Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 02:28PM

So I live in the suburbs of a medium-sized college town in Eastern Kentucky. I moved here after living in Utah County for 50 years. The way it apparently works here is that you are a member of some church, either baptist or pentacostal, or just maybe methodist or Catholic, but probably not the last two, but in any case, your social group is built around church, but for some reason there are scores of different ones. Myself being an ex-mormon, I have been a bit confused. After more than a year of social isolation, I felt the urge to do something. Thank Zeuss, god, or Jupiter or nothing, I have an option. There's a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship here. They don't give a shit what you believe. They just try to be good people. Perfect!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 02:51PM

Date: March 13, 2015 03:07PM

Lol.

Posted by: which which for lunch ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 03:11PM

I just applied for a job in Pikeville, so maybe we'll be almost neighbors!

Date: March 13, 2015 03:30PM

I'm near Richmond. For some reason they call it Eastern Kentucky, even though it's actually sort of central.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 10:47PM

rationalist01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm near Richmond. For some reason they call it
> Eastern Kentucky, even though it's actually sort
> of central.

Because Kentucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 10:47PM by Beth.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 12:13AM

That area is among the most beautiful in the world. For miles around, there are racehorse breeding farms one after another, with gorgeous homes and pastures and old stone fences. When we visit our daughter who lives east of Cincinnati, we get off I-75 at Lexington and travel northeast through Paris and Maysville. Breathtakingly beautiful scenery.

Plus, that drive passes through one of the sexiest places on earth:

http://parks.ky.gov/parks/historicsites/big-bone-lick/

Date: March 14, 2015 12:35AM

I'm too silly right now.

Every state has beautiful regions, and hell, Kentucky is a Commonwealth, so I dig that.

Sorry. I lived in Pensyltuckey, IOW Harrisburg.

I'll lay off the mockery as soon as I get over "Big Bone Lick."

;-)

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 03:33PM

Kentucky and culture in the same sentence! Who'd a thunk?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 04:03PM

Ziller loves the fried chicken from there.

Ziller never tires of hearing the story of the 1st Recipe either.

On Fast Sundays Grandpa Ziller used to gather the little ones and share the sacred story while we all sipped at our water glasses and waited for midnight for the Sabbath to be officially over and we could eat.

He said that, not knowing the correct method of battering his chicken, the young Colonel Sanders retired to a grove of trees to pray.

An ancient angry alien space god appeared to him in a vision saying that all recipes for fried chicken were an abomination to him, that the young Colonel Sanders was to fry none of them, and that the true recipe was hidden in a cookbook hidden in Auntie Ziller’s attic.

The young Colonel Sanders did not actually need to physically retrieve the cookbook however because the ancient angry alien space god gave him a Urrrum and Thumbum so he could see the names of the 11 holy herbs and spices in glowing letters by placing his face in a hat.

That is why Colonel Sanders wears glasses and a funny tie.

And the ancient angry alien space god has been a little less angry ever since.

ziller

Date: March 13, 2015 10:51PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 08:01PM

Indeed:

"Leon W. 'Pete' Harmon, a native [of] Grranger[Utah] and a graduate of Cyprus High School in Magna [Utah], pioneered the first Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise and helped build one of the world’s most prolific chicken brands.

"In 1941, Pete Harmon and his wife, Arlene, relocated from San Francisco back to Utah and opened their first restaurant, the 'Do Drop Inn,' with a total capital investment of $15. Located at 3890 South S. Street, the 'Do Drop Inn' sat only 15 people and was a small hamburger and root beer stand.

"However, the restaurant succeeded and every year Harmon would add to and expand both the menu and the restaurant’s building-- except for his two years in the Army when he served in the infantry during World War II. Eventually, he renamed the building 'Harmon’s Café' and had amassed a seating capacity of 240 people, plus car service.

"The biggest addition to the menu took place in 1952 with the addition of 'Kentucky fried chicken.'

"Colonel Harland Sanders had perfected his chicken recipe through the 1930s and 1940s and operated his own restaurant, the 'Sanders Court & Café,' in Corbin, Kentucky. When Interstate 75 bypassed Corbin, Colonel Sanders sold his restaurant and traveled the U.S. to sell his chicken recipe to other restaurant owners.

"The first to accept his offer was Pete Harman in Salt Lake City. With a handshake agreement, Pete Harman agreed to pay Colonel Sanders five cents for every chicken sold. For $3.50, customers received 14 pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls and gravy.

