Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Garmentless ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 06:52PM

Wearing sleeveless dresses with garments protruding down barren womens' shoulders must be the new version of sacredness gone astray.

I'm a garment-wearing temple-going moron, and I wear proof of my faithfulness and tithe-paying ability.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 07:09PM

It's over when the members collectively decide it's over -- and by "it" I mean garments, the temple, the three hour block, multiple callings, two year missions, cleaning the chapels, tithing, or whatever else they are fed up with. There is already some push-back on garments, and to a smaller degree on refusing missions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 07:09PM by summer.

Date: July 22, 2018 08:16PM

I agree. I have seen wedding dresses with lace sleeves where garments are visible used during temple weddings recently. Sleeves on wedding dresses always covered the garments.

Garments showing through thin outer sweaters that were not covered by blouse sleeves is seen here.

We live in the south-eastern portion of the US. Hopefully, this will spread back to Utah.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 07:13PM

My mother was devout. BUT..she tucked the cap sleeve of the garment inside and stitched it in place. She could not stand the sight of the garment slightly showing through the upper sleeves of her white blouses. She thought nothing of it and never felt any guilt about doing it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 07:17PM

And why would she!!

The original garment was sleeved to the wrist. If it was okay to reduce that length, then obviously it no longer matters.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 08:35PM

Oh the good old days were not so good.

Never missed pantaloons; they were before my time.

Girdles, anyone remember those awful things? That was the 60's version of the corset.

Garments were always too butt ugly for my liking. Which may be why I had an aversion to going to the temple as a young adult TBM. Now I'm very glad I did!

Seeing my parents wearing them was enough deterrent for me lol.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 08:39PM

If the Morg were smart, it would simply allow today’s members to get tattoos—a square on one breast, compass on the other, a navel mark, and a right knee mark. Hey, my wife can got her eyeliner tattooed! And, the brethren would never ever have to worry about folks taking off their garments, even during swimming or sex.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 02:09AM

I thought they had made the garmies sleeveless. I’ve seen several pics of active Mos wearing sleeveless dresses. Are you sure they haven’t?

Date: July 23, 2018 11:35AM

They no longer make women's garmies with attached cup sleeves. However, there is sufficient shoulder material that covers and extends over women's shoulders that is visible beyond shoulderless dresses.

My guess would be that the TBMs in the photos have tucked their garments so the shoulder portions do not show.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.