Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:10AM

The article has no mention of exactly where this Utah couple were married but judging by her clothing and his, it must have been a proper Temple wedding...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6108395/Newlywed-Utah-couple-28-30-killed-car-crash-way-Canadian-honeymoon.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:20AM

This is the kind of story used to scare couples into not having a civil wedding for their non-member families, then having to wait a year for a temple ceremony.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:23AM

The groom doesn't have an officially sanctioned hair cut. I'm guessing no temple wedding.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:26AM

mormon "leadership" is asleep at the wheel.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:32AM

In my opinion driving long distances such as this when you are tired is an exercise in stupidity! It is sad that such a thing as this happened but perhaps it is an example of benavioral consequence.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:50AM

Would I choose that way to be saved from a lifetime of Mormonism? That’s a tough one.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 02:33PM

One should always hope that in due time they would have freed themselves from their church shackles.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 10:59AM

***From the article*
Luczak holds onto similar feelings as well, stating that he watched them live and die together.

'I watched them live together, I watched them ride bikes together, smile together, and laugh, and I watched them die together,' he shared. 'But they went hand in hand through the veil and that gives me reassurance that they're still together.'

Sounds like some mormon talk to me.

Date: August 29, 2018 11:06AM

God be with their families and friends.

Date: August 29, 2018 11:17AM

But I do hope their deaths can save other lives as a lesson.

I remember some years ago how 2 teenagers were lost at sea in FL. Joe Namath was a family friend of one of the boys' parents and he was kinda a spokesman for them. Newspapers even ran stories about not blaming the parents for allowing the boys out on a boat unchaperoned. But, IMO, yes other parents should have taken heed to that tragedy to not give their own children so much freedom, placing them in adult situations.
No, this isn't an apple/apple comparison. But yes, other young people and older can learn from this couple's deaths.

Just pull over somewhere and take a nap. Wherever you're going will still be there.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 11:10AM

If it was a civil marriage, they'll be married by proxy in short order temple ceremony.

How tragic. Such a beautiful, young couple.

Sleep deprivation is worse than drunk driving, per studies shown.

Posted by: logged off ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 01:34PM

If it was "only" a civil marriage, they're screwed, per Spencer Kimball the Fearmonger:

"I remember an article in a local newspaper, telling of a young couple married in Salt Lake by a man who had only civil authority — no power beyond the grave. They had a brilliant wedding breakfast. They got into the car to travel to another city for an evening wedding reception, where hundreds of friends and relatives would come to wish them well. They did not reach their destination. There was no reception. A car accident took their lives. Their mortality was ended. An eternal life had not been provided for. About three hours of marriage, and the end of it came like a flash of lightning. And the sad thing was that their three-hour marriage was performed within a mile of the holy Temple, where a man with the sealing power would gladly have saved them from the bitter cup.

"They’re in eternity now. I don't know what they're thinking or what they’re doing, but they're not prepared for eternity. They had grown to twenty years or more of life and they didn't go to the temple, even though they were members of the Church. They ignored it. They left it. If they ever gave a serious thought, do you suppose they were saying, 'Oh, we can have the sealing ordinance performed later'? Do you suppose the bereaved family was thinking, 'Well, it’s too bad; but then, we can go to the temple in a year and have the work done for them'?

"Yes, the family can go to the temple a year later. Yes, they can do the ordinance work for them. And the records will show it. But the question is, Will the young deceased couple accept the ordinances when they were of such little consequence to them while they lived? And more important than all else, do you think that God is going to be mocked? He is the God of the living, not of the dead. And they were dead, both physically and also, it would seem, spiritually. He has identified this ordinance as one to be done in mortality while you have your body and your spirit together. Perhaps not any scripture emanating from the mouth of God has been so definite and positive and unchangeable as those we are quoting."

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/spencer-w-kimball_marriage-honorable/

Spencer and his god – such asshats.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 01:44PM

I remember these "scare" talks. The church made well use of them in their lessons.

And then there were members' personal woes that fueled the superstition.

"Poor Brother Thatch. He was trying to clear the leaves from his roof when he fell to the ground. That arm cast is going to remind him to rest on Sundays and not do work in the yard on the sabbath."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 06:34PM

>>Spencer and his god – such asshats.

Spencer Kimball was a complete sociopath -- absolutely no genuine human empathy to be had. What is it for sociopathy, one in every twenty-four people? He was one of them. The "god" that he worshipped was no better. Your average parents would treat their children with more kindness than Spencer or his inferior "god." Shame on him!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 12:34PM

Whistler makes great winter & summer vacations, this is very sad.

Sometimes i drink (gosh!) A coke to stay awake while driving.

7:30 pm isn't late (!?)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 12:44PM

SLC to Yakima is about 700 miles. Getting an early start that's about 12 hours of driving giving some time for getting fuel, a bite to eat and potty breaks.

Unless you've trained your body for long distance travel, you are going to get fatigued and bad things will happen.

Maybe they were really looking forward to their honeymoon at Whistler, when instead they should have just enjoyed their journey.

RIP Amy and Steve

Date: August 29, 2018 06:26PM

Twelve hours is an awfully long drive. I've never tried for more than eight on any given day, and that's with breaks. Sometimes when I was very tired late at night, after a long drive, I would pull the window all the way down or pull over for a quick nap.

I'm so sorry that this young couple died. What a horrible tragedy.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 02:04PM

I saw a Facebook post about this awful accident and there was a link to both of their Facebook pages so being the snoop that I am, I see that she was a returned missionary but it said nothing about him, so I guess we can be sure she was going to "work on him" to be sealed in the temple.

Or depending on their families, the works possibly been done already.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 05:33PM

The trouble with multiple roll-overs is that after the first roll, the airbags have come and gone.

So terribly sad.

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 06:25PM

Years ago I sat in my patrol car on the edge of 80 EB. Roads were icy, visibility was poor. I heard a crash and looked into my rear view mirror to see two vehicles recoiling away from each other. Rear ender I thought. I backed and yelled across the median, (a uninvolved had all ready stopped) Do we need an ambulance? "Yes hurry". I grabbed my kit and ran through the snow in the median. I saw the tracks where one vehivle had crossed the median, head on. A passenger van and a small car. No serious injuries in the van. A young man and woman in the car. The woman's head had struck the windshield, she was temporarily blinded by glass and blood. She asked "is my husband alright?". No pulse I tip his head back to start cpr and knew his neck was broken. I told her "he's badly hurt we're doing what we can (he was dead). Later at the hospital I learned the rest of the story. They had just been sealed, married in the sl temple and were on their way to their wedding reception in Evanston. He was a convert and his non mormon family waited to celebrate the marriage. It's an ugly story and the rest of the story is ugly too, so I'll end.

Date: August 29, 2018 06:40PM

Thank you for your service, Barnupcrik. It was fortunate that you were close enough to render timely aid to the young women. I know that first responders see so many unspeakable things.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 07:01PM

I echo what Summer said. What a tragedy. Glad you were there to comfort her.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 05:50AM

A good friend died near Yakima on I-90 after falling asleep at the wheel and running into a semi going up an incline. Fundie Christian Baptist funeral put me right off as did the distasteful open casket as he was disfugured.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.