Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 03:13PM

I saw the following movie review, about an 11th grade girl in 1993 sent to a gay conversion therapy camp, God's Promise. Just the name of the camp makes my skin crawl. The movie is not in SLC, nor have I heard that it is scheduled to be here, so wherever you happen to be, I assume it will be a limited release art house film.

It does sound interesting, however. Some quotes:

"Based on a young-adult novel by Emily Danforth, the film arrives in theaters without a rating, which is probably just as well. The Motion Picture Association of America has a habit of using the R rating to shoo teenagers away from realistic depictions of their own lives, a prohibition that is easy enough to get around in the age of digital streaming but that nonetheless serves as an official endorsement of evasion and repression."

"But the people in charge of God’s Promise aren’t quite monsters, and the place is hardly a gothic nightmare. There are bed checks, group discussions and one-on-one sessions with Dr. Lydia Marsh (Jennifer Ehle), the headmistress, and Reverend Rick (John Gallagher Jr.), her sidekick (and brother), who claims to have overcome his own homosexuality. There are also singalongs, field trips and long discussions about sin and salvation. “Nobody is beating us,” Cameron says later. The cruelty of this brand of anti-gay “conversion therapy” is subtler than that, and the agents of that cruelty are less Lydia and Rick than the parents and guardians who have shunted Cameron and the others into their care."

Ah, yes, the cruelty of the supposedly do-gooder parents. Don bagley has had a thing or two to say about that over the years, as have others here.

Full review:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/movies/the-miseducation-of-cameron-post-review-chloe-grace-moretz.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 03:19PM

Yes, what Arendt called "the banality of evil."

That sounds like an interesting movie.

Posted by: Ghost of the Grapes ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 06:59PM

"Reverend Rick (John Gallagher Jr.), who claims to have overcome his own homosexuality."

SURE he has!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.