Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 08:57AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 09:06AM

Loneliness and insecurity

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 09:44AM

It's like saint ronald ray gun said ... "people want to believe".

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:03AM

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:04AM

Socially and psychologically, there are many factors which make people susceptible to cults.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:19AM

Culty weirdness makes them feel special. Don’t you want to feel special? Here, read this hook, er I mean book.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 12:26PM

I was born that way.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 02:36PM

There are three disparate reasons:

1. born into it
2. extensive recruiting gets some results
3. fall into it, maybe at a vulnerable period in their lives

Note that none of this means you have to blame the victim.

Saying people "fall for it" is blaming the victim.

Note also that the vast majority DON'T fall for it.

Put it all together: if I set ten thousand traps and catch only five rabbits, was it those five's fault? Doesn't it have more to do with my extensive trapping? Isn't it more notable that 9,995 didn't fall for it?

Date: August 29, 2018 02:59PM

I remember at four years when the ward teachers were in our home, realizing that they were lying. I knew if they weren't telling the truth, other mormons saying the same things were also spreading untruths.

I tried to believe it off and on, but it never stuck. I was a victim who saw through it. Others could too if they would use their brains. But they turn off their intellects like the switch on a lamp when they think about religion.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 03:43PM

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 03:07PM

I think people fall for it because it's basically a hobby, like golf.

A few months ago I was in a very Mormon venue reading a scholarly document written by a Mormon professional, and the document was logical, well-supported, incisive, and insightful. I wondered how such a smart, well-educated guy could fall for a corporation masquerading as a church, and all the people around me too. Then it occurred to me that it's a hobby. Look how much effort, time, and expense men put in on professional sports, and now e-sports. You convince yourself it's important, and suddenly, it is.

Date: August 30, 2018 11:55AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 12:15PM

They don't. How many convert baptisms have there been in your ward lately? The lifers get sucked in by family and related social pressure. They are well aware it is a corporation.

ETA: Lifers may not be consciously aware that it is literally a corporation, but they have adopted the corporation clothing and hair styles, corporate recruiting tactics, corporate branding tactics, etc that make Mormonism what it is. They all recognize a photo of the corporate headquarters and know that is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 12:20PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 12:29PM

methinks an important factor here is that (at least on the surface) the GAs don't appear to be living 'lifestyles of the rich & famous'

do the Q guys get stipends like MPs & some others do?

that would indicate to me that they aren't paying (federal) income taxes on the sources of their 'income'; IDK a thing about Utah or IMW state taxes...

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 04:08PM

Secrecy. At least in my case. I tried researching Mormonism in pre-internet days and got nowhere. Had there been an internet it would not have happened to me.

I think there are still many who do not do their due diligence before getting sucked in. Children, of course, are prime victims.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 30, 2018 07:35PM

Heck, there are millions of people who fall for straight up corporations, buy their products, wear their logos and so on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.