Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 09:59AM

We used to have parades on July 24th in the Morridor (and my California stake when I was six.) The parades were festive each year.

The children dressed up as pioneer children, seagulls, and crickets. It was fun and games to us back then. While teaching us a lesson on early Mormon history.

How much that has to do with reality, is now become another Mormon narrative on how the myth became legend. Some facts based on what a historian was able to extract of the myth ...

"The Miracle of the Gulls":

It begins in 1848, after the Mormons had successfully endured their inaugural winter in the Salt Lake Valley. The fiercely determined band of pioneers had prepared fields of grain the previous autumn so that they would be ready to grow the following spring. At first, it appeared their savvy agricultural efforts would be rewarded. But, so the story goes, their luck changed for the worse.

Susa Young Gates, in her 1930 biography of her father, Brigham Young (second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and first governor of the Utah territory), chronicled this tribulating event in Mormon history:

"Just as the crops were giving promise of a much needed harvest, swarms of crickets hovered over the ploughed lands like a devastating army, darkening the earth for miles around, eating off every blade of grass and every growing thing."

According to Gates, the pioneers tried everything to drive away the crickets, but to no avail. Eventually they resorted to a "three-day fast and prayer," which yielded miraculous results.

"And behold, a miracle! Rising from the borders of the lake appeared myriad snow-white gulls. From whence they came and what was their purpose, the pioneers could not determine. Settling upon fields, black with the millions of crickets, the gulls seized them and swallowed them as if unable to fully gorge themselves. When their crops were full, the birds would hop over to a ditch, bank or convenient hillock and disgorge themselves, and then return again to feed upon the countless crickets. The people stood in awe at this direct answer to their prayer."

Alas, the Mormons were saved by the seagulls' ravenous appetite for (and intermittent repulsion of) cricket meat.

As a result of this and other, similar accounts of seagull salvation, the California seagull has evolved into a revered Utah symbol. Various monuments have been constructed in its honor, including one at Temple Square in downtown Salt Lake City. The "sea gull" was adopted as Utah's official state bird in 1955 through an act of the state Legislature. Salt Lake City even once hosted a minor league baseball team nicknamed the "Gulls," until the team moved to Calgary in 1985 and became the "Cannons."

Behold, a Seagull Skeptic!

This is a great story. You're gonna love it.

Back in the 1980s, Utah archaeologist David Madsen would stop by his father's house once in awhile to visit and chat. His father, renowned Utah historian Brigham Madsen, was enjoying the outset of a fairly energetic retirement at this point in his life, still immersed in research and various writing projects. One day, the two were talking about the seagull story we've all heard since birth, and it got the elder Madsen wondering.

"He started looking into it," David recalls, "and he couldn't find hardly any written evidence that there was anything like what was claimed to be this seagull miracle."

While he did come across utterances of cricket infestations from Mormon diarists, Brigham didn't find quite the same desperation and despair over crickets that the typical, modern-day seagull story describes. Moreover, there was very little evidence that seagulls played a significant role in resolving any cricket problem. Though there are accounts of seagulls and other birds eating the crickets, many journals from the time didn't even mention seagulls.

But perhaps the biggest problem with the "miracle" is a very practical one. In fact, it's so simple that I can't believe it never occurred to me: Crickets are food, too.

"A lot of Native American foragers were eating insects of one kind or another," David points out. "And there's a whole array of ethnographic and ethnohistorical data on how they were doing that—how they were capturing them, how they were preparing them, how they were eating them."

In other words, the original Salt Lake Valley residents would have viewed a cricket invasion as a bountiful blessing, not a plague. Actually, a cricket harvest would be especially facile and plentiful compared to just about any other food source in the West. To illustrate, Madsen uses a colorful comparison: "I estimate that if a whale fell out of the sky, you could get more calories just eating the crickets than you could cutting up that whale."

The Mormons were not uninformed about the insect-foraging strategies of Native Americans. Pioneers from that era commonly noted the locals' use of insects as a food source, and the more open-minded and/or pragmatic pioneers would even partake in a buggy meal every now and again. But ethnocentric attitudes toward agrarianism strongly influenced the early Mormons' reaction to the crickets—one Mormon pioneer described them as appearing to be possessed by "a vindictive little demon." Eating bugs was at best a last resort for the picky Mormons, but at least they had a pretty solid backup plan if their crops did fail.

Given all this evidence, the Madsens had discovered an alternate seagull story—one so firmly entrenched in history and science that they were beyond the point of believing the classic tale. So to set the record straight, they co-wrote an essay titled, "One Man's Meat Is Another Man's Poison: A Revisionist View of the Seagull 'Miracle,'" and they sent it off to Utah Historical Quarterly for publication.

