Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 04:40PM

Sunday!?? It looks the young boys and their drivers in my area are now doing "Dash and run" on fast offerings!! They're so quick I cant even find my TBM dad's fast offering!! This is the second month it's happened.

Is this happening elsewhere!?? I rather doubt it's taking place outside of the morg corridor! Or is it!?? I often wish that morg would find a better way of collecting fast offering besides driving all over the place (especially in rural areas) going to elderly people's homes(who like their quiet!!) and family taking care of them!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:22PM

It's "good" training for going on missions.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:23PM

I don't think it is new. DH and I married in '91, and if you didn't show up on Fast Sunday, they would show up at your house later in the day to collect it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:24PM

Door to door collection of Fast Offerings is a very long tradition in the LDS Church. It is suspended in some areas, but not all. It was an assignment for the young 12 yr old deacons, as I recall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 05:26PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:26PM

I think the question is the lack of patience on part of the deacons and those driving them.

I bet they are just anxious to get home for dinner.

I wouldn't be suprised if door to door collections were phased out soon.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:38PM

Free labor, no cost to the Corporation...they will continue doing it as long as they get some money.

The investment they really get is from the deacons and the drivers who become more committed everytime they do it.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:55PM

After I stopped attending church, the deacons kept coming around on fast Sunday and I kept telling them "nothing today". I finally told them I wouldn't be contributing to fast offerings any more and asked them if they could take me off their route. I think it took a few months, but eventually they left me alone.

Posted by: Finance Clekr ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:55PM

It's one of those things that Deacon's are supposed to do. In my experience it comes back with a vengeance every 6-9 years....when a new Stake President takes office....and then fades away over a year or two when the dad's get tired of driving the boys all over creation, the boys are hungry and understand how useless it is bothering people and that they are being used as pawns, and moms are tired of dinner getting cold waiting for the boys to get home. It's another failed program the church just hangs on to.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 06:02PM

They've been doing it in our area since we moved here in 2003! That's 15 years!! Maybe the morg's shrinkage hasn't hit our area yet!??

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 06:05PM

I did it as a deacon in the 90's. Been going on for a while.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 07:14PM

It might make a bit more sense in suburban Utah, where a ward will just cover a few blocks. But elsewhere it makes no sense at all. Can't members just give their fast offering at church?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 08:27PM

Members can give their fast offering at church. The door collection serves several purposes.

1) Training for deacons in prep for going door to door as missionaries

2) Reminder (guilt trip) for those who didn't go to church that they should have been there

3) Some people pay tithing along with fast offering. Fast offering collection is probably a significant cash cow.

I believe the tradition of deacons collecting fast offering goes clear back to BY era, or maybe early 20th century. It has been around for many decades.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 09:55PM

No, it's not new. Very morridor.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 05:34PM

I did it as a deacon? or teacher?....not sure of exactly how old...but I went and knocked on 5 or 6 doors...and most were widows and poorer families and it bothered me. So the next month I refused. Never did it again.
I knew there were prosperous families (like my own) who gave plenty of money to the cult on an ongoing basis, so asking the poorer people of the ward to give money that could better be spent on to put food on their own tables was just bullshit.

Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 09:13PM

Sounds like the way the Maffia do business

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 11:32PM

when I was in the singles ward. We just gave our tithing to the bishop or counselors on Sundays at church.

It took resigning to get them to stop coming here.

I always felt sorry for the kids. Around here the boys walk around by themselves since we all living within a few blocks.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 12:16AM

I did this clear Til I was 17 and driving myself to pick up the offerings from people. As a teen driver I liked to wander around and do things like find gas stations to sell me cigarettes underage so this was a nice way To kill time on sundays when I was pretty much expected to still ‘obey’ the sabbath.

In hindsight it seemed like a way to get the more consistent members of the ward to double dip and get 2 sets of offerings, since most paid at church. Their were some older folks who didn’t make it to church but still wanted to donate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 12:19AM by midwestanon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.