Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:28AM

Before i go t attend the cult, i would lime to leave a question to find something interesting to read when i come back home.
In the 90s i heard that some areas in utah had a lot of satanic ritual activities. I read a little and found out that the church even addressed the issue back then.
In those days a frien told me "the head of the church is here, so is the head of the church of satan".
Just a note; remember i am doubting god, therefore satan too.
Anyway, just wanted to read your comments about this. This board is way instructive than the clases i will be attending today.
Have a great sunday!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:30AM

Have you ever researched satanism? You might be surprised. It's not about what church going people think it's about.

Posted by: kori ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:40AM

I think that what Mormonism has taught as satanism is what the LDS church actually teaches:

1) Yield your agency to another (follow the prophet, you cant go astray)

2) Don't think, obey (when the prophet speaks, the thinking has been done)

3) God does not speak to people (we don't know that we teach that)

4) money is the ultimate pursuit (poor people cannot attain spiritual fulfillment)

5) the Nature of God is unexplainable

6)They believe and teach a changeable God(I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity)

7) They are avid sign seekers

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:49AM

I went to BYU in the late 80's, and kept hearing about all of the satanic ceremonies in the mountains at night. Funny, never actually saw any tangible evidence for it. I think it was just one of those mythical, bullshit cultural hysteria things. Remember, mormons will believe anything.

Posted by: Homeless ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:16AM

Reading the Book of Mormon and praying for a testimony is sign seeking, number 7.

Posted by: Stephen Miller ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 01:51AM

In 2011 I moved to Utah to be with my recently wedded wife(now ex-wife)and this is where I experienced first hand evidence of Mormon ritual abuse which took place in the stake house using a pre-school child. I never would have dreamed such a thing but there are more Mormon Satanists than you can shake a stick at. It took three years but I finally got a sheriff investigation going but they couldn't investigate it as Satanism and told me later that my information proved correct but they wouldn't seek charges. Four sheriff deputies were friends with the main perpetrator. I'm getting my notes and other research in order to go public on this relatively soon.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 02:53PM

I'd like to know how you plan to do this since everyone's against you. Asking because I'd like to do something similar.

This discussion might need to be private. You can email me at

consolidated dot acct @ gmail dot com

Posted by: Need to Know ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 05:59PM

I'm interested in learning more about satanists in Ogden, Utah. Where do I go to find more info?

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:49AM

Mormonism claims to be the administrator of God's kingdom on the earth.

Mormonism is false.

Therefore, TBMs are actually members of Satan's kingdom.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:46PM

Good logic. My last words to the SP and his counselors were that TSCC was the church of Satan and it could go to h---

Posted by: josie ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:04PM

In the tiny Utah Mormon town in which I grew up, I remember hearing these rumors with specific people's names attached. It was usually talked about late at night in hushed tones, like telling ghost stories around the kitchen table.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:06PM

Satanism isn't what people think it is. You can get more information by visiting their website: http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Theory.html

Posted by: kori ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:20PM

there is a religion that is even dumber and more dilute than mormonism it is satanism.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:23PM

I kinda disagree. I think the Eleven Rules of the Earth represent a pretty decent ethical code for the most part, especially if you don't take words like "destroy" at face value and introduce some proportionality.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:11PM

I had looked into the occult a little bit, symbols, signs, etc, blew my mind when I went to nauvoo and saw those upside down stars on the temple there!

that went on the shelf for quite a while.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 03:54PM

My son has an LDS friend who wears one of those upside-down stars on a necklace she got from Deseret Book (or somewhere similar). Apparently she is kinda naïve and DS came home from school laughing about it. I'm really tempted to get one myself because I know some of my LDS friends are going to think it's a Satan worship sign and I'm going to love the look on their faces when I tell them it's on the Salt Lake Temple.

As far as those rumors of Satanic cults in Utah, we heard all about them when I was at BYU in the 80s. No proof, of course, but the legends abounded. Some friends and I went driving in a part of the benches rumored to have a lot of Satanic cults (can't remember now where it was) and got a very creepy feeling so we drove away fast. We'd probably just managed to scare ourselves though.

