Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 04:06PM

I mostly lurk here (and have since 2009) but I know a great many of us on this board are animal lovers, so I ask =)

In May I adopted a 1-year-old heeler from my local high-kill shelter. Overall he is a good dog. County sheriff's deputies removed him from a house where the owner was cooking meth, and no one came to claim him from the shelter before his hold period was up. He knows his basic obedience, is housebroken, good on a leash, loves my daughter (age 3) and my nephews (ages 18 months to 6 years). My 6-year-old Dalmatian enjoys his company, but I keep him separated from my 12-year-old Aussie since she plays too rough with him and gets herself hurt.

However, somewhere in his short life, he learned that it's great fun to herd horses. I have my two horses on my property as well as several boarders and people who come here to ride. Thus far he has limited himself to herding my horses, which is the lesser of the evils because they've lived on a working ranch until this year and have been around so many dogs that after a bit they just ignore him. My concern is that he will herd a client horse and injure it (or it will injure him) or that he will go after a horse that someone is riding, and I'll have a heck of a wreck on my hands. I don't want anyone hurt, and I don't want to get sued. My insurance company prefers that I not get sued.

I did call a dog trainer, she came to my property and taught me some skills to break this habit, and we are working on it. He is making progress slowly, but I am concerned that because he has already learned this habit that if he were to get out when I wasn't home that he would beeline for the horses.

The other issue is that he requires almost constant attention because he is high energy. For a young heeler he is quite mellow, but I work from home and find myself constantly having to throw a ball or tug or entertain or exercise him somehow. I did buy him some puzzle toys and they will distract him for 10 to 15 minutes but overall I find it hard to work during the day. On the plus side since we do take long walks morning and evening I have lost some weight =) I live in Arizona so leaving him outdoors after 11 AM isn't an option. Maybe this winter it would be. I might be more of a low-energy dog person.

I love this dog, and so does my daughter, but I'm not sure he's the right fit for our life. I would never take him back to the shelter. I did contact a local rescue and they offered to help me find him a home if it comes to that. It would have to be a perfect home. He would likely adore a house full of rambunctious kids to play with him, another young dog to romp with, or someone who could take him to the dog park daily. He has a home with me, forever, if needed. He is not pit bull bait or an apartment dog.

In my Mormon days I would have prayed to god and gotten a warm fuzzy feeling and known what to do ;) It's kind of like the myth of how any two good faithful Mormons can have a successful marriage, that any responsible dog owner is a good fit with any dog. I'm finding in my situation that maybe it's not true. Although this dog and I have love for each other, maybe others are better suited for us. Or maybe we should keep working through it. Depending on the moment, I'm torn as how to proceed.

So, RFM, I leave it to you. Give me your best advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maggieLindsey ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 04:51PM

Just went through the exact same scenario with a young heeler we got as a puppy. We are in our late 60's and decided jake( our dog) needed to be on a ranch heerding cattle like he was meant to do. Or pigs, or sheep. We found a wonderful young couple who have horses, and cattle and knew how to further train Jake. We miss him so much, but still feel like it was the best decision. It's a very difficult decision, so I wish you well.

Date: July 01, 2018 07:54PM

It sounds like it worked out well for you and Jake! That would be my hope -- to find a perfect home for him where he can use his skills and his brain.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:19PM

I guess you take them back to the "shelter" and hope for the best.

My soft-hearted DH found a homeless 10-year-old dog of some sort (large, but intelligent, well-trained, and quite the gentleman.) He is good with our cats, very well housebroken, and really, a very nice dog to have around. Dog was microchipped - that's how we got our basic info about him.

Being a big dog, he has a big bark, and while he does not bark at people he knows, he sounds off very authoritatively if someone he does not know approaches the house. So THAT is an excellent trait.

While I would not have voluntarily brought home a dog of any sort, Georgy is just about the nicest dog a family could have, given the circumstances.

He absolutely adores DH (and it is mutual) and he loves to sit next to me when I sit on the family sofa.

All in all, as long as we are able to take care of him, he has found his "forever family." Since he is pretty elderly for a dog, the odds seem reasonable that at least one of us will outlive him.

Date: July 01, 2018 08:00PM

I remember reading your story when Georgy joined your life =)

The shelter was a terrible place. I wouldn't take the dog back there. The rescue I contacted would let me screen any potential homes from their applicants and pick one that best suits him, if I choose to go that way.

