Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 01:28PM

Every now and then I find something that does a masterful job of highlight my life long process of dealing with every experience I've had. And learning to make peace with my entire life. This list has particular meaning to me as it hit on so many of the principles that were part of my Very Personal Exit Process from Mormonism. I could write an essay on the exact experiences that relate to each one of these seven principles. Each one could be the title of a separate book.

I found this quote on a Facebook page - the Ascension Guy.

"Anything that annoys you is teaching your patience.

Anyone who abandons you is teaching you how to stand on your own two feet.

Anything that angers you is teaching you forgiveness and compassion.

Anything that has power over you is teaching you how to take your power back.

Anything you hate is teaching you unconditional love.

Anything you fear is teaching you courage to overcome your fear.

Anything you can't control is teaching you how to let go."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 02:23PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 11:56PM

I agree with these principles.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 08:42AM

These are dichotomies of life. I believe that a normal, well-balanced human being can experience all of these emotions, at the same time.

I made the mistake of beating myself up, because I was never perfect enough. Anyone who says that they have only the "acceptable" emotions is lying. Unfortunately, Mormons are raised to believe that the cult leaders and their wives have reached that level of perfection. (I was taught that JS was the greatest human being to have ever lived, next to Christ, right?)

It is noble to strive for self-improvement--but to aim for Mormon "eternal progression" and end up as Gods and Goddesses is arrogant, delusional, and, well, insane!

Anything that causes you to be imperfect is teaching you self-acceptance.

Why is it that the Mormon cult leaders do not want the minions to accept themselves? Mormons label that as "complacency", and that this is an emotion from Satan. When the Mormons label you as "independent" or "self-contained" or "a private person" you become a threat to their cult.

Reviewing SusieQ#1's principles, none of these are particularly valued or nurtured in the Mormon cult.

Mormons value obedience and humility. (Along with superficial values such as money, connections, appearances, the ability to manipulate others.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 10:34AM

Gee...

He forgot "If anything challenges you, it's teaching you to give up."

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 02:32PM

Here are a few more:

Anyone who claims to have priesthood authority over you is teaching you how to recognize a fraud.

Anyone who claims that they've spoken to god as one man speaks to another, is teaching you how to recognize mental illness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 02:37PM by azsteve.

Date: July 14, 2018 03:50PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are a few more:
>
> Anyone who claims to have priesthood authority
> over you is teaching you how to recognize a
> fraud.

True!

> Anyone who claims that they've spoken to god as
> one man speaks to another, is teaching you how to
> recognize mental illness.

I would phrase it differently.
Anyone who claims they have spoken to god as one man speaks to another is teaching you to recognize metaphysical, visionary claims. If he claims he is a god or a Biblical character, etc. he is teaching you to recognize mental illness.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 12:44PM

But some of these statements are edging in on blaming the victim. Sometimes adversity teaches lessons and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, there's no need to feel inadequate. Mormons often treat others harshly or unfairly, thinking it will teach them needed lessons. I don't think anyone has that right.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 01:05PM

Except for the one about power, they're essentially saying to let @ssholes get away with being @ssholes.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:09PM

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 01:00PM

Anything that annoys you is teaching you the proper amount of patience before taking action to end the annoyance.

Anyone who abandons you is teaching you he/she couldn't be depended upon, and how to stand on your own two feet.

Anything that angers you is teaching you the appropriate amount of anger and how to deal with the source of anger.

Anything that has power over you is teaching you how to take your power back or what to avoid in the future.

Anything you hate probably deserves it and is teaching you unconditional love should be applied judiciously.

Anything you fear is teaching you courage to overcome your fear or is a signal you need to protect yourself.

Anything you can't control is teaching you how to let go or to learn the correct way to control it.

Date: July 15, 2018 04:38PM

olderelder Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------
I saw your comments as self-evident.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 05:29PM

I like your philosophy SusieQ#1. It teaches principles that helps an individual find strength, balance and serenity in a very challenging world. Also, my comments are slightly off topic.

I am an idealist. I as an agnostic still believe in something bigger than myself. To use a term from Mormonism "being anxiously engaged in a good cause" or in other words believing we possess the ability and the desire to make the world a better place. It's also well understood that people working together, organized as a church, tribe or such, can accomplish much greater things than people working separately and individually. I also believe that adopting and applying a principle directed rather than an entirely faith based movement would be more successful.

