Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:04AM

I graduated from college in 1994 with about $10,000 in debt. Then I joined the Peace Corps and deferred payments for a couple of years. I paid another couple of years, then went to grad school and didn't pay for three more years. When I was finished and consolidated everything in 2002, I owed $57,000. I signed up for graduated repayment and a 25 year loan term, mainly because I was about to get married, my husband was broke, and he was paying tons in child support and recovering from the financial disasters of his first marriage.

For the first five years of our marriage, I made the minimum payments. It was all we could afford. Then, my husband went to Iraq and I determined to get rid of debt. I started paying an extra $20 a month on my loans and I used the extra money he got in combat pay to get rid of his credit card debt and pay down mine. We moved to Germany the first time and were able to save more money. I got rid of more debt and kept ramping up my payments to the student loan servicer. They kept sending me letters telling me I didn't have to pay.

It soon became clear that my loans were going to be paid off way before 2027. When I got to about $10,000, I started throwing big payments at my loan until I finally whittled it down to just under $2500. Today, I scheduled my last payment... and, I might add, it was less than the monthly child support my husband was paying for years. My loan servicer changed in May and it cracks me up that I only had to send them a few payments before they were paid off!

I'm feeling so grateful on so many levels. I could not have done this without my husband's cooperation and generosity. Given what he went through with his first wife and their foray into Mormonism, I'm surprised he'd even want to take a chance on another marriage, let alone help me so much. Many of you folks on RfM have been around for the whole ride, since I started reading here at about the time I consolidated those loans and started posting about a year later. I went through awhile during which many people didn't believe my stories about my husband and his nightmare with his ex wife and brainwashed Morgbot kids.

So much has turned around for him, though. He has a great job that he enjoys, has enough money for us to live well, and one of his daughters finally started talking to him again. I've also gotten to see him earn two master's degrees of his own, which he paid very little for, thanks to the Army.

I guess I just wanted to share the good news and thanks to those who have been so kind and supportive all these years! And, on another note, Hallelujah! That's one less burden!

***Of course, the money hasn't gone through yet, but I expect by tomorrow at this time, I will officially be done with paying off my student loans. So cheers! And thank God we weren't sending that money to Salt Lake City!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:09AM

Congratulations!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:11AM

And you are now 94 years old.

Date: July 30, 2018 11:11AM

Not quite.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:14AM

Those moments when the weight gets lifted off--you don't realize how heavy the load was until it is gone. Kind of like another experience we all had in common. Happy for you!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:19AM

Congratulations, knotheadusc!!

I am so happy for your wonderful accomplishment...and accomplishmentS (plural!!), too!!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:20AM

That is great news. It feels good to be out of debt. You are a significant contributor here with your perspective so I hope you continue to stick around.

Date: July 30, 2018 11:21AM

Thank you, Eric! I plan to!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 11:45AM

That's a major accomplishment!

Congratulations.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 12:08PM

Been through and done that with the school loans. It's like being sprung from jail to get that mess paid off! Biggest congratulations!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2018 12:08PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 12:47PM

Great News!!!

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:59PM

Congratulations!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 02:17PM

Wonderful news, Knotty! I'll never forget writing my last check for my student loan. It's a great feeling, isn't it? Perhaps you and your husband can enjoy more travel, dining out, etc. now.

Date: July 30, 2018 03:13PM

Well, we travel and dine out a lot already. I have a feeling he’s going to rid himself of his minimal debt and get a new car. And I will continue to add to our housing fund.

Date: August 01, 2018 07:14AM

He brought home champagne last night! Ha ha! Maybe l’ll record a special song for him.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 03:32PM

Thanks to the beloved Correlation program its unthinkable of me to congratulate you on paying off your student loans. All that principal pay down you did to reach a zero balance could've been donated instead to the Church so that Heavenly Father could have more money for his sacred LLCs.

This thread does remind me that I really do need to get myself some more credit cards. That way I can take some cash advances to send to the Church so that Heavenly Father can have the money ASAP. Sure it'll mean that I'll be in the poor house forever. But at least I'll be putting the Church first and paying some good insurance premiums in order that our loving Heavenly Father won't toss me into a big lake of fire and brimstone at Judgment Day :)

All you non-TBM's are sure missing out on these wondrous blessings.

Date: July 30, 2018 03:55PM

Bwhahahahahaha...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 04:55PM

Wow CONGRATS!!!! I can't imagine the relief and kudos to you for paying it early and not giving them all that interest money. And it's so nice to hear the good news of how your lives have turned around. There is nothing about an ex-spouse I wouldn't believe. In fact it's nice to hear that there are some as bad or worse than mine (and that's not an easy feat to accomplish).

After my divorce I was able to go back and finish school and just got my loan paid off a few years ago (at the age of 59), but mine was not nearly that much and I just paid the minimum for 10 years since the interest rate was so low. But still, it was nice to make that final payment. And the job I ended up with was well worth the time in school and the loan payment.

May things continue to just get better and better for you. Enjoy!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 05:15PM

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 05:21PM

This is the best feeling! Congrats! I stopped waking up with cold sweats when my loans were paid off... and I too had a supportive DH who helped me lick them. Hugs to both of you.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 09:41PM

Congrats to you! That’s great.