I LOVE senior dogs. When DH and I got married we had 4 dogs close in age, and over the last 3 years they all became elderly and crossed the rainbow bridge. Sure, we had fun when they were younger, but the senior years of quiet walks around the neighborhood and just hanging out stand out most in my mind. I'm only in my 30s and will most likely outlive my dogs, but in the case that I don't, my best friend -- and not my family or my husband's family -- will raise my child, because she was the only one willing to take the dogs as well.

Posted by: captainklutz nli ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 05:36PM

Search engines can be your friend. Look for a breed rescue group. Even if yours isn't AKC registered, they might know of a group that will help with finding a home or even a foster. My wife and I are lousy fosters; we have 2 here who just wound up staying.

Date: July 01, 2018 08:00PM

Thanks! I will do that!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 07:51PM

You rehome a dog that is not a good fit for your family or your situation. My family did it for a second dog who wasn't a good mesh with the family or their other pets. Working with the rescue would be the right thing to do if you do decide to rehome him. I think that being one year old is a good age to do it. He is still young enough to build a lifetime together with a family.

Some of what he is doing sounds like normal big-puppy energy.

Date: July 01, 2018 08:05PM

Yes, much of his behavior is normal for his age and breed, and yes, I (kinda) knew what I was getting into. I've had young dogs before, but it's been 15 years since I had a young high-energy dog. I thought he would be the right dog for our family, but since I have doubts, maybe not. Sometimes he is great, and sometimes I think that I will never get any work done (kind of like how I feel when my kid is around!) I'm still on the fence, but he is a good boy and I'm sure he would find a good home through the rescue if I choose to go that way.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 11:44PM

Are you looking for permission?

Two words: lifetime commitment.

Date: July 02, 2018 01:10AM

I understand what you are saying, and in general my family and I agree with you. But there are times when it just doesn't work out, and if you work to find a good home for the pet (that is more suitable,) it can work for the best for all concerned. I'm not saying to take the pet back to the shelter, but to work through a rescue or through your network of friends.

My cat, OTOH, was just dumped outside when his family was moving and couldn't take him. That is how NOT to do it.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:11PM

CateS -- Yes, I agree, dogs are a lifetime commitment (mine are provided for in my will, should they outlive me. My best friend will raise my daughter and care for my animals, and I will do the same for her.)

No, I'm not looking for permission. I feel guilty for even considering rehoming the dog. I've rehomed two pets, and both died within a week of going to their new homes, both to responsible, animal-loving friends, so my track record isn't so good. I suppose I came here to find out if I am a terrible person for even considering it, because at times I feel like one.

Shelter dogs have so many unknowns. I don't expect a dog to be perfect, but with his desire to herd the horses I worry about his safety. One horse already gave him a good kick to the ribs. Not all of my boarders' horses are as forgiving as mine are. Heelers can coexist peacefully with horses, and not herd them, but since he's already learned this behavior it will be much harder to untrain. Given that I live just outside a major metro area and got him from the high-kill county shelter I was a bit surprised to find that he had been exposed to horses.

I haven't made up my mind yet and continue to work with the dog trainer. Should it come to rehoming, I will do a thorough screening of any potential new home. Call their vet and references and talk to neighbors.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 03:38AM

"Friends" animal rescue in Kanab, Utah, takes nice dogs like yours. They are a no-kill. I'm not sure of the name, it was so long ago.

My beloved black lab came from there--and she was the best dog ever! They encourage visitors, and people can bring their own dogs along, and stay at a motel in town, and spend time playing with the dogs and walking them, etc. There's room for dogs to run around. I'll send you their contact information in the morning.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 03:48AM

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
5001 Angel Canyon Rd
Kanab, UT

(435) 644-2001

Website--bestfriends.org

I highly recommend obedience training. If a dog can learn to obey you, that's most of the battle. The dog will want to please you. It will come when it's called, obey your commands, stop when you say, "Stop." A pup will be lurpy and juvenile for about a year to 18 months.

Rather than ruin your life, and ruin the happiness of your littler dog and of your horses, I would let him run around in Kanab. Utah country people like heelers, and the dog just might get adopted! At least your dog will have a chance at being tolerated by the new owners. You have too many dogs already, IMO.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:14PM

I've heard of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. I'm in the part of Arizona closer to Mexico than Utah so it would be a rather long trek. But thank you for the information.

