Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 11:03AM

Just read on a MORMON forum (nearly all posters are active LDS) that it is "very sad" that these temples are seeing a large decline in attendance.....such that the hours are being reduced. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 11:36AM

It brings tears to my eyes.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 11:55AM

They shot themselves in the foot by building lots of temples in California.

Those people willing to attend will do so closer to home.

Posted by: Anonymous989 ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 12:22PM

I think that the number of people willing to attend will continue to decline at an increasing rate. So sad for the remaining flock who will continued to get reamed for poor attendance.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 12:26PM

As the mob said to Joseph, “The jig is up!”.

Posted by: JessUpNorth93 ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 12:51PM

I was just about to say - dosent help that they built like 5? 6? Other temples in California. But judging by the size of the LA ordinance rooms and the amount of chairs - looks like a session could easily fit 100-200 people. Can anyone confirm? If so - I can’t imaigine any sessions ever being full.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:33PM

I went through the LA temple for my endowments before my mission and back several times after that and was eventually married in it. Those endowment sessions could easily have 150 people. One time I was in there in 1988 and the place was packed to the gills. Lines of people waiting for the next session - that sort of thing. There must have been 15 temple workers working the veil.

I can't imagine (perhaps I can) how demoralizing it must be to see those rooms empty or with only a few people attending. I'll bet they hold off on sessions just to make sure the one they do have seems crowded.

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:21AM

Los Angeles 1956
Oakland 1962
San Diego 1993
Fresno 1999
Redlands 2003
Newport Beach 2005
Sacramento 2006

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 03:16PM

And remember a lot of those people attending are NewNameNoah.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:39PM

I love silly!!!! Well done, thou good and faithless servant!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 03:52PM

Of course, handing temple attenders a dust mop doesn't help either.

Who wants to sit through a boring session and then be expected to clean ?

At least when we went back in the day it was FUN .
We'd go to the LA temple and then hit a nice restaurant to go out to eat afterward, so it was FUN .

Posted by: Beatmeatsparingly ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:19PM

Cleaning the temple ruined it for me. I always thought of the temple as a pure, pristine place. The only time I went for late night cleaning, I noticed it was disgusting! The temples only get proper cleanings when they shut down. After that experience, all I ever noticed in the temples was filth. I couldn’t wait to get out and wash my hands.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 04:24PM

Still don't guy why you would pay 10-15 percent to participate in weirdness.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 04:47PM

Hopefully.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 08:56PM

My family was sealed in the Oakland temple when I was a young child. Oakland and the LA temples are two of the last major temples built before the mini temples came along.

It's not surprising there's a decline in attendance, given the numbers are dropping of active members. People may be burned out, or leaving like we did.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 09:10PM

The LA temple, especially, will benefit from its location when the church becomes gay friendly!

Date: June 27, 2018 01:08AM

Yes, quite a change...I was told 2 of the ordinance rooms have seating for 225+ people. They are largely empty now, most of the time. I won't shed any tears!

Date: June 27, 2018 01:08AM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 04:38AM

Why should TSCC care? They hold some of the best primo view lots in Oakland and LA, and most of it is parking lots. Tax-free! They coerce and threaten the members into maintaining the property, for free. TSCC sits on their real estate holdings, and watch their value skyrocket! I'm sure seeing this offsets any disappointment in the numbers of attendees. Attendance is not what the temple is about.

Perhaps it might annoy LDS, Inc. if it ever had to revert back to hiring janitors and gardeners and non-relative maintenance workers.

I think LDS, Inc. has plans to immigrate poor Third-World converts to take on these jobs. If immigration is not allowed, LDS, Inc. can bring them to the temples as "work missionaries." TSCC has housing available for these immigrants, for a price, and they will no longer be too "poor" to pay rent to Mormon landlords, if they pay tithing, as Nelson tells them to.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:13AM

It would not be very difficult for LDS Inc to post the attendance at every session every day in every temple. There is zero chance they will do that. Real data interferes with faith-promoting lies.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:07AM

...Back in the day, the LA temple was the only one in SoCal. People had to fight traffic (even back then it was horrible) to get there. Who feels like going and doing useless "work" after a 1.5 hour drive from say the Inland Empire?

I did all the hullabaloo at LA and only went back maybe 2 times. It used to be a big deal to go the LA temple; ward and stake nights, rented buses, you know, that old chestnut.

Then they built Redlands, Newport Beach, San Diego, etc. You have to have an appointment/reservation for Redlands. Trust me, I pass it everyday on the way to and from work. There are barely any cars in the parking lot.:)

Happy dancing Dennis

hahahahahaha!

Posted by: QuestionsofFaith ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:20PM

I used to live in the Oakland temple district (20 years ago).

It was scary to drive into Oakland then. I can’t imagine what it’s like now unless there were significant changes made during the interim. Somehow I doubt it.

If I had had a choice to go somewhere else, I would have.

Posted by: Mt Tesmescal ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:11AM

Scary to drive 13 through the Oakland hills past all those million dollar homes. The Oakland temple has always been in a good area.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:36PM

Posted by: kathleen: "It brings tears to my eyes."

Polly: Ditto.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:41PM

Jesus hates temples. They would better serve him as homeless shelters. The dead need no help.

Posted by: jb ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:42PM

Last time I went through the LA temple was in '91 during the day, midweek, and there weren't many people there then. It was my first visit and I was a bit surprised at the vacancy. I used to attend sealing sessions in the SL temple during that same period and I'd guess that 75% of them were empty on Wednesday mornings. I used to wander off and sit in one of the empty rooms (forbudt) and it was so quiet my heartbeat was louder than the ventilation system.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:22AM

Oakland temple had pretty full attendance back in the day, in the 90's when I went.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 10:51AM

The LA temple would make a nice IKEA.

Or a huge night club.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.