Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 03:59PM

When the church let all the janitors go, the leaders said it wasn't about saving money. It was, they claimed, a way to give members more opportunities to serve.

If that were true, and they weren't trying to save money, why not keep paying the janitors? Talk is cheap, isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 06:14PM by donbagley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 04:30PM

Personally I don't mind cleaning up after myself and using a toilet brush. But after coming home from a family reunion I heard lots of stories about the liquid waste in the church houses and how on occasion it wafts through the building right at the most spiritual moments. And also there are some don't know how to clean up liquid mess and have used brooms and dustpans on the explosions on the floor, and let it drip all over the church house.

And then there are occasionally those that vandalize and deliberately clog toilets and let them overflow. What's the answer? Probably teach everyone how to clean up after themselves instead of SS.

Posted by: FTG ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 04:40PM

Chapel cleaning was supposed to bring blessings and instill pride in a person's accomplishment.

What is has done here is burdened already over-worked laborers resulting in unclean bathrooms, unvacuumed carpets, and unsanitary drinking fountains.

Short of the walls of jute which have no real value and are impossible to clean, the janitors kept the premises well tended.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 02:53PM

FTG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chapel cleaning was supposed to bring blessings
> and instill pride in a person's accomplishment.
>

Wait.. isn't pride a sin?

Posted by: MomLDS ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 05:55PM

I have no problem working when I am physically able at the church for help. I have not worked due to ongoing helathproblems in 18 months. Surgeries etc... now they are switching who we go to for help and those people are spiritually, emotionally and physically unavailable. they said they were not doing it correctly according to the handbook.A re their changes in other wards?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 05:03PM

It also gave gainful employment to members who needed it. The janitor we had when I was growing up was the best! He kept the building in tip top shape all the time and also protected it from those who were up to no good. He was so protective of the keys and who got them. It was truly a sad day when I learned the janitorial staff would no longer have jobs.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 05:43PM

Mormon church members already do plenty of volunteer work, especially with their callings. As we know, a number of members in smaller wards and branches often have multiple callings. But even that is not enough for their greedy overlords.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 07:07PM

When they fired the janitors and turned cleaning over the the members, my old ward was told it was so the brethren could use the money saved elsewhere. That line, coming from one of the richest corporations on earth, always made me cringe.

Date: July 13, 2018 07:41PM

Especially when elsewhere means stocks and real estate.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 11:53AM

Let me guess how many of the brethren volunteered to scrub toilets.

Date: July 15, 2018 02:54PM

A rare burst of honesty.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 08:47PM

...look, all this whining is not going to get the job done. Put your shoulder to the wheel and just DO IT!!!! All this hand wringing and selfishness just makes the task that much more difficult! More complaints will just be forwarded to the Stake President...…...damn it!!….your Temple Recommend IS AT RISK!!

https://annlaemmlenlewis.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/2015-4-21-cleaning-church-3.jpg

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 08:59PM

For those curious about what commentary went with the photo...

https://annlaemmlenlewis.com/2015/04/22/every-member-a-janitor/

She avers that mormonism has no paid clergy, and that cleaning the chapel is fun.

Date: July 13, 2018 09:13PM

...exactly. She knows where her priority's lie. Thank you for helping HER to do the work that she knows is so desperately needed!!

Bless you my son!

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 10:00PM

It goes along with all the other LDS lies ("truths").

It wasn't about saving money but having people work for free (slaves), and ADMONISH one another (like everything else) for it.

Just another way to coral the 'member'... and hope they don't remember.

M@t

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 10:01PM

Is Concerned Citizen serious or joking?

Date: July 13, 2018 11:28PM

My guess is he was practicing the ancient art of sarcasm, which was taught to Adam & Eve in the Garden by a loving ghawd.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 10:27PM

Perhaps irony. But Concerned Citizen 2.0 is the moniker used by Mormons Are Hypocrites and Vigilant and others.

Assuming this is the same person, it is only a matter of time before he starts posting about Mormon women, incest, and Baha'i.

The writing style is nearly identical, too.

We'll see. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 10:29PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 15, 2018 02:56PM

I am Spartacus!