I will never pay mine off. I’m 54 and just found out about and got enrolled in the public service loan forgiveness repayment plan 6.5 years ago.

Made some ignorant education decisions to get in a big mess. The student lending scam, set up to advantage institutions and lenders at the expense of students, made it worse.

Had no money for college when I went back in my late twenties and when I graduated at 30 I had 35k in loan debt. By the time I finished grad school 3 years later the total was 65k. When I started teaching I couldn’t afford the monthly payment of 1500$ so I took half time classes at the local community college to qualify for an educational deferrment to stop interest accrural on the guaranteed loans. But at a non-negotiable interest rate of 7.78 the balance kept going up. When I started repaying the balance was 115k. Now after 6 years of payments it’s up to 135k.

Thank god for the public service loan forgiveness program! I pay twenty percent of my taxabe income monthly and after ten years whatever remains is forgiven bc as a teacher, I’m a public servant.

Forty-two more payments and I’ll be free as well. So excited.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 09:53PM

Congrats, so exciting! I'm almost done paying off student loans I got almost 15 years ago. Also working on the newer ones I got 6 years ago. Feels like it will never end...

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 10:38PM

Kudos!

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 10:58AM

Great job! I know it is a weight off of your shoulders.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 11:14AM

Posted by: logan ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 02:47PM

Maybe a more appropriate title "My husband paid off my student loans"

Date: August 02, 2018 12:34AM

Wow... thanks for that, logan.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 12:40AM

logan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe a more appropriate title "My husband paid
> off my student loans"

which is not taking into account anything that knotheadusc may do in terms of maintaining a home or anything else

Date: August 02, 2018 12:54AM

scmd1 Wrote:
> logan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe a more appropriate title "My husband paid
> > off my student loans"
>
>
> which is not taking into account anything that
> knotheadusc may do in terms of maintaining a home
> or anything else

I'll be honest. It certainly has crossed my mind that my husband's paycheck paid for the bulk-- but not all-- of my student loans. That was definitely not how I planned it. When we met, I was earning two master's degrees and had plans to launch a career. But then, God help us, we fell in love and got married.

Until 2014, my husband was a career Army officer and we've spent our entire marriage moving from place to place. Today happens to be our fourth anniversary of living in Germany for the second time. It's also the one place where we're spent the longest time as a married couple. From 2007-2015, we moved a total of six times to four states and one foreign country.

There is no way I could have had the career I trained for when we were moving all the time. In Germany, finding a job is even harder than it would otherwise be, since we are not "permanent residents". I might be able to work at AAFES or something, but there are people living here who legitimately need to work at AAFES to pay their bills. We are lucky enough not to be in that situation right now. I have, however, made some money as a freelance writer.

No, I haven't earned a lot of money during our marriage, but I have done my best to be a good steward to the money that my husband makes. For instance, it's because of me that we have money saved and invested. My husband never would have taken the time. It's because of me that when we still had car payments (also paid off early, thanks to my diligence) that we got a lower interest rate. First, we had my pristine credit to back up his damaged one, and second, I talked him into making the request for a lower interest rate (otherwise, he was too ashamed and afraid the bank would say "no").

It's also because of me that he's made an effort to pay off his credit card bills. In fact, when he went to Iraq, I paid them off for him. He came home from Iraq to find the debt on the high interest credit cards he was carrying completely gone. A year later, he was able to get a much better credit card with lower interest rates. By contrast, his ex wife ran up bills on his cards and didn't make payments, which landed him in some pretty serious financial hell.

So technically speaking, I may not have *personally* earned the money to pay off my loans, but I haven't exactly done "nothing". I kind of resent the implication, especially since I was careful to mention my husband's significant contributions and the fact that I probably couldn't have done this without his help. Oh, and I also take care of the house and make myself "joyfully available" to him... ;-) I often joke that even though he paid off my loans, I'm still a hell of a lot less expensive than his uneducated first wife was.

There are people out there who are strictly gold-diggers, but I am not one of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 01:51AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 01:53AM

Knotty, any marriage is a partnership, and military marriages even more so. That is an awful lot of packing and unpacking that you've done! I've seen military spouses sometimes work in short bursts, but being able to maintain any sort of consistent career arc is pretty much impossible. In a military family, the entire family truly serves.

My brother went through many, many years of his (civilian) career where he was constantly traveling, often for days or a week at a time. He had one entire year where he was working on the opposite coast, returning home at intervals. My sister-in-law stayed at home, was there every day for their kids, and otherwise kept things humming. If not for her, he would not have been able to properly maintain his home or raise his family.

Date: August 02, 2018 02:14AM

Thanks, summer. My husband and I truly are partners. It has been a source of shame for me to be the "overeducated housewife" I am. I've heard a lot of crap from people, even those who should be more understanding about this lifestyle.

