Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 05:38PM

Ah, the loverily Cardston Temple ... Ron said it was a “come as you are temple,” so I wore cutoff jeans, a T-Shirt, and sandals.

It seemed to be deserted. So quiet, pristine, and edifying. I walked through the open gates to snap a photo.

Instantly, I heard a rustle behind me, and sure enough, an older couple dressed in their Sunday best appeared with big grins on their faces.

“Well, hello there, sir! Welcome to the Cardston Temple!
“Thank you, it’s a beautiful building, and thanks for the welcome!”
“May we ask where you’re from?”
“Utah”
“Utah! [Dressed like that in the shadow of the Lord’s House!]
“Yes, Utah. I’m visiting with a buddy who wanted to show me the temple.”
“Oh, that’s so nice! Can we ...
“May I use your restroom?”
“Certainly, it’s over there.”

I came back and we talked a little about their ministering mission to the temple, my fascination with the architecture, and that I wasn’t LDS [thank God, you heathen hippie]. I thanked them and wished them, “Good Day and Thank You.”

Everything about the building says “keep out” — fortress walls with buttresses, small windows, big metal fence, iron gates; hell, I was waiting for Morticia Adams to walk out and invite me in.

But, Ronnie did give me one spiritual gift — the Canadian Rockies! Thank you, sir!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 05:41PM by BYU Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 06:09PM

You were fresh meat to them, Boner! I can't imagine that they get many visitors who are not there to do temple work.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 06:29PM

I was on a girls’ road trip two summers ago with a friend, and we stopped at the Cardston temple. Deserted is a good description for it, as that’s how we found it too. We parked and went up to the visitor’s centre (I think).

There were two structures on either side of a gate - one had an open door, and some kind of video playing inside. A couple with some small children were watching it. The other structure was completely closed, and the windows all appeared to be mirrored so we couldn’t see inside.

We debated going in for a few minutes, and my friend finally said she didn’t want to. She’s normally game for anything, but we both found the place creepy. While we were debating, a man strode past us through the gate and headed toward the temple. He was carrying a sort of briefcase, which had white fabric peeking out. No doubt heading in for an endowment or something. Further creepiness! We were glad to leave.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 07:33PM

My family spent several days in Cardston when I was 12 years old, on a summer camping trip. Our car broke down there, so we were stranded in the campground in town. Which loosely translated meant more adventure for us children.

Mom and dad went through the temple while we waited for our car in the shop. I went to the visitors center, where a nice young woman invited me to her home for Sunday (she was either going on a mission or was a returned missionary,) with her parents.

I remember the delicious breakfast, with muffins and orange juice. How hospitable they were. They made me feel like I was a part of their family. They seemed so much more normal than mine hehe. It was a fun trip overall.

US Customs really interrogated my parents though at the border. They thought they were smuggling an Indian child across the border. I was wearing braids and an Indian headband an antique dealer had given me in Lethbridge where we stopped on our way back to the US. Sitting cross-legged in the back of the family station wagon, reading a book. I just didn't blend in as well with my blonde and red-haired brothers lol. It made my parents nervous - they didn't bring our birth certificates. Alas, they let us all pass through, together. And life has never been the same since. ;)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 08:15PM

>>“May I use your restroom?”

Please tell me you took a dump at the temple. What a nice gesture it would be to leave something special at the house of the Lard.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 04, 2018 10:20PM

:)

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 12:23AM

This kind of prison Kris people in... OR, chases them out.

Glad your trip was a success - or it didn't suck, nonetheless.

M@t

Posted by: Fixing! ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 12:26AM

KEEPS (people in).

Posted by: Elmo ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 02:37AM

Was that really necessary?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.