some Jesus movies and some Walt Disney fare but the three memorable ones were Fiddler on the Roof, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The Empire Strikes Back. Even got permission from the MP to see Empire despite its PG rating.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 11:13AM

My whole district went to see Blowup, which I believe was the career starter for Vanessa Redgrave. It was a murder mystery involving photography, and had bare boobs, considered quite risqué at the time. Everyone acted like if they had known, they would not have gone, after the movie ended. But nobody left during the movie....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.