It's my opinion that a secular directed effort can accomplish greater things than faith based efforts because religions are divisive and fraught with error. The difficulty is in getting people to join a secular movement because humans seem to only join when they think god in directing their particular movement. Perhaps this is because people are only willing to surrender their will to an authority greater and more trustworthy than one directed by wisdom of men. Also people find it difficult agreeing on much of anything.

I channel some of my energy resulting from the anger of witnessing the magnitude of suffering resulting from injustice, deceit and error into studying the nature of the problems and finding solutions. I know it sounds quite arrogant to suggest that I might find the answers to world problems but remember, I am an idealist.

My "good cause" is to first attain knowledge and an understanding and then promote them with compassion as its underlying ideal. Knowledge, compassion and honesty are all secular ideas with greater value/virtue than blind faith. Truth, in as much as we are able to discern and discover it, is the highest ideal and the only thing to which we are bound. Compassion is optional but remember the golden rule, what goes around comes around. Here is a quote I like that seems to fit here. "The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion." – Arthur C. Clarke

Posted by: Jajisee ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 06:14PM

I'm very interested in the things people have learned in their lives. These "principles" might be teaching--however only if the person is learning. Saul Alinsky once said that "Most people do not accumulate a body of experience. Most people go through life under-going a series of happenings which pass through their systems undigested. Happenings become experiences when they are digested, when they are reflected on, related to general patterns, and synthesized.” Saul Alinsky, Rules for Radicals, quoted by Henry Mintzberg in “The Five Minds of a Manager” HBR 11/03

That rang true to me. Albert Ellis discouraged people from using the stative verbs like "is". That rang true to me after all the testimony meetings with people saying "I KNOW ..."

I collected a dozen people's "life's learnings" and included them in my Book of Proverbs in my book, A Song of Humanity: A Science-Based Alternative to the World's Scriptures.

I wonder what the summary of YOUR life's learnings, not quoting someone else, would be? What has your life taught you? I'm curious...

Date: July 15, 2018 07:04PM

hooper48 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder what the summary of YOUR life's
> learnings, not quoting someone else, would be?
> What has your life taught you? I'm curious...

If you're asking me, I have a long list of what I've learned. I've lived a long time.

1 Life is best lived with a sense of humor. It has great healing powers.

2 As a musician, I've learned that music is a necessary part of my life. It's an amazingly powerful healer.

3 Children don't come with instructions. They are all unique. I had to learn how to work with each one, differently.

4 I learned that guilt, and shame are self sabotage.
Guilt is good for about three minute to figure out what happened and fix it if I can.

5 I learned that I continue to learn something new every day.

6 It's OK to make mistakes, errors, be wrong. It's also OK to fix any of those.

7 I learned I don't need faith in deities or religious rules and regulations and promises of rewards or punishments in some afterlife.

8 I learned that placing my faith in myself, others, the consistency of the universe, is very powerful.

9 I learned how to be authentic by owning my own power.

10 I leaned that living in the present is where I want to put my focus. The past is gone. I don't live there anymore.

11 I've learned that I only have a finite number of years to learn as much as I can.

12 I've learned that I am fine creating my own World View. It's OK not to have a religious attachment to faith based beliefs.

13 I've learned that I prefer to be upbeat, positive, look for the good, the best as much as possible. It's so much more fun, that way.

14 I've learned it takes too much energy to be angry (emotionally) and upset.

15 I've learned that it takes a lot of hard work, determination, persistence, and consistency to overcome a serious illness.

16 I've learned to never, ever give up. Not on me, or on others.

17 I've learned there is a big wild world of people and information out there and I am only touching a tiny spec.

18 I've learned that keeping my self respect and self confidence set on high is important to my well being.

19 I've learned that having an attitude of gratitude is a fun way to live.

20 I've learned that my family is number one in my life. Our consistently, loving relationships are paramount.

21 I've learned not to take anything personally.

22. I've learned that the greatest unhappiness comes from emotional attachments to unfulfilled expectations.

That's a start. I have more. This ought to hold you for awhile!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.