Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:57PM

Loopholes.

"BYU changed it’s policies in 2017 with regard to sexual assault victims, so that they would be granted amnesty. If the school grants amnesty to honor code issues (such as the alcohol) what does that matter if her local bishop can withdraw his endorsement? It doesn’t make any sense.
Perhaps this loophole was overlooked when BYU made the policy change, but now that it’s exposed, it needs to change."
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-another-Mormon-victim-of-abuse-get-expelled-from-the-LDS-owned-BYU-Idaho-for-whistleblowing

Funny how this one response is the most reasoned and rational. Most of the others are all protecting bishops.

I looked for it but couldn't find it. It was an article which quoted a judge in Utah saying in all his years on the bench he had never seen a bishop testify on behalf of a victim.

Such grand servants of their lord, these men.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 06:58PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 07:43PM

So bishops won't testify until their calling and election is sure.

Date: August 14, 2018 12:10PM

Their immunity from repercussions is made sure? I don't think a Second Anointing protects you from going against the precedent the "Lord's Anointed" has set.

No apologies.

No victims, no crimes.

No testifying for and behalf of the people hurt by anyone.

Mormon bishops call to repentance, not restitution.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 07:45PM

I'm sure it's just a letter of the law thing. BYU got a lot of bad press over its Title IX violations and for flouting the conflict of interest thing between the campus and Provo police. They reluctantly had to comply, but that doesn't mean they can't now snag them on some other technicality. Of course, drinking is a big violation at BYU, and rape or no rape, had they found out, the girl would be ejected anyway. The boy? Boys are always "preparing for missions," etc., and the university's forgiveness more liberally given. But I'm sure that from now on, the honor code office will scrutinize ever tiny thing, and if a girl is over at a guy's apartment a minute past whatever their drop-dead time is (10pm? 11? 12?), the students--the females, at least--will lose their endorsement. Bob's-yer-uncle, BYU wins again.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 09:33PM

I doubt this was anything "overlooked."

There's a very high probability that BYU left this "loophole" in place intentionally. Sort of a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too thing.

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:11PM

Date: August 14, 2018 12:12PM

Right? There are no victims of The Mormon Church. Even if you were murdered by Mormons dressed as Piute Indians. All those massacred at Mountain Meadow were killed by John D. Lee only...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.