Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: July 27, 2018 10:14PM

When I study the Bible, I like to check out Bible Videos on YouTube that teach about the subjects I'm reading. I am surprised at how many of these videos are put out by Mormons. They don't mention their LDS affiliation; rather they play mainstream, so they can sneak in an ever-so-subtle slant that might help the viewer to accept Mormon teachings at a later time in their lives.

As an ex-Mo, I find it easy to detect that a video has been put together by Mormons. In one video, I recognized the voice of a narrator used in the LDS edition of an audio Bible. Also, they displayed a picture of Jesus that usually only Mormons use. In one video about Jesus' Sacrifice, I clicked it only to see Jesus standing in some tall grass, supposedly depicting him atoning for the sins of Mankind. Other churches show Jesus upon the Cross as the Atonement. When they do show show Jesus in the Garden, he is praying with his hands folded upon a huge rock.

There are other clues that show up, clues that only a Mormon or ex-Mo would pick up on. Other people think that they are listening to a mainstream Christian video, and are learning only mainstream information. Sneaky Mormons!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 10:17PM by Josephina.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 12:43AM

So what are the criteria for a quality and reliable Bible video.

You seem to be setting the stage for an ad populum followed by a no true Scotsman.

Date: July 28, 2018 02:23AM

I'm simply interested in avoiding all religious material that has a subtle LDS bias. I know the Mormon mindset, because I was once caught up in it myself. I'm still struggling to get W. Cleon Skousen's Old Testament teachings out of my head. But at least in his day, Mormons weren't trying to sneak into the mainstream.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 08:32AM

I have not noticed that before. If its an LDS production don't they say so in the film or audio credits?

That is very deceptive if that's what Mormon Inc is up to now.

Would you mind sharing some links you found to be so?

Date: July 28, 2018 07:05PM

The videos I'm thinking of are made by individual Mormons rather than rather than the church itself--though you never know for sure whether the church might have some undercover involvement.

It was pretty late at night. I was tired, but I was looking for some information on the Old Testament verses I was reading. So I clicked a video, thinking I was getting mainstream Biblical information. I could tell quickly that it was made by a Mormon. I began to get irritated because this subject was about the priestly garments and the Urim and Thummin. I felt like the author was comparing this stuff to Mormon temples and garments--but not actually mentioning anything LDS. Like many Mormons feeling that the fringes showing out of the clothes can be compared to Mormon temple garments. I checked this person's other videos and he had more Bible subjects like this, as well as LDS temple videos. He wants both members and ex-Mo's who visit to see how the Bible stuff really can work with Mormon teachings. As well as try to plant seeds in unsuspecting never-Mo's.

Now that it is the next day and I am wide awake, I need to review what I was looking at, and see if it still annoys me and if I still thinks the slight slants are really there. I tend to feel put out by LDS attempts to mainstream themselves; I get angry at attempts to sneak up from behind as if to say: "See? We are like you after all! Let's all be Cozy Christians together." After years and years of snotty superiority to all other Christians. After calling their creeds abominations, after calling their ministers Servants of Satan. I remember a time when they wouldn't accept being referred to as a denomination; now they brag about being one.

I will review the videos and get back with links if I still feel that they are biased.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 07:28PM

That would irritate me too.

It does sound like a ploy to deceive viewers. You wouldn't know those terms w/o a Mormon background.

Date: July 31, 2018 02:21AM

Amyjo--I was sick for a few days. Here is a link to one video. Perhaps you being Jewish would know better than most here if this is a sneaky slant.
https://youtu.be/mznSvWsvOXc

I realize that some other denominations do slants, but most mainstream Christians are just interested in accurate Biblical information, not in luring people to their particular denomination.

I guess YouTube has changed? I no longer seem to be able to link their videos. I guess I'm technologically challenged! I'm supposed to be doing something different now, and I have to figure out what it is.

The name of the video is: Exodus 28- The Jewish Priestly Garments. Put out by Messages of Christ. He has some other videos like this, too.

Growing up as a Mainstream Christian, the people I knew didn't really care about denomination. They chose their churches according to convenience of location and whether the people were friendly. They wanted a good social fit without having to drive a zillion miles to get it. My parents did not choose according to the denominations they grew up in. It's the fringe groups that want to slant according to cult beliefs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 02:41AM by Josephina.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 09:21AM

Wondering if -- as dogblogger already alluded to -- the OP realizes that the "mainstream" videos ALSO sneak in their own ever-so-subtle (or not at all subtle) slants into their videos...

I'm guessing not.

dogblogger, I'm pretty sure we can include argumentum ad populum as well :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2018 09:22AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 03:02AM

ETExpunge: A joke too stupid even for me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 04:07AM by Lot's Wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.