Date: July 16, 2018 04:09PM

...OK. I can be anybody you want me to be. A bit confused, but anxious with anticipation!! Should I submit DNA samples to MyAncestry.com?...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 11:38PM

Tom Sawyer Lives !!!

Date: July 14, 2018 01:10AM

Last week a really nice couple cleaned the church and loved it! It was the best of times, and don't you want some of that juice?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 03:56PM

Hilarious!

Can't people see through this hype?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 03:01PM

All B.S.aside it is forever and always about money!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 03:12PM

I don't like to use dirty restrooms and would never attend a church that threatened my health. As far as being responsible for cleaning, I wouldn't do it. I do clean my own home but I don't enjoy it and would never clean a church or other place where crowds go.

I'm disgusted by the descriptions of mormon ward houses. They sound similar to roadside restrooms for tourists along highways.

Some people aren't as squeamish as I am and they deserve good pay for doing a job I'd never do.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 05:47PM

Yes, LDS Inc. is stingy with their cash. But, janitorial services are a drop in the bucket to their massive wealth. I've always thought that having members clean the church was about exerting control and keeping members from being uppity. Nothing reinforces obedience like having dentists, accountants and insurance salesmen cleaning toilets in the one true church.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 10:19PM

So I say, give her a break, unless she's been guilted or manipulated into the work assignment.

"Findhorn" is a New Age community in Scotland. For 130-330 pounds ($172-$330, sliding scale), you can spend a week fixing, cleaning, and otherwise maintaining the campus. They call it "Love In Action." My atheist brother just spent a week there, and said he had "real breakthroughs." (But he wasn't working.)

https://www.findhorn.org/programmes/maintenance-at-the-park/

Appalachian Mountain Club also depends upon self-funding volunteers for trail and facilities repair and maintenance.

My church has 8 families/volunteers who rotate through a cleaning itinerary comprised of 4 assignments.--the VacuumFiend

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 14, 2018 10:26PM

People would feel more appreciated and respected if they were paid for their labor, and probably do a better job than volunteering their time.

In the former days when janitorial cleaning people were paid by TSCC for the meeting houses, they had a stable consistent person that could be counted on, who was compensated for his or her work.

Isn't that the Mormon way to be self-reliant? Yet the church aka cult wants its labor for free now while it keeps sucking the members dry of their time and talents, and bleeding their pockets. It takes, takes and takes, giving so little in return.

WhenWillTheyLearn.org

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 11:40AM

I resigned from the mormon church in 1994. But there is just no way I would do janitorial work at my church at any time.

I don't even do the self-check-out at Home Depot. When they ask why, I ask when the last time was when they went to McDonalds and were told where the raw meet and raw buns were kept, and were told to cook their own hamburgers.

If a church wants my moral support, they need to be a moral religion that does good things to make the world a better place. If they want financial donations from me, they better have clean carpets and clean restrooms or better have a damn good reason for why they can't pay to keep them clean. If the local members refused to do the work, the church would hire paid janitors again. When various examples of grotesque health abuses found in mormon church buildings start showing up in the daily newspaper, the church will relent. Every volunteer church building cleaner does a dis-service to their fellow man.

Mormonism is slavery. They oppress anyone who will allow themselves to be oppressed. Expecting ward members to clean the building is the last straw. Time to RESIGN people. Don't try to negotiate. Don't give your bishop or stake president a reason. Just stick to your decision and tell them (in writing), that you are no longer a member of their church and to please remove your name accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 11:47AM by azsteve.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 03:38PM

Anyone who owns property knows that part of retaining it's value is upkeep, cleaning, etc. It's an odd decision for a large church/ heavy in real estate holdings,to discontinue one of the most important parts of maintaining property. Very bad business practice, turning upkeep over to volunteers. Most of these volunteers are not skilled, and have no idea what cleaning a large building entails or how to do it properly. Nor do they have to proper equipment and supplies.
It makes no sense.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 15, 2018 03:56PM

@SusieQ#1.;
"It makes no sense."

It makes total sense if you understand my comment, above.;

"Yes, LDS Inc. is stingy with their cash. But, janitorial services are a drop in the bucket to their massive wealth. I've always thought that having members clean the church was about exerting control and keeping members from being uppity. Nothing reinforces obedience like having dentists, accountants and insurance salesmen cleaning toilets in the one true church."