At first, it appeared their savvy academic efforts would be rewarded. But, so the story goes, their luck changed for the worse.

"They refused to publish it," David remembers, "and not because it wasn't scholarly or anything, but because—and I think this is the quote: 'It's too fun-poking.'"

Obviously, the Madsens disagreed. But David had a hunch as to why the state's self-proclaimed "premier history journal" rejected the piece: "I guess it just ran too counter to the accepted story."

In his 1998 Against the Grain: Memoirs of a Western Historian, father Brigham (who died in 2010 at the age of 96) goes a step further in speculating why the essay was spurned. "We had first submitted this quite serious and scientifically oriented article to the Utah Historical Quarterly as a relevant narrative for Utah readers," he wrote. "But the reviewer, a professional Utah historian and a solid member of his Mormon faith, disapproved it on the grounds that it would be inappropriate for Mormon readers and that, besides, the title was an attempt to be 'cute.'"

The Madsens had to resort to printing their seagull story in the fall 1987 edition of Nevada Historical Society Quarterly. The publication ran it as their lead article. Despite this, there were no ensuing calls to bulldoze the Seagull Monument in Temple Square, and the "sea gull" was retained as Utah's official state bird. However, when minor league baseball returned to Salt Lake City in 1994, the new team abandoned the nickname "Gulls" and became the "Buzz" instead."

https://www.cityweekly.net/utah/a-seagull-story/Content?oid=3613991

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 04:59PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 10:06AM

Happy Pie and Beer Day.
Be sure to leave a piece of pie out for the seagulls to grab!

Date: July 24, 2018 10:28AM

Thanks Hie.

Sounds like a plan!

:)

Date: July 24, 2018 10:30AM

Actually, am sipping a cup of coffee while munching on a breakfast roll. Now that is a modern day miracle (coffee w/buttered roll!)

:)

Date: July 24, 2018 10:35AM

Coffee here, too.
No buttered roll.
They add to my own rolls :(

Date: July 24, 2018 10:42AM

Standing in front of in the coffee line were two Russians, speaking away in fluent Russian. That's what they were having as well, only coffee.

I wondered silently to myself whether they're paid spies or not. We seem surrounded by them online, and on American soil.

Cannot drink coffee on an empty tummy. Must have something to go with it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 10:35AM

If the seagull cricket miracle isn't true then why is there a statue of the seagulls in Temple Square? They wouldn't put up a statue if it wasn't true! Proof right there! Gotcha.

Now. About the statue of John the Baptist ordaining Joseph and Oliver . . .

Date: July 24, 2018 10:42AM

Hehehe.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 11:01AM

I wonder if seagulls taste like chicken.

Date: July 24, 2018 11:15AM

For their sake let's hope not!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 11:02AM

There is a way to make crickets more palatable, but they ran out of green Jello.

Date: July 24, 2018 11:15AM

I doubt you could pay me to eat insects. It would have to come down to starvation/survival matters for that to happen.

Must run in the DNA? There are cultures who consume insects as part of a supposedly healthy diet.

Not for moi!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 11:49AM

I have issues with you folks not realizing what a true miracle this was! Just as the 12 Tribes were fed with manna and quails in their wanderings, the Lord did not want to see his chosen New World Israel starve, so he sent them food — crickets.

I have eaten crickets — chipotle seasoned, chocolate covered, and with honey and nuts. Sure, the exoskeleton gives them an extra crunch, but it’s not unlike a chocolate-covered espresso bean.

There you have it, the Lord sent highly nutritious and protein-packed food, which the pioneeers (being unworthy because they masturbated) failed to recognize as food. The Pioneer’s Boner.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 12:05PM

Haha. Seagulls thanked God that his chosen were so unworthy of God's tender mercy. Seagulls probably have their own celebration of the 24th as well and call it the Day of the Great and Holy Feast, also known as Stupid Mormons Day.

One of the women at work brings crickets and eats them. Some others have tried them but I just can't. Not even if they were chocolate covered and had whipped cream--my great downfall. I'd eat a bale of hay if it had whipped cream and chocolate on it.

Date: July 24, 2018 12:14PM

Crickets sound disgusting no matter how they're sugar coated.

Blech, blech and more blech.

Date: July 24, 2018 12:22PM

Well, I do like lobster, and they’re REAL bottom feeders, or as the lobstermen call them—bugs.

Date: July 24, 2018 12:48PM

I used to like lobster, before taking my children out once to Red Lobster to celebrate something.

Was going to demonstrate to my children the right way to eat a lobster. But when the waiter brought that damn thing out on a tray, it looked like it could've walked off the plate. Its little bug eyes were staring straight back at me, and he was boiling red.

Sickened by then from the staredown from the lifeless little creature, I attempted to crack a shell to continue on with the "etiquette" lesson.. Instead, pieces of lobster started flying off my plate across the dining room. By then I was even more mortified.

