Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:34AM

Can you folks tell me instances when Joseph Smith cried? Were such episodes sincere? Did he use tearful communications to manipulate anyone? I don't mean while peeling onions, I mean, was he ever noted for authentic sorrow, historically?

BONUS: Was he a sleepwalker?

BONUS #2: Was he ever investigated in all of his shenanigans?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-elon-musk-interview-20180817-story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:45AM

Who cares ?

Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:54AM

saucie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares ?

saucie, I care.

As a living prophet, Joseph could see the future. He knew about the internet, Google and searches for "young adults".

As he utilized such advantage, did he ever feel remorse?

https://images.google.com/

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:31PM

I bet Joe did cry.....when Emma kicked Fanny to the curb.

"Damn, Emma........that was uncalled for!"

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman....Miss Alger"

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:58PM

In the sense of crying at the pulpit, I would seriously doubt it. It would have been seen as a weakness, he'd lose followers and power.

He was manipulative to the extreme. Threatening hell for young girls parents and family. Talking of angels with flaming swords. Sending others to convince someone. Physical threats. The gang of kids with knives following people.

Yes he was investigated multiple times. Some accusers were run out of town. He'd have courts and judges he controlled dismiss charges against him. He'd excommunicate anyone opposed to him. Slander decent peoples names.

Sleepwalking? Doubt it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 05:45PM

They talked about the “whittler brigade” in Sunday school like it was a good thing. What could be creepy about being followed by “children of the corn” with knives?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:44PM

Yes, Crocodile tears.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:59PM

I suspect probably not much.
They say sociopaths have a very hard time displaying emotions, since the range of emotions they can feel is narrow. The best sociopath can hope for is good mimicry.

Honestly though, from everything I’ve read about Joseph Smith it would not shock me at all if in today’s day and age he would be diagnosed with some kind of personality disorder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 10:00PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:21PM

I can think of two accounts. One was during a confrontation in the street with William Law over polygamy. Law said Smith had tears in his eyes on that occasion.

The other was an account of Joseph bidding his mother a choked and tearful farewell from the back of a covered wagon as he and Hyrum were being carted off to jail. I don't know if it was the Carthage jail or some other brush with the law.

I don't have the references readily available, just remember reading about these incidents several times.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 08:59PM

very good memory. There is one other occasion that he cried and that was Christmas in Nauvoo about 1840. They had all mostly escaped Missouri and were having a celebration in the new Mansion house and right in the middle of the festivities comes Jailbird Porter Rockwell dressed in rags and starved. He was about to be thrown out in the street when Old Joe recognized him and they had tears of joy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:41PM

He might have cried tears of anguish when the mob that tarred him pulled his pants down and called to the doctor they'd brought along for just this purpose, to come cut off little Joey, Jr.

This was when he was accused of messing with someone's sister...

Had little Joey, Jr. been removed, I'd probably have grown up Catholic.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:15AM

He made/ makes others cry

So he didn't have to do it

But he did

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:26AM

Just when he was high

Or couldn't get one of his ways

He would have cried on the handcart part

He wouldn't ever think that far

He cried between his temples

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:56AM

All the psychopaths in my life could cry on cue.

It's part of their master-manipulator repertoire.

Like midwestanon says, they have no empathy, no normal feelings, but they can mimic.

Both my TBM ex-husbands had feelings only for themselves, just not for anyone else. Both of them cried real tears, when I tried to break up off my engagements to them, and both of them convinced me to stay with them and marry them.

In my very cautious selection of dates, I won't date any man who cries to get his way, because I see it as a red flag. It's fine to cry over something sad or emotional, even a sad movie, but not to manipulate. Henry Eyring makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 04:50PM

I think you're right, exminion. It applies to women who cry to get their way too. It's manipulation and should be considered a warning sign.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 05:48PM

How many women did he cry into bed?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:24AM

I imagine JS cried when his Wildcat Bank failed. Or maybe when he was describing the angel with the drawn sword threatening him.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 12:32AM

He tried

Posted by: Jesus ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 02:41AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.