My dog may be best as a city dog, where he can't herd livestock and where he can romp at the dog park every day. People here like heelers too (mostly they are happy to find something that isn't a pitbull. Not that pitbulls are bad, but many insurance companies -- mine included -- have them listed as a banned breed)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:13AM

Your dog is still a pup. He may calm down. Right now my new pup is driving me nuts, but she is learning and will grow up. Training might help. I have no problem with rehoming provided you find him a good home suitable for his temperment. It sounds like that is what you plan. I do have a problem with people who dump dogs at high kill shelters, abandon them, give them to anyone without checking etc. A dog is a responsibility, but it sounds as if you are considering doing whatever is best for the dog.I would think about it, be sure and consider talking to a trainer before you decide. A good rescue or Best Friends are good options

Date: July 02, 2018 05:20PM

I had a dog trainer come out last week, and she worked with him on not chasing horses. Every day he makes a bit more progress, so that is good. However, the trainer said that given the opportunity he will likely always try to herd horses when no one is around to call him off. It's in his DNA and he's already learned that it is great fun. While many heelers coexist peacefully with horses, they usually learn that herding is inappropriate very early on, before they ever get a chance to figure out how fun it is.

With my own horses, I'm not too concerned. They're old ranch horses and they will let him herd them for a while before they get bored with it and just stand and look at him no matter how much he bounces around. It's my boarders and their horses that I am concerned about. I would be devastated if one of them hurt him, or if he caused a wreck and a person or horse got hurt. I can keep him in the house or the fenced part of the yard, but I have a three-year-old daughter inclined to open the door.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 05:49AM

I agree with bona dea. My beagle/lab mix, Zane, is almost ten now. He was barely a year old when we got him and very destructive. I remember coming home and finding so many chewed up books and CDs and such. It took about six to eight months for him to start to settle down, but he has turned into such a gentleman. I think his original owner just couldn't deal with his destructive tendencies. She taught him basic obedience and obviously took good care of him, but it just didn't work out. I'm so glad we gritted our teeth and hung in there. He's just awesome.

Our other dog, Arran, has been through a few homes. He came to us at about four years old. It took some time, but he too has turned into a really good dog who blesses us. He adores my husband and sits with me every day.

You only got him in May... Can you give him a little more time to grow up? If you really can't, then I don't disagree that rehoming may be the best thing to do. But I've seen so many PITA young dogs mature into perfectly awesome pets.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:23PM

Yes, I can give him time to grow up =) Rehoming him isn't absolutely necessary at this point. We are working every day to teach him to behave appropriately around the horses. He has many traits that I love, but I always worry that he will get out at the wrong time and cause a wreck because I know he will go after a moving horse. Of my other two, when they get out, one goes in the pen to eat horse poop, and the other trots down the road to visit the neighbor because he gives her treats. Neither one of them are inclined to chase, so I'm less concerned there.

I raised two PITA high-energy pups, and yes, they did grow up to be awesome dogs.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 04:11AM

Well, I understand about the danger around the horses. I grew up riding and showing my Appaloosa and my riding coach had several dogs. One was a wonderful spaniel who had full run of the property because she knew how to behave. The others were very energetic Gordon Setters who mostly stayed in runs, They were her husband's hunting dogs and weren't allowed to roam, probably because of all the horses and that hunting instinct.

We don't let our dogs outside unleashed for the same reason... they're hunting dogs and will run. I guess it's not so practical if you have horses to take care of, too.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 06:40AM

He sounds delightful as a pet, but it would seem that from both a legal and moral standpoint (you obviously don't want it on your conscience if anyone is injured while riding due to his involvement), he's too much of a liability for you to keep him if you cannot be 100% sure that you can keep him from escaping.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:25PM

I have a three-year-old daughter. She tends to open the door or the gate to let herself in or out, and occasionally the dog escapes. I can't 100% guarantee that he won't get out when someone is riding their horse, and yes, I would be devastated if someone (horse, dog, or human) got hurt because of him.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 08:00AM

Here's my 2 cents;

First, you should probably find another home for him. It's one of those things...if you have to ASK.............
You may "love" the dog, but you have to what's right for you, your family, and your business. A dog is just that...a dog. I don't know if a heeler's herding instinct can be trained out of him/her, so herding horses is a bad idea in general for you..

Secondly...I am a HUGE fan of adopting/rescuing shelter dogs. We have 2 mutts, and they are healthy, happy, entertaining and each w/their own distinct personalities. That all being said, in case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of heelers, Australian shepherds, and pit bulls, at the shelters. While all of these dogs can be good dogs, I would never adopt any of those. The heeler and aussies, for the reasons you just listed. Pit bulls can be great dogs, and I have seen some absolute sweet hearts, I would never adopt a grown pit bull.

Like I said...all my 2 cents..

YMMV........