My children had something else than lobster for their menu choices. In hindsight, so would I. :/

Date: July 24, 2018 08:18PM

(((Sigh))) I suggest a Maine lobster roll with the bun, meat, and butter only!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 11:52AM

The name Buzz was in honor of the buzzards who run the church.

Date: July 24, 2018 12:07PM

They're mostly invisible similar to a stealth bomber to the laypeople of TSCC. Except for bi-annual conferences, they are there to fleece the flock.

Buzz Lightyear to the rescue! He'll get em in one fell swoop!

https://video.disney.com/watch/buzz-lightyear-4be70ef8c1e40b6a6e9faf04

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 12:15PM

People celebrate by imbibing copious amounts of alcoholic beverages, such as green beer. How is Pioneer celebrated, by swilling large quantities of Mountain Dew?

Date: July 24, 2018 12:24PM

More likely A&W Root Beer or 7-Up. Pepsi is a popular choice as well among LDS. In other words, whateveh you like sans alcoholic beverages.

July 24th in the Morridor is as American as apple pie. Almost.

The parades of my youth are what I miss the most about them. They were fun and local events pretty much the entire community turned out for.

Date: July 24, 2018 12:27PM

No, my friend. TBMs really get into this. I can practically guarantee you that every LDS sacrament meeting in the Morridor was on “Our Pioneer Heritage.” And no, those of us who aren’t descended from Brigham and Co. weren’t grandfathered in to the heritage. It’s like Plymouth—you have to prove your heritage because those folks were worthier than the rest of us lazy pre-existence spirit-wankers.

There will be a BIG parade, a rodeo, fireworks, and much testimony sharing. “Honored, Blessed, Pioneer.” (Hymn from the LDS hymn book).

Date: July 24, 2018 12:36PM

My mom didn't descend from those pioneers. She got into form fairly quickly after converting following marriage to my dad.

She was more BIC than some of the best of them. You wouldn't have known the difference.

Even my dad had questions about Mormonism toward the end of his life. Not my mom. She was inactive by then and had reverted back to a cigarette habit. But she wouldn't be swayed that Mormonism is a ruse.

Don't ask me why. She wouldn't go to church because she didn't feel worthy enough. What REAL church would make its members feel like that because she smoked, and for a time shacked up with my jack Mormon stepdad?

Until they decided to tie the knot in Vegas one fine spring day. Mom liked being a Mrs as much as she did being a kept woman.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 01:16PM

In oh-so-politically-correct Massachusetts, ancestry from the Plymouth Brethryn (and Sistryn) is something shameful and never to be disclosed. In truth, the Plymouth Brethryn treated the native tribal peoples very well. Oppression and exploitation came later.

I may have Pilgrim ancestry (Richard Warren), but the genealogist who did the research, my father later disclosed, had a knack for finding somebody illustrious in people's family trees. So big friggin' deal. As I've posted a number of times, in America, what's important is not where you got here, or when, but who and what you are doing with your life, and what you make of it in the future..

I call myself a "Mongrel-American."

Date: July 24, 2018 01:43PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, my friend. TBMs really get into this. I can
> practically guarantee you that every LDS sacrament
> meeting in the Morridor was on “Our Pioneer
> Heritage.”

It goes deeper than that.
Ancestry DNA sent me an e-mail this morning (coincidence that it came on July 24th? I think not...), informing me that "You have a Pioneer ancestor!"

Of course, I not only have to click on the link to see the full details, but I have to enable a paid subscription as well (instead of the very limited free one I got with my DNA test).

I'll pass. I already know which g-g-g-grandpa was my "pioneer ancestor," and polygamist. :)

But see, even Ancestry is on on making Pioneer Day connections.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 10:44AM

In certain parts of Mexico fried crickets are used to chase mezcal. I've done it a few times and it was effen awesome.

A room temperature mezcal and some fried crickets at a table in a small square in the middle of colonial Merida.

Effen awesome.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 01:12PM

If you've ever been under a flock of flying seagulls you'll know why they're nicknamed Mormon Bombers.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 01:13PM

most at this time of year. People have the day off, except I don't. Not like I've ever been much of a celebrator of the 24th.

SLC you have to save your place starting the morning of the 23rd. That is the earliest you can save a place and, if you want to see the parade, you have to save a place. Then everyone stays all day and overnight. I think they have more fun doing that than the parade. It is going to be HOT by the time the parade is done. I've never been and have never wanted to go. I went to enough parades growing up in Brigham City for Peach Days. I've only been to the Hyrum 4th of July parade once, nowhere to sit, so I went home. Couldn't stand on the sidewalk as you had to keep moving. I had 2 toddlers at the time.

