Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 03:43PM

Our daughter texted us this morning that when she, our son-in-law, and 2 year old grandson were out walking, our grandson was inches away from being run over by a neighbor backing out of his driveway. The neighbor was going fast, and our son-in-law leaped over to the driver's side, pounding on his window and yelling to get his attention. The driver's response? " I wouldn't have seen him anyway!" This creep is the BISHOP of the ward that they are no longer part of. I realize it's not my part to read him the riot act, but what can my daughter and son-in-law say to this idiot that would shame him? It would be great if it involves a comment about TSCC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 03:45PM

Sometimes being a dickwad has nothing to do with religion...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 03:47PM

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens, daily. People are very often, too self-centered to care about anyone else. They ignore anyone who has anything to say about their abhorrent behavior.
So sorry this happened to your family. They learned valuable information, however: stay clear of that man. He cannot be trusted. The sooner we learn about who not to trust, the better.

Date: July 14, 2018 03:48PM

That's true, but I wish there's something they could say to get him to realize the "error of his ways". It sounded like he was so callous and cold about it; no apology, nothing.

Date: July 14, 2018 03:50PM

Thank you for your comments elderolddog and SusieQ#1. It helps to me to calm down by venting.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 04:07PM

Hopefully the bishop will learn from that. It must have been very frightening for your daughter and her family.

I see that kind of thing all the time. I will be most of the way out of a parking space when another car near me starts to pull out, totally oblivious. I always think, did you even look? Evidently not. Sometimes I even have to pull back into the space so my car won't be hit.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 04:45PM

What kind of creep backs out fast without a concern or glance at who might be walking?

I used to have crossing guard duty at the school where I taught and saw this kind of behavior there. It scared me and I don't know how real crossing guards manage to stay sane.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 07:01PM

The grandbaby is just a two-year old. Hopefully the bishop really did hear them, and was just being defensive instead of apologetic.

Your kids will naturally be more careful and cautious going past his house as a result of that. He needs to be more careful, and they will be anyway.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 12:01AM

Unfortunately, that bishop's comment is all too common from those serving in LDS leadership positions. It was ABSOLUTELY an inappropriate comment for the near tragedy.

It reminds me of a time when Brother Blowhard, my YM leader, was driving us deacons back home after a day of Saturday service projects. It was autumn and the sun was starting to dip below the ridge as he whipped his station wagon around the sharp turns of a hilly road. I was riding shotgun as we flew around a blind curve and found two boys, a little girl, and dog occupying the right side of the road. We nearly hit one of the two bikes while the girl walking with the dog fell into the roadside ditch. Blowhard hit the brake and we skidded toward the opposite side of the road.

We didn't quite stop, but Blowhard gunned his wagon and honked his horn while waving his fist. "Stupid kids. They have no business being in the road. They nearly caused us to crash."

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 12:19AM

(I'm kind of serious)

Maybe egging a house?

I am quite pissed at that guy.

When my friend and I were teenagers, we had the light and we were walking across a three-lane one-way street in Philadelphia. The traffic lights were timed to turn green for cars driving 30 mph.

This one dude wasn't paying attention to us but was anticipating the green light. After he almost hit us, we starting kicking his car and cursing at him because we were hoodlums and maybe a bit startled.

So, yeah. I'm all about payback, even if it's just in my mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 12:19AM by Beth.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 12:53AM

Scary, and sorry this happened to your grandson and loved ones.

In my opinion, I think it is in your daughter and her husband's ballpark to handle the situation further if they so choose.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 01:00AM

Meh, gentiles.

Just kidding. I’d freak out too if some dickweed almost ran over my grandkids.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 01:34AM

Put a sign near his driveway. You choose the words. Something like, "God wants you to slow down." or "Slow down, even if you're a bishop."

Our neighborhood terror was Amy, the wealthy stake president's wife, in her oversized Suburban "Mormon assault vehicle." She never stopped at stop signs. One day, I saw her speeding towards the intersection, from the left, and I knew she would overrun her stop sign, so I stopped, instead, even though I had no stop sign for me. If I hadn't stopped, she would have rammed me.

I laughed out loud, when I saw one of our main stop signs, with another stop sign tacked below it, that read, "This means you, Amy."

As the neighborhood grew, the city put in a stop sign at the busy intersection at the bottom of the main street. Amy was not used to it being there, and she ran the light and got hit a few times. Finally, her husband persuaded the city to remove the stoplight! Her husband was a bigwig, and the developer of our entire neighborhood. As soon as Amy and husband moved away, the city put the stoplight back in, as it was badly needed.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 03:08AM

Wow! Quite the story about Amy!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 07:21AM

Reminds of the time I pulled into a Target shopping lot to park. Some idiot driver pulled into the spot directly in front of me and hit my car. She parked it in that position. I sharply asked her what the hell she was thinking as she stepped out to go into the store? She looked totally clueless.

She didn't care. She was with her children, no less. I thought wow, what a terrible example she is setting for them.

Date: July 15, 2018 09:47AM

Thanks you guys for your stories and advice. You are the best! I love that about putting up a sign! :-D

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 10:15AM

Why not a postcard with a message on it about lousy driving, lack of respect, rude and obnoxious behavior - or maybe something more malevolent - sent to every home listed in the Ward or Stake Directory?

Call the guy out. Put that he is a danger to kids. Crucify him as a rude, boorish prick.

Or, you could take a picture of him, print up as postcards and send them out asking "do you know this man is a danger to children"?

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:14PM

I am sorry to hear about such a scary situation. Personally I always wait for a car to back out of their driveway even though the pedestrian has right of way. I always assume that they will not see me (6 foot tall grown man).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.