My dad, for instance, was a career Air Force officer. My mom stayed home for most of the time he was in uniform and raised four kids. She did earn some money as a church organist and working at part time jobs. After he retired, they opened their own business, which was supplemented by his retirement pay and, occasionally, her church music money. Before he got dementia and eventually died, he'd hassle me about how I was spending my time. When my husband went to Iraq, he called me up and asked me why I didn't get a job, even though we were going to be moving within the next six months. I told him how I spent my time was none of his business. That response shocked him, but he did finally stop harassing me about my work status.

The truth is, I have done my fill of waiting tables, working retail, and temping. The whole reason I went to grad school was so I could stop doing those kinds of jobs. Although many military spouses find themselves in situations where they can work remotely, that's not necessarily a given. A lot of them do end up working in bursts.

Like I said, I have done freelance writing and have sung at weddings and made my own money that way, but I trained to be a public health social worker, which would typically require state licensure and the ability to stay in one place for awhile. When I started that program, I figured I was going to stay single. That's not what happened. I met my husband online within weeks of my starting my program and his separation from his ex wife and re-entry into Army life. He was literally there for me the whole time I was in school, and he has had occasion to directly benefit from the education I received. For instance, the counseling skills I learned in school have come in handy, especially since my husband has security clearances that would be at risk if he ever saw a therapist. No, I don't give him therapy, but I do have some idea of how to give constructive insight and perspective that helps him figure out how to help himself. The finance skills I learned in my public health administration program have helped us fix our financial situation.

I'm glad my original prediction that I would stay single isn't what came to pass, because I wouldn't trade my life with my husband for anything. I adore him, and believe me, he knows it. I will always be grateful that he is kind, unselfish, and sees me as his partner instead of a burden.

It really is disheartening to me when I read posts on RfM, seemingly written by embittered men who have been "taken in" by women who simply care about their money and nothing else. I don't think that's the norm. I'd certainly hope it wasn't. When I married my husband, he was BROKE and I knew that was likely how he would stay, at least until his children were grown. I stuck with him and did my best to make the situation better. I think I succeeded. So yes, I will claim this accomplishment, but I certainly give just as much credit to my husband, who has been by my side the whole time and likely will be until one of us dies.

I may not have set the career world on fire, but I did choose a wonderful mate, and I am very grateful to him. <3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 02:19AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: logan ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 09:21AM

knotheadusc Wrote:
> scmd1 Wrote:
> -----
> > logan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Maybe a more appropriate title "My husband
> paid
> > > off my student loans"
> >
> >
> > which is not taking into account anything that
> > knotheadusc may do in terms of maintaining a
> home
> > or anything else
>
> I'll be honest. It certainly has crossed my mind
> that my husband's paycheck paid for the bulk-- but
> not all-- of my student loans. That was
> definitely not how I planned it. When we met, I
> was earning two master's degrees and had plans to
> launch a career. But then, God help us, we fell
> in love and got married.
>
> Until 2014, my husband was a career Army officer
> and we've spent our entire marriage moving from
> place to place. Today happens to be our fourth
> anniversary of living in Germany for the second
> time. It's also the one place where we're spent
> the longest time as a married couple. From
> 2007-2015, we moved a total of six times to four
> states and one foreign country.
>
> There is no way I could have had the career I
> trained for when we were moving all the time. In
> Germany, finding a job is even harder than it
> would otherwise be, since we are not "permanent
> residents". I might be able to work at AAFES or
> something, but there are people living here who
> legitimately need to work at AAFES to pay their
> bills. We are lucky enough not to be in that
> situation right now. I have, however, made some
> money as a freelance writer.
>
> No, I haven't earned a lot of money during our
> marriage, but I have done my best to be a good
> steward to the money that my husband makes. For
> instance, it's because of me that we have money
> saved and invested. My husband never would have
> taken the time. It's because of me that when we
> still had car payments (also paid off early,
> thanks to my diligence) that we got a lower
> interest rate. First, we had my pristine credit
> to back up his damaged one, and second, I talked
> him into making the request for a lower interest
> rate (otherwise, he was too ashamed and afraid the
> bank would say "no").
>
> It's also because of me that he's made an effort
> to pay off his credit card bills. In fact, when
> he went to Iraq, I paid them off for him. He came
> home from Iraq to find the debt on the high
> interest credit cards he was carrying completely
> gone. A year later, he was able to get a much
> better credit card with lower interest rates. By
> contrast, his ex wife ran up bills on his cards
> and didn't make payments, which landed him in some
> pretty serious financial hell.
>
> So technically speaking, I may not have
> *personally* earned the money to pay off my loans,
> but I haven't exactly done "nothing". I kind of
> resent the implication, especially since I was
> careful to mention my husband's significant
> contributions and the fact that I probably
> couldn't have done this without his help. Oh, and
> I also take care of the house and make myself
> "joyfully available" to him... ;-) I often joke
> that even though he paid off my loans, I'm still a
> hell of a lot less expensive than his uneducated
> first wife was.
>
> There are people out there who are strictly
> gold-diggers, but I am not one of them.

I was just poking fun at you, I was in a similar situation with my wife and paying off her debt that she acquired before we met. I paid the debt but she "paid" in other ways similar to your situation.

Date: August 02, 2018 09:38AM

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 01:45PM

I was fortunate to have attended university with a full-ride scholarship. My convert friend from university just paid hers off last month.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.