Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:00AM

A couple of weeks ago, we were sharing books and thangs.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2133286,2133286#msg-2133286

Book report time!

I finished _The Man in the High Castle_, and ¡damn! I was disappointed. I got to the ending and was like "whaaaa?"

I like Philip K. Dick. I like _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_. I didn't mind that "Bladerunner" was significantly different. I even enjoyed "Bladerunner 2" or whatever it's called. But _The Man in the High Castle_? I vote for the TV series and not the novella, because it sure as shit was crap.

Then I read an author elderolddog likes: _Dead Watch_ by John Sandford. I enjoyed it, but holy cow all the boob and butt descriptions. Here's my book review: All women in the book have lovely boobs and butts. The End. :P

For sci-fi/fantasy folks, I recommend _Record of A Night Too Brief_ by Hiromi Kawakami. Excellent.

Right now I'm reading _The Hair of Harold Roux_ by Thomas Williams. So far I like it a lot. The plot lines better work out, though, because I don't know which one I'm in right now.

And here's a joke:

Gaslighting is trying to convince your girlfriend that she's crazy. That's a dick move.
Trying to convince your girlfriend that she's an android? That's a Philip K. Dick move.

I'll be here all week.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:04AM

56 Counties by Russell Rowland. I'm learning some Montana history, which I assume I'll forget later.

Date: July 21, 2018 12:07AM

I KID MONTANA PEOPLE! Big Sky! Yay!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 04:39AM

Ha ha!

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:40AM

Hans Rosling "Factfulness".

Recommended by Bill Gates.

Loving it.

Date: July 21, 2018 01:29AM

I've reread the previous thread to find things to read. I'll do the same with this one. Thanks for the recommendation. :-)

My thanks applies to all of you. Except for Don. He's just silly. <3

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:51AM

Due to problems with glasses, I haven't been reading at my normal voracious pace lately. Went to a second eye doctor, who said that the prescription I got recently was totally off the wall, and recommended a radically different change. At between $400 and $500 per pair of glasses, (blended trifocals,) this is somewhat discouraging.

Fortunately, I had laid in a good supply of audiobooks by favorite authors, so when I'm not up to actual reading, I enjoy listening to stories. My audiobooks are a collection of books I have already experienced in print, and like, so I know that whatever I choose to listen to is already a hit.

Current "reading" book is "The Murder Book," by Jonathan Kellerman, and current audiobook is "The Bone Bed," by Patricia Cornwell. Both books feature characters that I know and like.

Date: July 21, 2018 01:26AM

I, too, wear progressive trifocals or whatever they're called, and they are not conducive to reading at times. I'm broke as a joke, so I download eBooke from the library and make the text comfortably large and try to not beat myself up about this part of life where my various bits and pieces wear down.

I think that whether you're hearing the words in your own voice or in someone else's, your mind still paints the picture. That's the important part.

My love to you, dear darling.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 02:36AM

I love the Kellermans and Patricia Cornwell too.

Good to hear you are enjoying the audio books now, catnip. I never thought I would but I'm trying them out for driving times. The beautiful voices readers have are a surprise, delight and mystery to me.

Funny how someone can dream up a non-existent person and make them so real.

I lent my brother a mystery/thriller series I just finished by an Irish writer (gotta love those Irish wordsmiths). The best compliment I ever heard about an author is when my brother finished the last page of the last book and plaintively said: "I'm gonna miss that Irish cop" (the main character). It made me laugh because I well know that feeling that someone in a book cannot possibly be a figment, they're so real. And I want to take them to the pub.

And what's with authors only writing one book a year? Not. Fast. Enough.

I'm into Bernard Cornwell (again) now. Funny how your tastes can change. For so long I haven't been able to stand anything dark or war-like or sad and definitely not medical (I get a bellyful of the latter at work). But I'm tougher now and can take some of the former a bit better. Still can't stand violence though. Or too much suspense. I am an author's worst nightmare perhaps as if it's too scary or tense I have to read from the end towards the middle first. Only then can I relax a bit.

I've belatedly started enjoying Philippa Gregory too (historical fiction - sounds like an oxymoron). At the moment I'm going through the ones about Henry VIII's wives. That should keep me busy for a while. Her others about lesser known women of the time are riveting as well. She has a lot of knowledge but also a great imagination.

Not my usual fare but I'm trying to branch out a little. I also enjoy various non-fiction topics but not for bedtime reading, which is more on the lines of Irish authors building homes on hillsides and my favourite Scottish guy (Alexander McCall Smith) and his collection of funny dogs (and their people). He also wrote a hilarious and enjoyable light story about a bulldozer. Crazy! I like it when words and concepts and stories make me laugh.

Happy summer reading, all! (I love these threads).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 12:59PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 01:38AM

The Deep State: How an Army of Bureaucrats Protected Barack Obama and Is Working to Destroy the Trump Agenda

By Jason Chaffetz

Date: July 21, 2018 01:42AM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 01:51AM

:)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 02:26AM

For real? Lottie, you're full of surprises!

I've been doing a lot of investment research to rebalance my portfolio, going from large corporations with a world/international slant to small & midcap, US firms. I stick with mutual funds and ETFs.

On the pleasure side, I came across a 1902 edition of The Virginian, which I never read, and am deep into it.

I finished the Vietnam novel, "Matterhorn," and have been sketching out a one-star review on it.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 04:56AM

"Chiropractic Abuse An Insider's Lament"
"Lab Girl"
"Red Notice"
"In Order to Live"
"Astrophysics for People in a Hurry"

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 07:18AM

Astrophysics. I definitely need that one. :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 07:26AM

MexMom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry"

In a nutshell, "Don't drive faster than your guardian angels can fly."

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 07:49AM

Reading some true crime!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 10:02AM

The Other Woman by Daniel Silva. Sadly just learned that Philip Kerr has died. No more of his brilliant Bernie Gunther novels.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 11:29AM

My main reading objective over the last few years has been circa anthropology. I have been reading and studying translations of Sumerian cuneiform, especially Lost Book of Enki, Epic of Gilgamesh,Enuma Elish and like books. My purpose has been the re-evaluation of ancestral documents from which the Hebrew bible, AKA Old Testament was derived.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 11:30AM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:20PM

"Lost City of the Monkey God" by Douglas Preston. A true account of the discovery of an ancient city in the jungles of Honduras. Mormon archeologists even get a mention for their lack of success in finding evidence for their favorite book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.