Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:52PM

He's apparently intending to draw attention to Bishops interviewing mormon children.

Is he getting any attention?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 01:40AM

Sam Young
Yesterday at 8:41 PM
**Apostle Update...The action is a go**

This morning, I had more communications of a possible meeting. I had put a deadline of 5:00pm. Otherwise the action was moving forward. I waited.

Then this in the afternoon. It appears that the apostle dumped the 'Sam' problem on public affairs. At 3:30, A Seventy called me. We talked for 1 1/2 hours. It was a full court press to get me to stop or postpone. He threw out one possibility after another.

The last thing he threw out was this. "Would you postpone if you were to receive a memo from the 12 apostles stating that they are working on it." I'll let ya'll surmise my answer.

Ultimately, I said that he should not be concerned about stopping my action. He should be laser focused on stopping harm to our children.

This is a general authority that I have a lot of respect for. Over and over he reiterated that no children should be hurt. I invited him to join our cause, him on the inside and me on the outside. He said that he doesn't have any power. I responded that he has a lot more power than me and I'm doing something to protect our kids. Stand up and talk to the brethren about the safety of our children.

FYI, the action was launched 1 hr and 41 minutes ago. You'll have all the details soon.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 10:57AM

Problem is that no Mormon is going to care if he starves to death. But I guess the purpose of hunger strikes is to rally more people to the cause. Worked for Gahndi.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 11:04AM

He has a lot of competition from Utah teens killing themselves.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 11:17AM

I don’t think hunger strikes are very effective. Especially by people who are not incarcerated. I think it is a bad move. Nobody will pay attention.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 01:58PM

I agree. It makes him seem a little whacko.

The changes he calls for are completely and obviously the right things to do.

He doesn't need any gimmicks.

He needs to remember that the only thing the brethren care about is money and public opinion.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 03:46PM

Caesar Chavez?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 11:22AM

Date: July 29, 2018 11:24AM

Go on facebook Sam Young is live now. John Dehlin is there too.

Date: July 29, 2018 12:46PM

One person wrote

"Emily McDaniel I think every member should go on a tithing strike. Turn in your envelopes with nothing in it except a note that says "Protect our children."

You'll see a policy change quickly."

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 02:01PM

I love that idea!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 07:16PM

This is an idea that I can get behind. The one thing, maybe the only thing, that the Mormon church cares about is MONEY.

I support Sam in his efforts to protect LDS children, but I am not a fan of hunger strikes. Nor do I support fasting for anything other than medical reasons. To deny yourself food is so...Mormon.

Sam, I would encourage you to support a tithing strike instead. Hit 'em where it hurts!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 03:03AM

I agree.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 11:32AM

Summer wrote in part:

"To deny yourself food is so...Mormon."

I hate to break the news, but that is not true. When I was attending Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles during the early 1980s, several good Catholics I know participated in a hunger strike to try to get the U.S. to change its dictator-supporting policies in central and south American countries. Did it work? No! But the point is that Mormons are not the only ones nor even the first ones to go on a hunger strike for anything.

Date: July 29, 2018 09:37PM

Deseret News came by and interviewed Sam Young.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:19AM

But did anything change?

Date: July 30, 2018 08:22AM

#ElderSoares of the #QuorumOfThe12Apostles --> no show.

Date: August 02, 2018 11:10AM

Sam is still going strong!

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 11:42AM

The comment below made me LMAO...

"I actually wish my Bishop had been a bit more explicit in his questions. My non-LDS father had no interest in explaining sexually-related questions to me. I suppose he thought I’d pick it up from popular culture (shudder) or from the guys in the locker room at school (double shudder). Instead, my dear, sweet mother had to explain to me, her son, what masturbation was! How humiliating for her!"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 12:29PM

Interesting how the seventy said he had no power to do anything. He says that because it's a threat to his livelihood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.