Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:42AM

Wonder why the WoW was silent as to dairy products? Maybe it wasn't as controversial a topic as tobacco or alcohol back in the early saints days.

But now there's more science to correlate why it's beneficial for us.

"Nutritional guidelines often recommend a low-fat diet, despite a lack of consensus among medical experts as to whether a low-fat diet is beneficial to heart health. This means that dairy products, with their relatively high fat content, are on the "eat sparingly" list.

But new research, presented Tuesday at the annual congress of the European Society of Cardiology, suggests that the current advice to limit dairy intake should be reconsidered, especially for those who consume yogurt and cheese as opposed to milk....

The researchers found the consumption of any kind of dairy to be associated with a 2 percent lower risk of death from any cause, while the consumption of a dairy diet of mostly cheese was associated with an 8 percent lower total mortality risk. The risk of death from a stroke was 4 percent lower with total dairy consumption and 7 percent lower with the consumption of milk alone....

While cheese and other dairy products are being reconsidered as heart-healthy add-ons, they are far from lifesaving, and most medical professionals still consider a balanced diet the healthiest option."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heart-health/it-s-time-reconsider-low-dairy-diets-new-study-suggests-n904491

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 04:18PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 12:47PM

But most other dairy products, especially cheese and yogurt, were found to protect against both total mortality — death from any cause — and mortality from cerebrovascular causes.

Hard to take this seriously.

Date: August 29, 2018 02:16PM

I take my dairy very seriously!

:)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 03:24PM

Give me whole milk - 4% fat. What other product is 96% fat free? Sounds good to me. I use the lactose free type. Tastes great. At my age, one of the few things left to enjoy is....taste. I'll take the little bit of fat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 03:25PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: August 29, 2018 04:28PM

When my children were infants I was instructed by their pediatricians to feed them whole milk for the first two years of life (after they were weaned off of formula.) The reason was the whole milk feeds their growing brain cells. Lower fat or fat free milk starves the brain cells during the first two years of life.

When I was a teen and baby sitting many LDS families used skim or powdered milk for bottle feeding. I don't believe they knew any better back then.

It really does have better flavor. :)

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 08:50PM

Because of milk's high water content, 50% of whole milk's calories are from fat. I don't care if you drink it or not, but it's not a low fat food.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 03:34PM

AJ: FYI, your OP repeats the same paragraphs twice. (Sorry, not trying to be a grammar, spelling or paragraph cop).

Date: August 29, 2018 04:18PM

Thanks for letting me know. What I meant to put there while editing post got deleted. So it's been added back. :)

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 03:54PM

Weigh that against the high carbon cost of dairy. There are many ways these topics interrelate with other topics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 03:55PM by dogblogger.

Posted by: CateS ( )

That sounds like a "study" commissioned by and wholly paid for by the American Dairy Association. Or in this case its European equivalent.

Posted by: donbagley ( )

If cheese is bad, I don't want to be good.

Date: August 29, 2018 04:24PM

I know the importance of getting enough calcium from being at risk of osteoporosis.

Growing up on a farm dad kept a dairy cow, so we had lots of fresh milk to go around. It's just something I've been a stickler about all my life ie, getting enough dairy in diet.

The oncology team of doctors treating me have stressed the importance of getting enough calcium. Even more than the ordinary diet calls for + supplements. They track things like bone density in patients.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 08:18PM

Thanks for this, Amyjo.
:)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 04:37PM

The reason there are so many reversals on eating advice is that so much of the advice is essentially a total waste of time. Eggs are good/bad for you. Ditto coffee, wine, beer, dairy, grain, etc, etc.

The effects of these various foods are so small on people's overall wellbeing, that it takes very little change in the data for something to go from "good for you" to "bad for you". In truth, it basically makes so little difference that it doesn't matter.

Unless you have a specific disease (celiac, diabetes, things like that), here is the food advice that covers the vast amount of what is really worth worrying about:
Michael Pollan's advice. Eat real food (not highly processed), mostly plants, not too much.

Exercise regularly. Don't smoke. Eat a varied diet in moderation.

That's it. A few eggs, or a grilled cheese sandwich now and then, or a few cups of coffee a day makes no difference. Ignore the studies. Eat reasonably and get off your butt.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 04:58PM

So recently we've seen a study that indicates alcohol at any level increases your risk of death.

Now we see a study that indicates dairy reduces your risk of death by any cause.

The solution? Don't despair....

Drink a White Russian or Brandy Alexander.

Pair your whiskey and beer with cheese.

Life is good and will go on.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 08:44PM

I think that the whole non-fat movement was not thought out well. It would seem that everything has come full circle over the last 20 years or so that we've been told that things like butter, cheese, whole cream milk, and eggs were bad for your health. So then we had years of omelets made of egg whites (blegh), skim milk (that awful translucent stuff), and different kinds of butter substitutes. Now we find out what some of us suspected the whole time--eggs really are good for you, butter is fine, cheese is wholesome, and regular milk is okay.

Some of you peeps have been to Europe or even lived there, and you know that the French, Spanish, or Italians would never do all that substitution and low fat things, yet they're more healthy than we are. Thinner, too. What kind of French person would hold back on the eggs, butter, and cheese?

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:31PM

The stuff they make for themselves, but can sell because it's unpasteurized is *INCREDIBLE*!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:12PM

I've never worried much about dairy consumption. My maternal grandmother came from a line of farmers, had high dairy consumption, and lived to be almost 90. Besides, my bones could use the help.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:22PM

As our babies were weaned, we kept a few of these table grinders on hand, so that if one or two were in the wash cycle, we still had a clean one. We put in whole-milk yogurt (usually Stonyfield's), plus a bit of whatever was on our dinner plates: a little meat, a bit of vegetables plus the yogurt. Then crank away, producing a very nutritious mush, and a lot cheaper than little jars of baby food.

This would make a great gift for a baby shower:

https://www.babygearlab.com/reviews/nursing-feeding/baby-food-maker/kidalog-food-mill-grinder

Hard to find in stores, but they are on-line. Which reminds me--my first grandson is due in three weeks!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 06:35AM

My grandmother taught us to eat like people did in the 1940's, before margarine was invented. We were English and a little Irish. Remember when "they" said potatoes were bad for you?
Why were we all slender and athletic? Grandma and Mom lived to be 94 and 95. My mother was a professional ballerina. My father was Intermountain Tennis Champion. My brother an I both had athletic scholarships to good universities. We drank tons of milk.

My dance instructor told me to lose 8 pounds, and I tried a low-fat diet, and I felt like I was going to starve to death! A nutritionist told me that we need SOME fat, to keep hunger away. I did not feel well, being underweight, and had less strength for dancing and tennis. The dancing program didn't allow us to ski. So, I quit.

Don't ever diet. Just eat good, fresh, unprocessed, whole foods, a balanced diet (ignore the new "food pyramid". Who could eat that much grain? Horses?) like the 5 food groups. No junk food--I don't like it, anyway.

Nothing stops hunger like a glass of milk! There's a study that milk drinkers have smaller waistlines!

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 08:41AM

"Milk is the product of rape, kidnapping, torture and murder": https://www.viva.org.uk/why-milk-feminist-issue

And is unnecessary: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/5-ridiculous-myths-about-cows-milk/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.