My grandparents were "pioneers," but I didn't know I was mormon royalty until I came to this board. I didn't know having early pioneers made you royalty.

My neighbor (bishop) is having a "neighborhood" picnic tonight with a bunch of fireworks. Everyone is invited to bring as many as they'd like. I'm SO EXCITED??????? I work tonight, so I'm extremely excited. My dogs never reacted to fireworks until the neighbors shot a bunch off on the 4th. It just never stopped. On and on and on and on.

Don't I sound like a party pooper!!!???

Date: July 24, 2018 05:06PM

Didn't we used to have fireworks on Pioneer Day? Or still do? We did when I lived in the Morridor, but that's been a long time ago.

I didn't know either having Mormon pioneer ancestors made someone Mormon "royalty" before coming to this board. Surprise, surprise.

Nor did I know how many ancestors of mine were before beginning researching my family tree some years back. More surprises. But then those ancestors were children of The Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812, and whatever came before that. That was more interesting to me than the Mormon stuff. If not for my Mormon relatives though, maybe there wouldn't be as much genealogy to find. They've been doing it for much longer than I have. One of my Jewish/Israeli cousins was the best of the best genealogists. He was able to find much history to go with the Jewish side of our family tree. I owe him a deep debt of gratitude. He was a consummate professional.

I'm very relieved that my family isn't related to Smith or Young. But then my ancestors followed their nonsense from the east coast all the way to Utah. They were salt of the earth, deceived by wolves in sheep's clothing. (Or just plain wolves.)

They were a faithful and devout people. That much I honor them for, and for the ties that bind one generation to another..

Pioneer Day will be something I'll get more than my fill of, when/if I'm able to move back west and retire to Utah or Idaho (my home sweet home.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 05:11PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: annabelle ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 05:58PM

I remember back when I was raising my small children and on Pioneer day in so CAl -I made cute pioneer costumes for my kids to wear. Found Coonskin caps for the boys and sewed prairie bonnets for the girls complete with calico dresses & aprons. We headed to the park where the stake had a picnic and games. The kids loved it.
Fast forward to today & these kids are grown with kids of their own. Instead of the sweet grandkids wearing Pioneer garb-they are decked out in patriotic red white and blue plus the stars and stripes. Just something I noticed.
Happy Pioneer day :)

Date: July 24, 2018 06:34PM

That is reminiscent of the one my family went to in Northern California (it was more than 50 years ago.) The little girl bonnets and prairie dresses were so darn cute.

Interesting how it's become more Americana oriented than LDS mythology from then to now.

Posted by: xxxMMooo ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 06:03PM

Amyjo Wrote:

> In other words, the original Salt Lake Valley
> residents would have viewed a cricket invasion as
> a bountiful blessing, not a plague. Actually, a
> cricket harvest would be especially facile and
> plentiful compared to just about any other food
> source in the West.

All well and fine, but this is one reason why the "original Salk Lake Valley residents" aren't around any more. Agrarian pioneers overwhelmed them with technology and population.

The wonderful technology of agriculture (developed in other parts of the world ten thousand years ago) allows support for a much larger population and infrastructure and properly managed can be used to avoid having to eat insects, other people, etc. Closer to our era, the Aztecs built a mighty empire with the help of agriculture rather than eating crickets.

Date: July 24, 2018 07:35PM

xxxMMooo Wrote:
> ...the Aztecs built a mighty
> empire with the help of agriculture rather than
> eating crickets.

"In addition to animal meat, the Aztec diet included some insects, such as worms, grasshoppers, ants, larva, and insect eggs – additional sources of protein."

https://healthandfitnesshistory.com/ancient-nutrition/ancient-aztec-nutrition/

Hey, how about that, agriculture and eating insects aren't mutually exclusive! :)

Posted by: xxxMMooo ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 11:48PM

It's not mutually exclusive with cannibalism, either

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 12:16AM

Crickets?

You could make some sort of Rice Crispy Treat out of em.

Date: July 25, 2018 06:41AM

One of my brothers ate a live grasshopper when he was a just a little boy.

Crickets are supposed to bring good luck if you find one in your home. I never tried to kill a cricket, though I don't hesitate to annihilate other insects inside my house. There are lots of crickets outside my house typically. I haven't seen as many this year, where we are having a drought - which is highly unusual for the northeast.

The flying ants that made their debut last summer came back again this season. I've become very proactive in ridding my home of these pests. Learned this year that a simple solution of dish detergent, water, and peppermint oil makes a really good repellent. Have been keeping them at bay so far this year. Next I treated the foundation of my house where they were coming in (I wasn't able to locate their colony,) with boric acid. It is working like a charm so far. Doing it myself has saved me hundreds of dollars in extermination fees. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.