Date: July 02, 2018 05:34PM

When I lived in Montana I was adamant that stock dogs are NOT pets. I raised a border collie and an aussie, and it wasn't easy. I'm in Arizona so heelers and aussies are rare in the shelter here. Most of what you find are pitbulls and chihuahuas. My insurance company won't allow me to have pitbulls (or 13 other "aggressive" breeds) on my property. I went to the shelter to see another dog who wasn't the right fit for my family, and the employee led me to the dog that I ended up adopting. He has many traits that I look for in a dog (gentle with my daughter, not destructive in the house, knows basic obedience, walks well on a leash). Being in a big city I was surprised that he had ever had the chance to learn to herd. I've been working with a trainer to make him the best he can be, but he will always have the desire to herd if given the chance. If it was just my horses on my property I wouldn't worry, but I have others in my care and I have an obligation to their owners to keep them safe. Otherwise, no doubt, the dog would be staying. He may be best as a town dog, and that makes me sad, but if it comes to that, I remind myself that I got him out of a terrible situation and will do my research to find the best family for him. Like a rescue does ;)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 01:27PM

right after I went to live with him in Colorado and I just lost a dog 2 months before that. His dog was INSANE, to say the least. I couldn't leave her or she'd get into everything and take everything off the counters. He was afraid she was going to chew up his sofa.

She was driving me nuts and he told me that he shouldn't have gotten her, but I told him that I would exit the situation before I allowed him to give up the dog.

We got her kennel trained and it changed my world. I work at home, too. He would at first have to drag her into the kennel when he'd leave for work and then I'd let her out when I was done working--about 4 hours. Then we found out she loves cheese and she'd go in the kennel without being forced. Then when I didn't need her in the kennel any longer as she had calmed down, she would go in there by herself and just rest with the door open. She still likes to go in and lay down, but we never have to lock her in any longer.

And she changed in a year. She used to try to jump on me when I got to the top of stairs, etc. Now she is a sweetheart and she and I are good friends. He's had her 7 years.

Have you tried training her to be in a kennel at times?

I don't know what to tell you as it would break my heart to give up a dog I had already bonded somewhat with.

My dog who died 7 years ago wanted to play ball all day long. I work doing medical transcription at home and he'd lay his ball at my feet and I would throw it without even thinking and then realize what I was doing. He was like the dog in the movie Spanglish (I think that is the name). My daughter and I laughed and laughed over that. Our dog chased the ball all day long.

Keep us posted on what you do. I'm sure you can find a home that would take him in that would be a good home. I'd take him if I could, but I have the maximum dogs for my town.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 01:29PM by cl2.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:42PM

I tear up every time I think of rehoming him. I was a big sobbing mess when I called the rescue to get information from them.

I raised a border collie who was crazy destructive. He ate my couch and the inside of my car, among other things. Eventually he grew out of it, and we had 12 happy years together. I just lost him a year ago.

My dog does have a kennel and he spends a bit of time in there, and out in the yard before the Arizona heat sets in. When fall and winter set in it may be easier since he can spend more time outside. He hasn't shown any inclination to jump the fence, so that is good. I've also considered adopting another young dog for him to romp and play with so they can wear each other out. We walk twice a day and play fetch, but I get tired long before the dog does.

He has many great qualities (good with little kids, good on a leash, obedience trained) so if it comes to finding him a good home I'm sure I can find him one. He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow, and I'm going to mention it to them. They can be a great resource. I haven't committed to rehoming, but I always worry that he will chase a horse that someone is riding and someone (dog, horse, human) will get hurt.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:57PM

Are there any obedience group classes around you? Most of them keep the class down to6-8 pupils. They learn to socialize with other dogs also.Id take a class where they have people riding skateboards, bikes, jogging, etc around them. The good classes also have kids, and people of different sexes , sizes, uniforms, funny hats , etc ,that come in.
Like German Shepherds, heelers have a strong prey drive, it’s their automatic instinct.The classes teach them not to chase certain people and situations, etc.
They are a super smart breed and learn fast, like everyone else is saying, he’s a young dog and those breeds mature at an older age
That’s why military K-9 units usually wait until the dog is at least 3 years old to start training it more advanced tactics,

Date: July 02, 2018 05:45PM

The dog trainer came to me last week and we started working with my dog to teach him to behave appropriately around horses.

I've had him in all sorts of situations in public and thus far he is only reactive to moving livestock (horses, cows, goats) and not to people or dogs, so that is good.

He is slowly making progress, but the trainer believes that he will always herd if given the opportunity. So, if he got out for some reason and I wasn't around he would immediately seek out the horses. He knows where they are.

I did sign up for obedience classes. He seems to know his basic obedience commands, but there's always more to learn =) Even if I end up rehoming him, I want him to be the best dog he can be.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:48PM

IMO herding is instinctual for your dog, just as retrieving is instinctual for retrievers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.