Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 02:32AM

We found out that I was taking too much Metformin. I was taking two 500 mg pills a day(they are big pills). My body was reacting with the runs, being tired and hot spells. So now I'm back to taking one 500 mg Metformin during the evening.

So hopefully I'll be better soon I hope!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 03:12AM

I hope you will be better soon, A2!!

:)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 03:43AM

Feel better soon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 08:26AM

I hope that helps! When you first start a medication, it can take a while to get the dosage right. Patience is your friend.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 25, 2018 09:33AM

I didn't start getting hot flashes until after the docs put me on anti-estrogen meds following cancer treatment. That includes going through menopause without a single hot flash the entire time. Guess I should be thankful to have evaded them for so long?!

Finding the right balance is important with your meds as with other areas of your life. Hope you find yourself on the mend real soon.

:)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 01:26AM

in another lifetime!

I have been getting the hot flashes from Hell since getting off estrogen and being on the anti-estrogen medicine.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 27, 2018 06:18AM

Cool, I always wanted a sister. Hot flashes, not so much. :)

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 01:48AM

Eat a lot of oatmeal like Wilford Brimley suggested

Posted by: Metforminer ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 11:01PM

Ask for the EXTENDED RELEASE version of Metformin.

I had the same problem with the regular Metformin at the same dosage as you. I’ve had no problems on the “Extended Release”, and I take two 500 mg tabs per day.

Change your diet. Fresh fruits and veggies, less meat and no garbage food. I’ve lost a lot of weight and my blood sugar is often around 100.

Also, I take 2000 to 4000 mg of Cinnamon per day, in addition to other good vitamins. I’ve read that many people get off of Metformin by taking Cinnamon alone.

Good luck!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 27, 2018 06:51PM

I have 2 of those 500mg Metformin tablets in the morning and 2 at night.

Metformin is well known for giving you the runs early on. This does taper off after a while.

I am rather surprised that your Doctor reduced your Diabetes medication by 50%. After all, if your Diabetes had been under control, you'd not have required to be put on the higher dose in the first place.

Check your blood sugars at home on a regular basis and if your blood sugar is too high, ask your Doctor if there are any alternative medication he could put you on?

For example, Victoza injection pens are great and work very well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 06:52PM by matt.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 11:43PM

Just last week, my bloodwork came back showing that I just barely crossed the line between pre-diabetis and a diagnosis of diabetis. I have been on Metformin 500mg/day for less than a week now with barely-noticable side affects the first two days only. The third morning though, I woke up to discover (as soon as my feet hit the floor), that some partially numb (like a half awake, half asleep feeling) areas on both feet had nearly normal feeling in them again after a year of wondering what was causing the partial numbness. The diagnosis and apparent start of neuropathy is a good motivation to lose 50 lbs (my plan now). Most type-2 diabetics will live completely symptom free if they return to their ideal body weight and stay there. I dieted down to lose 50 pounds four years ago and then drifted back to where I started a few years later. I got a good reason now to do it again and to stay there.

Also, you may want to look in to look in to berberine. I found a few very credible appearing articles about medical studies showing that Berberine is every bit as affective as Metformin. It's an unregulated herb. I took it a few days with no symptoms and then stopped when I read that it diminishes the affect of my blood pressure medication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2018 11:48PM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.