Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 11:36AM

My favorite book genre is true crime (non-fiction) and especially those that delve into the psychology or background of the perpetrator. Some of my favorites are by Ann Rule about Ted Bundy, or about the Green River Killer.

Lately I've been reading up on FLDS leader Warren Jeffs, Scientology Leader David Miscavige, and several articles about Jim Jones.

I am always fascinated by these Cult Leaders. Why are they so charismatic? Is it true charisma, or is it because they have "enforcers" that do the dirty work for them?

To me, Warren Jeffs looks spindly and unsubstantial. His speech is low, droning, and sort of pathetic. He's even admitted on camera that he is not, and never has been a prophet, but still his followers are brainwashed from afar as he rots in prison.

David Miscavige is short, has not even completed high school, yet he rules so savagely as the ecclesiastical leader of Scientology.

I found this article from a Former FBI agent about the traits that can help identify a dangerous cult leader.

Sadly, I suppose some of these traits are not just relegated to cult leaders -- we can probably see these traits among our family members, local church leaders, employers, etc.

Do you know anyone who some of these qualities? How have they affected your life?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201208/dangerous-cult-leaders

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 11:46AM

Here's the list. It pretty much describes mormonism.
===============================================================

1.He has a grandiose idea of who he is and what he can achieve.

2.Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, or brilliance.

3.Demands blind unquestioned obedience.

4.Requires excessive admiration from followers and outsiders.

5.Has a sense of entitlement - expecting to be treated special at all times.

6.Is exploitative of others by asking for their money or that of relatives putting others at financial risk.

7.Is arrogant and haughty in his behavior or attitude.

8.Has an exaggerated sense of power (entitlement) that allows him to bend rules and break laws.

9.Takes sexual advantage of members of his sect or cult.

10.Sex is a requirement with adults and sub adults as part of a ritual or rite.

11.Is hypersensitive to how he is seen or perceived by others.

12.Publicly devalues others as being inferior, incapable, or not worthy.

13.Makes members confess their sins or faults publicly subjecting them to ridicule or humiliation while revealing exploitable weaknesses of the penitent.

14.Has ignored the needs of others, including: biological, physical, emotional, and financial needs.

15.Is frequently boastful of accomplishments.

16.Needs to be the center of attention and does things to distract others to insure that he or she is being noticed by arriving late, using exotic clothing, overdramatic speech, or by making theatrical entrances.

17.Has insisted in always having the best of anything (house, car, jewelry, clothes) even when others are relegated to lesser facilities, amenities, or clothing.

18.Doesn’t seem to listen well to needs of others, communication is usually one-way in the form of dictates.

19.Haughtiness, grandiosity, and the need to be controlling is part of his personality.

20.Behaves as though people are objects to be used, manipulated or exploited for personal gain.

21.When criticized he tends to lash out not just with anger but with rage.

22.Anyone who criticizes or questions him is called an “enemy.”

23.Refers to non-members or non-believers in him as “the enemy.”

24.Acts imperious at times, not wishing to know what others think or desire.

25.Believes himself to be omnipotent.

26.Has “magical” answers or solutions to problems.

27.Is superficially charming.

28.Habitually puts down others as inferior and only he is superior.

29.Has a certain coldness or aloofness about him that makes others worry about who this person really is and or whether they really know him.

30.Is deeply offended when there are perceived signs of boredom, being ignored or of being slighted.

31.Treats others with contempt and arrogance.

32.Is constantly assessing for those who are a threat or those who revere him.

33.The word “I” dominates his conversations. He is oblivious to how often he references himself.

34.Hates to be embarrassed or fail publicly - when he does he acts out with rage.

35.Doesn’t seem to feel guilty for anything he has done wrong nor does he apologize for his actions.

36.Believes he possesses the answers and solutions to world problems.

37.Believes himself to be a deity or a chosen representative of a deity.

38.Rigid, unbending, or insensitive describes how this person thinks.

39.Tries to control others in what they do, read, view, or think.

40.Has isolated members of his sect from contact with family or outside world.

41.Monitors and or restricts contact with family or outsiders.

42.Works the least but demands the most.

43.Has stated that he is “destined for greatness” or that he will be “martyred.”

44.Seems to be highly dependent of tribute and adoration and will often fish for compliments.

45.Uses enforcers or sycophants to insure compliance from members or believers.

46.Sees self as “unstoppable” perhaps has even said so.

47.Conceals background or family which would disclose how plain or ordinary he is.

48.Doesn’t think there is anything wrong with himself – in fact sees himself as perfection or “blessed.”

49.Has taken away the freedom to leave, to travel, to pursue life, and liberty of followers.

50.Has isolated the group physically (moved to a remote area) so as to not be observed.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2014 07:53PM

How did you get to know so much about my father? I think our house was a mini-cult in itself.

Posted by: Rabbit ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 05:35PM

Sounds like my dad as well.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 04:16AM

Describes my wife-beater temple ex-husband perfectly.

These traits are found in one person, or in a group, or in a larger group, such as the Mormon church in general. I'm convinced there is a connection between Mormonism and Mormon individuals like my abusive ex, Don Bagley's father, Warren Jeffs, and thousands of other TBM priesthood holders, like my older brother, who spent a lifetime abusing others.

(I'm sure there are abusers who are women, but the parallels are stronger in the Mormon men.)

