Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 05:40PM

It technically doesn’t involve an actual tea plant...but is it under the “coffee” category?

(Actual debate some people got into)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 09:31PM

Why do you care? Do you feel ashamed to have some TBM see you drinking it--especially a family member?)

Tell them your doctor told you it wouldn't hurt anything (health wise) to do so.

Best Wishes

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 09:33PM

Totally 100% irrelevant to anything that actually matters.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:02AM

I would have to say yes, if you ask a church authority. It is from the coffee plant.

It sounds yucky to my taste buds. Like pablum, er Postum might taste. Postum is the Mormon coffee since it's made from barley. It tastes putrid.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 12:59AM

Here in Europe it was Caro. Absolutely disgusting..

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 11:05AM

In Brazil they had Cevada. I think it was made from left over garbage or maybe wheat.

Date: July 21, 2018 11:30PM

Just purchased some mint hot cocoa for the keurig. With the Junior Mints logo.

It's good and sweet. That's okay with the WoW, since it doesn't ban sugar. Though it should. Is caffeine really so much worse than a cup of hot chocolate with its corresponding sugar rush?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 02:01AM

Caffeine is no longer banned after president monsoon was observed numerous times consuming pepsi.

Date: July 22, 2018 09:43PM

Hot cocoa is loaded with caffeine to go along with its sugar content.

Double buzz, and burnout. :/

Date: July 22, 2018 09:44PM

Pepsi is known to cause dementia. Didn't Monson suffer from that before he died? (Pepsi and old age is a double whammy!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 09:45PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 05:58PM

Please cite scientific studies that show Pepsi or any cola for that matter cause dementia

Date: July 23, 2018 09:58PM

"Sugary soft drinks are killing your brain — and diet versions are even worse!

Two new studies done by the same team of Boston University researchers revealed a "very strong suggestion" that not only do sugary soft drinks shrink the human brain and reduce memory capacity but sugar-free versions lead to higher chances of stroke and dementia.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/sugary-drinks-linked-alzheimer-dementia-memory-loss-article-1.3085448#

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diet-soda-and-dementia-what-you-need-to-know/

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2017/diet-soda-high-risk-dementia-stroke.html

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 09:26AM

My mother drank POSTUM (blow torched ground up dirty wheat) after she converted....disgusting.

Date: July 22, 2018 09:46PM

Tried drinking Postum as a kid. Don't see how anyone can get used to that. Coffee is an acquired taste. But Postum? Not so much. It's still awful, no matter.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 12:01PM

Use Socratic questions to take the TBM critic on an illogical wild goose chase.

"I can drink it because it's not a heated beverage."
"But coffee and tea are heated beverages."
(Clink ice cubes in glass) "This isn't. Do you object because this has caffeine? We can drink caffeine. First it was Mountain Dew. Then Mitt Romney was seen with Diet Coke, and President Monson with sugared Pepsi."
"It's still wrong."
"Let's get the D&C out, and the WoW. Show me where, and how."

etc. etc.
The only conclusion is that a certain church authority has declared it to be wrong. If you can get your TBM to that point, then you can explain that JS and BY consumed alcohol, but at some point that, too, became wrong. You might want to bring out this verse: "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." (Col. 2:8)

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 12:37PM

I always wondered about “ hot drinks”, just the term alone. Soup/ broth is hot also. Why is caffeine from pop ok now, but not tea and coffee, The only danger I see is if you spill it on yourself.
Hot chocolate is dangerous too if you spill it on yourself, every bit as “ hot” as coffee.
Chocolate can also rot your teeth, so it’s a health hazard there.
Tea and coffee may stain teeth, but not rot them.
Of course , if you’re a guy with rotten , missing teeth , you can lie and say that you used to play hockey, but you’d have to have the knowledge and be fit to pull that off.
Like Amy said, sugar is a lot worse.
So, if I drink hot tea and let it get cold, I’m good?
Same drink.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 04:36PM

Don't try to crack the code because they keep changing the cipher. And the rate of change is increasing. Just remember to answer in the affirmative when asked if you keep it. Like George Kastanza said, it's not a lie if you believe it.

Posted by: Joe-T ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 09:40PM

Thanos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It technically doesn’t involve an actual tea
> plant...but is it under the “coffee” category?
>
>
> (Actual debate some people got into)

What's the debate?

Health? Rules? "Feelings"?

You follow whose "words of wisdom"? Yours

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 11:41AM

By the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood, which I no longer hold I grant unto thee special dispensation to break, shatter, and bend the Word of Wisdom as thou seest expedient. Therefore, it mattereth not whether any substance contravenes the word given unto my servant Joseph--for behold he made stuff up all the time.

Seek diligently medical information from thy doctor and from thine local library about whatsover things thou plannest to ingest or inhale. Behold, this dispensation does not free you from the consequences of any decisions you make.

Thus speaks Lard Jellohim Almighty through his servant snowball Amen.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 11:52AM

That’s good! Thanks for the blessing, now we can bloody well drink and do as we want ,without guilt , like his servant ,JS ( unfortunately no one in the true church believes it , nor admits it), through his servant Snowball

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 11:57AM

The WoW was never about what was healthy and what wasn't.
It was, initially, a combination of acceptance of the fads of the day, and a sop thrown to Emma -- who was tired of cleaning up tobacco-chewing spit on the floors of her house.
Later, it was entirely and simply about obedience.
And it still is.

Posted by: Aanonn ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 12:06PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 06:19PM

Leaf tea alone, coffee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.