PS: Posting my fav websites again re: Mormons and Satanism:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/sinistersites/sinister-sites-temple-square-utah/

http://packham.n4m.org/satan.htm

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:04PM

Both are made up and just tools for people control.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:21PM

I'm sure there's some psychos who like to screw around with Satan worship....probably some teens as well, but I don't think it's as prevalent as the rumours and urban legends claim.

An ex-lover claimed that Santaquin had a large coven of witches who practiced the darker side of the occult. Not sure I believe that either, but stranger things have happened.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:26PM

Hubby got to be an extra in a church film when he was at BYU. They all got on a bus in Provo late at night and drove out to the middle of the desert. He got to dress up in Old Testament type clothes and a bunch of fake gold jewelry, and then circle around a bonfire with a big group of people, chanting something and worshipping Ba'al. He had a blast, but says it was so surreal, like a weird dream you'd have.

Posted by: Anon217 ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:32PM

Read "The Pace Memo". Google it. Some will believe it's all a crock, but I know for a FACT it's not.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:48PM

In Provo, I was the home teacher of a beautiful young lady who was nearly killed in a satanic commune in the SoCal desert near the mex border. Probably a virgin human sacrifice thing. She was invited there by a nice returned missionary.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 01:53AM

The whole "satanic ritual abuse" of the 80s/early-90s has been shown to be little more than a moral panic with next to zero real evidence.

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 10:11AM

For clarity's sake, I think you're talking about Satan-worship or devil-worship. Satanism is actually about putting yourself before anyone or anything else, and isn't even about devils!

Posted by: Amos90 ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 11:19AM

I lived in Salt Lake in the 80s.
There was a definite folklore that Satan worshippers practiced in groves in parks. The big story was Memory Grove Park. For years I heard the repeated legend that Satan worshippers gathered at night.
To be honest, I knew of lots of drinking, drugs, and sex in parks and alleys and school grounds, and even church grounds...and when I happened to know WHO it was, guess what, it was Mormon kids.
There was also the Goth click, but I never heard a Goth explicitly say they worship Satan. They just like certain music and dress style and makeup, and it was a circle of friends in an EXTREMELY clickish community.
There was the "head bangers" or "rockers", but I'm pretty sure a rocker acquaintance of mine told me he'd never go in the canyons at night because of the Satan worshippers.
Then there was the frat click. I personally think they were the "Satan worshippers".
The "preppies" or "new wavers" went looking for Satan parties to crash and never found them.
The "coeds"(not sure how this term came to be, but it meant BYU or LDS-looking college students of whatever school) stuck to church or commercial entertainment.
The cowboy/country crowd rightly thought all the above were dumbasses.
So who these Satan worshippers might have been I don't know, but every click said it was another click.

But now I think ANY bonfire party could be viewed as a Satanic ritual, and a legend snowballs.

An irony in Mormonism is that it's satanic to deny Satan. Mormons have a "personal relationship with Satan". He's on their tail all day and all night. Satan causes traffic jams to keep you from getting to church or the temple. He causes sexy ladies to cross your path to make you "look upon a woman to lust after her" and "commit adultery in your heart". He makes you tired, hungry, sad, but also watch out because he makes you proud.

Mormons don't need a bonfire to summon Satan. Satan walks with them all day. Satan watches them use the toilet and tries to get them to unnecessarily handle or look at their genitals. Satan watches married couples have sex and tries to get them to do dirty kinky extras. Satan makes reading scriptures boring. Satan makes you laugh at dirty jokes. Satan makes you horny when you are half asleep and makes you want to get yourself off. And of course he watches.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 07:02PM

Amos90 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons don't need a bonfire to summon Satan.
> Satan walks with them all day. Satan watches them
> use the toilet and tries to get them to
> unnecessarily handle or look at their genitals.
> Satan watches married couples have sex and tries
> to get them to do dirty kinky extras. Satan makes
> reading scriptures boring. Satan makes you laugh
> at dirty jokes. Satan makes you horny when you are
> half asleep and makes you want to get yourself
> off. And of course he watches.

Just how does Satan accomplish all these things simultaneously, all at once, with potentially millions of people?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 12:43PM

When I lived in Ogden my junior year of high school there was a Satanic house of worship in the downtown area. It was common knowledge, and teens would drive around downtown at night we could see activity going on there.

