Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:22AM

Utah lawsuit against medical marijuana claims it violates the 'religious freedom' of ... landlords
=============================================================

Hunter writes ...
===================

"While being appropriately respectful to all major religions, the new lawsuit against legalizing medical marijuana in Utah is dumb and stupid and wrong and everyone involved should feel bad about themselves.

In the complaint, opponents of Proposition 2 — which would legalize marijuana for people with an array of health conditions — said the ballot initiative would tread on their freedom of religion.
The group says the measure would violate the religious beliefs of Walter J. Plumb, an attorney and active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who is the primary financier of the opposition campaign.

Specifically, the claim is that barring landlords from refusing to rent to medical marijuana cardholders violates those landlords' "religious belief" that their tenants should just suck it up and deal with their illnesses using only the specific list of medicines a given landlord individually decides they approve of, a nonsensical sewage leak of an argument that shares the same fatal flaws as most other "religious" demands that everyone a certain "religious" person interacts with must be compelled to adhere to the "religious" edicts that Bob So-And-So demands of them.

This is a landlord-tenant relationship. There's nothing religious about it. If your "religion" forbids you from renting to individuals who use certain pharmaceutical substances, get out of the rental business. Invest in coins instead, maybe? Boom, problem solved.

According to this argument, it might be against a given American landlord's religion to consume certain "drugs, substances and chemicals”—but you can be absolutely assured that not once have any of these would-be Holy Apartment Renters checked to verify that their tenants with cancer were not using opioid-based pain medication because that would be monstrous and nobody would dare do such a thing.
The "religious" objection being raised, then, is a purely faith-based presumption that Jeebus hates certain medically useful chemicals more than other medically useful chemicals, and given that we currently have no way of asking about it, it does not provide a plausible basis for law-making.
(As far as Jesus goes, many of the Bible's greatest miracles revolve around providing ample quantities of alcohol so there's two strikes against the premise before we've even left the New Testament. But whatever.)

None of this is a scalable method of religious "freedom." The freedom to practice a given religion ends when it requires other Americans to abide by your religious tenets as well because you would find it unacceptably "offensive" if they did not.
It's not true of birth control, it's not true of dietary consumption during certain Wednesdays, it's not true of medical remedies. If your religion requires you to discriminate against other human beings, remove thyself from that business and find a new career in which discrimination against your clients becomes unnecessary.
Instead of being a judgmental pharmacist, be a judgmental street-paver. Instead of renting apartments, grow corn. Heaven knows nobody has done anything immoral while on corn syrup.

Where was I? Ah. The lawsuit. Yeah, it's not expected to go anywhere because it's deeply stupid. But we'll have to keep an eye on it anyway, because our country continues to be in a deeply stupid mood."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:48AM

Walter J. Plumb, an attorney and owner of drug company Pharmics Inc.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:53AM

If your religion requires you to discriminate against other human beings, your religion and your god are a POS.

This entire "religious freedom" movement is getting out of hand. It is being used as a way to force certain religious groups beliefs or practices onto the population as a whole under the guise that others failure to observe the groups beliefs or practices somehow restricts the group.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:47AM

Exactly.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:49AM

If your religion is anti-marijuana, here is your religious freedom: Don't buy any. Solved.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:30PM

I'm waiting for the "religious freedom" BS to backfire.

"But your closely-held religious beliefs are in opposition to MY closely-held religious beliefs."

Mormons should be aware of this (though self-awareness was never one of their strong suits). They got run out of places because their religious beliefs conflicted with the beliefs of those around them.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 03:07PM

The curse of Utah: nowhere to be run off to.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 02:39PM

confusing religious freedom with religious privelege

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:33AM

They are scared of religions [FREEDOM]
Even their own

Afraid of others - and themselves - and their rights (and wrongs), and life - and death - and the unknown (and the supposed 'known', which they think they know, and own)... change, separate, divide, to discredit, and shame, and ridicule, mock and shun, ignore and avoid, deny, lie... and die.

Afraid of others
Afraid of themselves
Afraid of nature
Afraid of God
Afraid of living

M@t

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:36AM

"Hey, this bag you sold me has too many seeds!! I'm gonna' contact Bro. Plumb!! He'll fix your ass!"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:32PM

Kirby weighed in on this. He uses marijuana medical byproducts and says he's not going to stop.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/kirby/2018/08/17/kirby-im-marijuana-user/

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:33PM

Meanwhile, LDS family leaves Utah over medical marijuana access.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/08/lds-family-leaves-utah-over-medical-marijuana-access/

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:47PM

MY religious conscience wants to be free from religious assholes, door-to-door proselytizing, unwanted ministering, and protection from condescending pricks. Not possible, eh? Then i’ll Just have to hang a cannabis flag in front of my house.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:34PM

That's why it should be the Church of Latter-Day Opioid Addicts and Big Pharma. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another mass resignation by those MORMONS who would rather use a plant instead of opioids or other man-made medicine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 01:35PM by doyle18.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:56PM

Here is the Daily Kos take on this trory:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/8/17/1788874/-Mormons-say-Utah-marijuana-ballot-initiative-violates-their-religious-freedom-file-2nd-lawsuit?detail=emaildkre

I have a funny feeling that the author is either an ex-Mormon or somebody who has been reading this board. Note his references to other planets and magic underwear.

On a slightly note, I remember hearing an op-ed on NPR some 10 or so years ago where a reporter commented that what fundamentalists really wanted was not to have to face temptation. They figure if they can outlaw everything that tempts them, then temptation will not be something they'll have to face. I think this applys very much to cannabais.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.