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 04:29AM

I wish I had this list taped to my mirror in my dorm room at BYU! It would have saved me a rape, and an assault, and wasted time trying to help lying priesthood bullies, and making the mistake of marrying one of them. This sort of instruction should be mandatory for all Mormon youth, before they start to date.

Unfortunately, whatever advice I got from Mormons was just the opposite. The pathological traits were presented me as "good." "The makings of a successful, righteous young man!" These traits were exemplified in bishops, stake presidents, mission presidents, and Mormon authoritarian fathers, like my own. I was raised to marry such a man, and become his obedient, submissive, unquestioning little wife, putting HIM and the cult above all else.

when I was asked to teach in the Relief Society, I stumbled on some of the lessons, and was given permission to read ahead in the manual, and choose any lesson I wanted to teach. I also researched back, in previous manuals throughout the years, subsequent to correlation.

The Number One lesson in Relief Society has been: (drum-roll)

"Honoring the Priesthood."

That says it all. No wonder I fell in love with only Atheist men!

Posted by: NoMoNoHow ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 05:23AM

Most of those traits also perfectly describe God himself, e.g:

Anyone who criticizes or questions him is called an “enemy.”

Demands blind unquestioned obedience.

Requires excessive admiration from followers and outsiders.

Is hypersensitive to how he is seen or perceived by others.

Is frequently boastful of accomplishments.

When criticized he tends to lash out not just with anger but with rage.

Believes himself to be omnipotent.

Believes himself to be a deity or a chosen representative of a deity (i.e. Jesus).

Etc, etc. No wonder the Story of God has attracted so many psychopaths over the centuries. He's everything they want to be.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 10:38AM

Great observation! So--cult leaders are definitely the front runners for getting to the CK or Heaven or whatever. That sure makes going to hell a lot more appealing.

In fact, going anywhere but the CK sounds better and better all the time.

Posted by: Songson ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 12:28PM

Traits of God? Whose God? Not Mine.

Posted by: Pyro_ ( )
Date: December 20, 2017 02:15PM

Thank you for the information! This will really help my research!

Posted by: Vernellem ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 02:02PM

I am amazed to read so many characteristics that apply to governments and political leaders and how many people are misled, lied to and believe everything politicians say. This has been going on since the beginning of History. So many people are eager to support and justify hideous behavior as "good" because their political "heroes" create laws that make certain crimes against humanity, legal. This is the only moral compass for some people. They literally cannot tell the difference between "good" and "bad".

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:03PM

Thanks, Dave

It does seem to sum up the "average" Mormon, lol. I suppose if you believe that you will one day be a deity, you feel rather superior and invincible.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: April 15, 2014 04:09PM

The list describes both Joe Smith and Brigham Young. And Mormons revere these men, and others like them.

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: April 15, 2014 04:32PM

the first 6 to 10 totally describe JOE

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 11:11AM

Any Gender, or any human...
And I don't buy "Tyrant LDS CULT" picture....

If anyone stays in the Church, how can you blame the Church...
Especially those of us who live in an open society....

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 11:32AM

The fact that you say that this applies to that much of society implies a lot more about you than it does about society.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 11:15AM

Boy, does that ever describe Joseph Smith. I was trying to find a piece that I read once, where someone encountered Joseph Smith after being invited to his house for dinner.

They slightly questioned something and was met with a flash of angry eyes and discovered Joseph's temper when you dared to question anything.

I wish I could remember where I read that.

Posted by: Devo ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 11:26AM

Clearly a profile of Joseph Smith and many many Priesthood social climbers that follow him to this day. The sad thing is the attraction so many people have to this type personality. Sometimes I think its like a religious pyramid scheme... The really powerful rich guys at the top controlling those at the bottom who want to be just like them.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 12:04PM

Half of those traits describe my 14 year-old daughter, or, for that matter, most 14 year-olds....

The other half of that list describes my cat.

Seriously, though, one thing that I see missing from the list (and I'm not an FBI profiler, so maybe I'm wrong) is the manipulation of many cult leaders of information and images that make them look humble and caring, but really implies that they are divinities visiting the common people, so that members of the Great Unwashed will in the hope that they might someday be bathed in the glory of their leader. Examples: Hitler playing with his dogs, Mao and family at the beach, Joseph Smith building the temple...

Does that make sense?

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 06:24PM

Monson talking about widows and orphans constantly, while being chauffeured in a $900,000 MoMobile, with milk chilled at the precise temperature...

Holland in the BBC interview, CES speech... (tantrums about the audacity to question his pretend world view).

Oaks (persecution complex while complete disdain for anyone questioning "religious freedom" and refusing to apologize, ever).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 09:26PM

Most humans would love for there to be a simple, effective, fool-proof way to quickly and easily weed out the "bad apples." Such as cult leaders.

"Lists" like this feed that desire.

The trouble is, things are rarely so simple. As others have pointed out, lots of these traits apply to people (and animals!) that aren't "Dangerous Cult Leaders." Not all "Dangerous Cult Leaders" have all 50 traits. Not all people who have all 50 traits are "Dangerous Cult Leaders."

So, as things to watch out for? Sure. Great. Good starting point.

As a definitive list, or a quick and easy way to check off some boxes and yell "Dangerous Cult Leader!"? Not really.

Oh, and note to self: avoid CnB's cat. :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 10:21PM

It includes lots of people including a certain president.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.