I met some of the devil worshipers with some of the people I was staying after I became homeless that summer. Many of them were ex-Mormons by then who just became caught up with Satanic worship.

Ogden and Salt Lake City both were havens for Satanism. I don't know if they still are. One of my brothers is a family therapist who adopted several children from a couple of different homes in Utah where they know for a fact the parents were Satanists, among other things including drug addiction. They pimped their little children and sexually abused them prior to their being rounded up into foster care. Brother has told me Satanism is alive and still going strong in Utah.

There's a polarization effect caused by over conformists in Utah that brings about an under conformity among the population. There's very little middle ground there, which is why there is a higher disproportionate rate of drug use and abuse, crime, etc.

When I left Ogden to finish high school elsewhere, it was one of the top ten worst crime areas in the United States. A police manual where I worked my senior year in high school specifically addressed Ogden as being polarized between the over and under conformists, leading to the breakdown of the social fabric there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 12:44PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 07:04PM

go together like a horse and carriage...

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 07:12PM

Not a stretch. Mormon temple ceremonies look Satanic.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 01:38PM

Due to a combination of circumstances I was invited to participate in a Satanic Ritual (as in Aton LaVey's Church of Satan) a number of years ago. It was an enjoyable evening. There were a dozen or so people of varying ages and backgrounds there. We had an evening of mingling and conversation followed by a delicious dinner and then the Ritual. It was an interesting experience and decidedly non-threatening or objectionable. When the evening ended my host asked me what I thought. I told him, "I'll see your Satanic Ritual and raise you one Mormon Temple Endowment Session." The latter having been, in my opinion, waaaay freakier than the former.

Posted by: lilvin love ( )
Date: August 17, 2016 04:24PM

After I left the Mormon church a few years ago, I reconnected with my ancestral roots and got in touch with paganism and witchcraft (no flying on brooms or any of that Hollywood nonsense).
Some might be quick to want to throw up a cross in my face after I say that but I can tell you this: my life has been nothing but better. I don't believe in god, religion, or heaven/hell. I DO believe in the power of the earth around us, spiritualism, and an afterlife. And none of those require me to believe in a puritanical god with conditional love who will boot my ass out of the pearly gates to be separated from all my loved ones forever, and be gender neutered so I can't have sex in a lower kingdom all because.... I don't follow the Mormon church.
If that makes a person feel happy to worship such a god (who, by the way, doesn't exist), I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion but DAMN. Out of all the religions and spiritual paths in life, why anyone would pick Mormonism is beyond me. The only explanation I can come up with is that you're either:
a.) brainwashed in it early and can't fathom anything different (how many members get up and say "I don't know where I'd be without the church"?)
OR
b.) You're a convert who gets the glossy, whitewashed, mainstream rendition of Mormonism taught to you and don't know the truth about the religion.

But as far as Satanism goes, it's not the evil, dark, devil-worshiping coven a lot of people assume it is. The Church of Satan is atheistic, they don't believe in a literal Satan, their concern is with the metaphorical Satan and what it means to be free. In Satanism, do what you want as long as you aren't stepping on someone else's rights is the only rule. They have no church meetings. No baptism or animal sacrifice to get in. They're a group of people who identify with what I call "selfish integrity"--you are your own god, your own person, and the captain of your own ship, so make a life for yourself that you enjoy (again, as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights).

In the witchcraft I study and live every day, there's a common phrase "And if ye harm none, do what ye will" which is similar to the Church of Satan's motto. Nothing dark or sinister about it. People's fear of Satanists and Pagans are based on religious propaganda. And I mean, honestly, I think a Satanist would be offended to hear Mormonism referred to as "satanic" since Mormondom is antithetical to the Satanist's view of life. Satanists are way more fun and laidback than Mormons. ;)

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 17, 2016 11:19PM

Mormonism basically mimics Satan in the Bible. Where Christians recognize Satan as lying Mormons spin it and say that Satan was telling the truth. Mormons endorse the teachings of Satan.

Genesis 3:4-5
"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

The lie of Satan was that she would not die even though God said she would and that God was withholding Godhood from her.

Mormons believe that they will become Gods themselves as Satan said to Eve.

Mormons teach that the fall of Adam and Eve was not a bad thing. In fact it was an opportunity for Adam and Eve to obtain Godhood. The Bible actually says that the fall of Adam and Eve was a tragedy that brought us into a state of despair.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 12:50AM

Holy Thread Necro Batman!