Posted by: Timetoclean ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 04:20PM

Here’s what I propose- a cleaning mission. Where you are called both young and older missionaries to just travel around cleaning up chapel poo - it is the lawds work

Date: July 16, 2018 05:31PM

At first flush, your post sounds silly, but imagine the humility one would possess at the end of the calling!!

Too bad the steam ran out on the "Every Member A Custodian" movement.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 06:24PM

Remind everyone to use the bathroom at home immediately before leaving for church. After each hour during the service, allow those who have need 15 minutes to go to a nearby business and use their facility before returning to church. Problem solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 06:25PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 07:17PM

I walk by a stake center when I walk my dogs in the morning. They have large areas of grass that used to be green all the time. Now they are letting the grass burn. Like clockwork, some mowing company comes by on Thursday mornings and mows, but the grass just keeps getting more and more "dead."

I live in an area that has an irrigation system and we pay a flat fee for our watering (and it isn't much). We aren't being limited on our water usage. The stake center 2 blocks from my house still has green grass. I can't figure out why they aren't watering their lawn. Some if it is beyond help. They'll have to replant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 07:17PM by cl2.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 07:28PM

Same ten people do all the work...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 07:40PM

My TBM mom told me awhile back that some wards had a difficult time getting member-slaves to show up that they coughed up the money to have the ward and stake buildings professionally cleaned by outside contractors. So, yes the church can pay when it needs to. This was northern Calif.

Date: July 16, 2018 09:04PM

I see a significant difference!! The church is not paying for the outside services, the members are. They are 'coughing up the money', not the church.

Those members should be encouraged to deduct what they pay from their tithings. But their bishop probably won't think they have that divine right.

Date: July 16, 2018 09:28PM

The wealthiest in Mormonism pay nothing. The paupers give far too much. It's expected of them.The church is a criminal enterprise.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 02:37PM

If they have brains they will deduct the "coughed up money" from their tithes.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 02:40PM

A lot of the cleaning is indeed done by elderly members.

So why can't the higher-ups in SLC who are of similar age show up for cleaning duty?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 07:44PM

IMO, asking members (who turn out to be only the TBM's who respond) to clean the building is outrageous!

The church is rich. (Most) of the TBM's are not.

Plus, it is the TRM's who are asked--and expected--to spend their time and efforts on so many other projects (i.e., home "ministering" (ha!), teaching S.S. classes, take time out to add this nonsense to their busy schedules (work, home and church duties), etc.

I am truly discussed with the church leaders' gull to add this burden on to the back of TBM!

As my husband used to say about such injustices: Grrrrrrrrr.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 07:47PM

Since I keep hoping for lawsuits that will break the church, I am now hoping someone (many someones) will sue over health issues contracted from a dirty church.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 10:18PM

Is there a government agency with the authority to shut down a church if the health hazards are too big? Maybe the department of health? I don't know if they have jurisdiction unless food is being sold.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 03:00PM

I saw the health department shut down a school that I was working at once because the building temperatures were unacceptably high. The school was closed for a week until a new central air unit was installed. The health department stepped in because it was contacted by our union.

It can't hurt to ask the health department if they can intervene whenever you ever see an unhealthful situation in a given facility.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 16, 2018 11:13PM

This is so disgusting. I’m glad I stopped going before “ every member a janitor “. I remember our janitor at our ward . He was very nice. I remember him opening and closing the church for our Monday night young adult home evening. The church was always clean. I can imagine how clean they’re now when people are forced to clean them . They probably just do enough to get by, no elbow grease or anything. Some people probably just wipe the surface, instead of deep cleaning.
Who wants to clean others messes? If you’re going to get that gross, at least get paid cleaning hotel rooms.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: July 17, 2018 01:16PM

I heard my brother finished his duty cleaning the church. He had a stroke a few months ago and has cognitive and physical impairments. I cannot reconcile this... Shouldn't the old and afflicted be provided for by a loving charitable church? Yet a large number of cleaners are elderly and afflicted. Simply awful.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 03:05PM

I have another question:
If I were injured who pays the doctor?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.