Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:14PM

This is from a post from 2009 that I thought still applies today.

Do you talk and sound like and adult with an adult voice, now? I have often said that when I left Mormonism, I found my "voice." I also took my voice back. My real voice.

I am referring to a specific kind/type of "voice" that is distinctly Mormon female, particularly Utah Mormon female. Know what I mean? It is soft, sweet, has that "nice-nice" tone.

I mention this because one of the things that used to make my skin crawl is the number of adult women who talked in that child-like "voice"! Most of them used it to some degree. You all know it: a little high pitched, slighter louder than a whisper, so syrupy sweet it drips.

The men adopt the GA Drone Voice but the women have their own.

I never did have a mousy, quiet voice! Nope. As a convert, I came with a full bodied well developed voice from childhood! But I found myself adopting a different "voice" for church talks ,meetings etc. that was slightly softer, sweeter etc.

Not all women used that "voice" but many did, especially when teaching. They often sounded like they were talking to five year olds when they were teaching adults in RS also. And the five year old rote questions and rote answers. It all went together.

Is this what that Mormon female "voice" is all about:
tradition resulting from the position of serving under the priesthood, (pun intended)--the voice of a person conveying the attitude of; I will acquiesce quietly and lovingly and sweetly and never offend, rock the boat - is that it?

It's so distinct, I can tell when I am talking to a Utah Mormon, in particular, on the phone. Call SLC/COB and you'll see what I mean.:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:43PM

I'm not female, but...

Oh man do I know what the distinct, grating mormon "female" voice is all about.

I just had my sister (ex-mo) and mom (TBM) come visit.
Mom still has it.
Sister doesn't.

How about that :)

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:45PM

Well, I have often heard the 'sweet little-voice' of some women, but (as you), mine didn't change from normal. Maybe this is worse in Utah.

I have to admit, I am my own person (and this, among more important things), led me right out of the church.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:53PM

I know what you mean. It is a distinct dialect and in a sing-song voice. I've decided since being out of it, part of that has to do with all the brain washing Mormon women endure for eons and eons. You can tell by their sing-song voice.

One of my fears of relocating to Utah when I retire is I might pick up that accent again when I'm around that sub-culture. I won't be going to their meetings, but you run into them everywhere. My never Mo grandmother lived in Utah her entire adult life, and didn't pick up that accent. I will be hopeful that I won't re-acquire it either (though there's no telling.)

My children had a Brooklyn accent before we moved to upstate New York. One of them needed speech therapy to unlearn it in grade school when we got here.

My dialect is mixed. Part NYC, part New England (have no idea where that came from,) and a touch of Canadian/southern Ontario, and my Idahoan twang.

When was a young woman living in the Morridor before moving to the East Coast, people would ask me if I was from New England because of my dialect decades ago? My father lived in NE for years before moving back to Idaho, and getting hitched to my mom. I've wondered if my mixed dialect came from my dad? Maybe perhaps. :)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:53PM

Mine got stronger, and I swear.

Posted by: jb ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:42PM

That's the voice I heard when I put Moroni 10:4 to the test...6 months into the mission.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:01PM

I think one reason I never lasted long in Mormonism is that I never adopted the cute, little girl type of voice seen in the cult, even outside of Utah.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:15PM

I have a very deep voice and I have never talked in the mormon voice. It could be a problem, but that just wasn't me. I hate the mormon voice (men and women). Listening to Ann Romney and Mitt on commercials this past month or 2 has been grating on my nerves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 11:16PM by cl2.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:16PM

Carry on.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:53PM

It's a whispery condescending "I'm more spiritual than you" kind of voice that manifests itself during talks in sacrament meeting and especially in GC.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:58PM

The General Relief Society Board has it nailed! When you hear them speak at GC, that is the voice/dialect down to an art.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:57PM

It's the "I must ask my priesthood man what to think and do" voice.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:05AM

I implore you. If you have not learned to talk like a GA. Please do so now.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:08AM

My RS president mother used to call it "the temple voice."

She hated it, as she was hard of hearing, as she got older. She was always telling people to "please speak up!"

Maybe she wasn't all that deaf. Maybe she was just annoyed.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 09:46AM

I think men can also change their tone when they gain confidence and experience away from mormon influences.

Last time I talked to my older very TBM brother I noticed how he dragged words around like taffy in an annoying pleading tone. My exmo brothers' voices are identical but without the mormon priesthood affectation. They sound normal and he sounds like a self important whimpering mormon wannabe leader.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:04PM

No I never had the "voice" but I was happy with the answer "we will find out in the after life".

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:18PM

I'm a man so though my voice didn't change, my testicles grew a lot.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 05:26PM

I don't think I ever had the syrupy sweet, sing song voice, but I have always had a soft voice which hasn't changed since leaving. I think my soft voice has more to do with self-confidence issues.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 01:35AM

Oh geeze. I know that voice well since I used it most my life. Ever since I left I am teaching myself not to use that type of voice any longer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.