Seriously you guys know this was posted in 2013? Yeesh.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: September 02, 2017 09:38PM

(and thus quite operational), nearly every person on earth is a functional satanist. Not in performing hokey or harmful occult rituals, but in our everyday nearly constant focus on "me" and things from "my" point of view. As the biblical Satan is a symbol of separation (from God, or one's own higher awareness), the common presumption of separateness in this world--of things from other things, of people from others, and of self from divinity--are all "satanic" perspectives.

Notice that we do see this on a sliding scale, with the truly "evil" being those with no sense of empathy or connection with the rest of humanity, but we all commonly live a weak version of this.

So, does "Satan" really exist? Maybe we should take the Buddhist view that "ego" doesn't really exist--it's an imaginary reification of our sense of separate identity. So Satan is as real as ego.

Posted by: Satan ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 01:46PM

"for keeping the myth of me alive". It's not those stupid, high teenagers in the woods with spray paint and bonfires. It's the institutional religions that use me to keep the sheep in line, while practicing all kind of heinous abuses under the cover of the protection of God and Salvation.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 03, 2017 03:48PM

In the Mormon community, satanists=regular people sitting around drinking coffee, cussing a little, laughing loudly, and wearing off the shoulder tops

Posted by: rainbeetle ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 05:01PM

satanism is different than luciferianism. i heard there is alot of luciferians, mormons, and satanists in utah

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 05:12PM

You heard that?

Get a job.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 07:37AM

Something is not right with the OP. It's a Mormon wanting to know more about Satanism, and coming onto RFM to find out.

Hey, OP, you will find out more about Satan on a Mormon website. Mormonism is as close to Satan as I ever got, in my long life. I always felt a strong presence of evil in the temple. It was in the Mormon temple, where I learned about Satan in the movie, where I made costume changes at the request of the movie Satan, where I participated in Satanic rituals, death oaths, naked touching, chanting, speaking in tongues, taking on a secret name, whispering through veils, being baptized in a font supported upon the horns of 12 bulls. That's as close to Satan, as I ever got.

I've been to canyon parties in Provo Canyon, under the stars and full moon, and never once felt the presence of Satan.

Take your Satanism questions to the LDS website. Mormons are better acquainted with evil than we are here.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 01:31PM

Something is indeed wrong with OPie.

Rainbeetle, who resurrected this thread on Satanism in Mormonism, is a fly-by.

See also the parallel thread by "Mystery" and in which "Vladder" participates. Both of them are fly-by's as well and both again want to talk about Mormon satanism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 01:39PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 08:08AM

I was at BYU in the 1980s. I remember The Daily Universe did a big article on Satanism at the time. They went into the old, abandonned BYU Academy building (later renovated to become the Provo Library) and found a room with Satanic symbols painted on the walls and remains of burned vegetables in the fireplace. I remember this because some sarcastic guy wrote a letter to the editor thanking them for the article, because "people need to know that Satanists are sacrificing vegetables to the dark lord."

I worked nights as a phlebotomist at the hospital. Some teenage guy came in wanting us to draw a vial of blood for him. He eventually told us why - he was going to make a blood sacrifice to Satan at midnight and wanted the blood collected in a medically safe way. We called Security and found out they'd just chased the guy out of the Emergency Room. I thought the idea was hilarious - if you're going to sacrifice your life's blood to Satan, wouldn't he appreciate more commitment and suffering than a sterile hospital blood draw? Maybe slicing a vein open with a rusty dagger or something?

I don't know how widespread or serious Satanism was in the 1980s in Utah, but there sure were a lot of idiots caught up in it at the time. I'm thinking most of it was high school kids trying to scare each other.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 08:10AM by bezoar.

Posted by: ShirleyS ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 08:56AM

I had a high school teacher in Iowa that used to live in Idaho. She would tell us stories about the satanic rituals that took place in the wooded area's or mountains in Idaho. I don't remember specifics (that was 40 years ago) but I never forgot her telling us that. She was a well respected and sane woman. She was not making it up by any means.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 10:10AM

Show me a "Satanist".

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 10:33AM

This is an old, resurrected thread.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.