Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 01:59PM

I think they do. I think it's why so many of them are so defensive when anyone questions them.

Ultimately, I think they "know" deep down in their hearts that mormonism is complete bullshit that they're attempting to rationalize to themselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:16PM

Most religious types are much the same.

Its all a nice little fantasy world, particularly when you're surrounded by like-minded delusionists.

Just watch what happens when their little fantasy world is challenged. There's no rational or reasonable defense, so they go into testimony mode for comfort.

Kinda sad ifin ya axe me!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2011 02:16PM by Timothy.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:21PM

are those who adopt the 'We're no worse' philosophy:

All religionists believe in bunk that is just as unbelievable as Mormonism at some level.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:35PM

I highly recommend reading The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Amazing book that proves just how easy it is to make a concept SOUND believable by proving it's true through methods that prove absolutely nothing at all.

As someone with a pretty well-rounded knowledge of the major religious beliefs, I think Scientologists are the only ones who can beat out the Mormons for just plain weirdness. Funny how they're both the secret cults with beliefs you have to be a member for a long time to learn about. And funny how they're the two most expensive ones to belong to as well.

But, I see what Heresy is saying. Mormons believe in magic underwear and secret handshakes, but Catholics believe that Jesus is made of wine and crackers and that you should eat him while wearing a depiction of his incredibly painful death on a charm around your neck. Religions are all weird.

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 02:50PM

I think they do too. My Mo friend and I were having a conversation about his beliefs and I asked him if he believed in the power of discernment. His response was so revealing (pun intended), he said "what's that?" ha! I responded... "oh I thought that Bishops etc had the power of discernment, you know, they could tell if your lying. I guess I read that wrong, after-all if they did, your Bishop would know about...then I mentioned a few things about him, that clearly if the Bishop had the ability he wouldn't be a TR holder. Then he changed the subject to the fact they had a living Prophet. I asked how he could tell when a Prophet was speaking as a man, or speaking as a Prophet. He mumbled something I couldn't understand and started talking about his grand-kids. It was great. I asked those questions on purpose to first, see how he would answer and second to hopefully plant a seed.

Posted by: dieublanc ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:03PM

I think this stake president shows how completely ridiculous testimonies can be in this post:
http://stakepresident.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-testimony-given-sunday-april-6th.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.