"With the success of the handshake agreement, in 1952 Colonel Harland Sanders incorporated his company under the name Kentucky Fried Chicken.

"By the early 1960s, Kentucky Fried Chicken was sold in over 600 franchised outlets.

"The partnership between Harman and Sanders was very successful. Harman invented the famous 'to-go' paper bucket, developed training manuals and product guides for other franchisees, and capitalized on the 'Finger-lickin’ good' motto.

"The original and first Kentucky Fried Chicken (Harmon’s Café) at 3900 S. State in Salt Lake City was demolished in 2004 and rebuilt in the same location as a museum and an updated restaurant."

http://www.examiner.com/article/salt-lake-original-first-kentucky-fried-chicken-restaurant-franchise
______

Ah yes, that "Finger-lookin' good" motto.

I heard that Mormons in Salt Lake were so poor (after first paying tithing, their fast offerings and buying their garments--all before eating), that they would go into Kentucky Fried Chicken and lick other people's fingers.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 08:11PM by steve benson.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 11:02PM

Posted by: wanderingbutnotlost ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 05:55PM

In parts of the country like that, you choose a church for the social group you want to be part of.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 07:58PM

Traditionally in New England the churches had different ranking. The highest were Episcopalians, second the Presbyterians, then the Congregationalist, followed by the Methodists and the Baptists. Pick your class. Though New England started out with the Pilgrims and Puritans - both essentially congregationalists, by the Revolution the higher class were Episcopalians (many of whom were on the losing side and moved to Canada). George Washington, being upper class, was an Episcopalian.

I would imagine there were and are similar distinctions in Kentucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 07:59PM by rhgc.

Date: March 13, 2015 10:49PM

Posted by: oh the irony ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 10:41PM

My mother, a native Kentuckian, converted from Baptist to Mormon in her early teens. Her reason? "They treat women so much better!" Wow. And yes, my grandfather is a big enough a**hole that I can see why she thought that. She thinks my dad is so amazing because he's never cheated and never beat her. He saved that for us kids.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 10:48PM

Curious.

In US they are called Episcopalians and in Canada and Britain they are called Anglicans.

Can anyone tell me why it is the same church with different names?

Date: March 13, 2015 10:49PM

Posted by: Eternigator ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 05:37PM

Anglican clergy must swear fealty to the Crown. In America, that was(is?) illegal.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 10:57PM

A shout out from a Western Kentucky kid! Paducah! Born there but came back to CA as a baby. All my dad's family was from Paducah, Grand Rivers, and Smithland.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 05:17PM

Love Paducah!

Especially the Run Under the Stars 10 hour endurance race, that you folks have the first weekend in June over in Carson Park!

That's essentially a 10 hour run fest and all around party for runners who don't know when to stop !

FUN !

Date: March 14, 2015 12:06AM

And did you know that Steve Benson's brother is the president of EKU?

Date: March 14, 2015 04:10PM

He's got big plans for the place. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 07:54PM by steve benson.

Date: March 14, 2015 07:56PM

OK, I don't have the highest standards. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 07:56PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 11:11PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, I don't have the highest standards. :)

Now, now. My granddaddy worked for the Sun Democrat back in the day.

Date: March 14, 2015 05:25PM

Huh? Oh, yeah, there's a college in Berea.. Basket weaving or something. JK, Berea College has a very interesting history and is cool. I actually should have said "University town." I live a few miles outside Richmond. Steve's brother is president of EKU? I had no clue!

Date: March 15, 2015 08:05PM

...and all they do is basket weaving. :-)

Seriously, my daughter graduated from Berea as did her husband. Her degree is in theater arts, and his is in building science or something like that. He's drilling oil and gas at present. They live east of Cincinnati now.

Berea College indeed has an interesting history. It was founded before the Civil War by abolitionists for white and black kids to attend together. There's no tuition; the students work at the college to pay their way. The program has been known in the past for its craftmaking such as weaving, woodworking, pottery, etc. They have shops where tourists can buy items to help support the school. My daughter worked in the theater's costume shop for four years, and that made her an excellent designer and seamstress. After she graduated, she worked at various theaters in New Orleans, Memphis, on a cruise ship, etc., doing costumes. She and her hubby started a community theater group in their area last summer.

We love that area. Our daughter's wedding was in the very ornate college chapel, and we had their reception at Happiness Hills Farm just east of town. We love the old Victorian homes in Richmond too, as well as Winchester, Paris, Cynthiana, etc., and of course the Ashland area of Lexington.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 06:16PM

If I sell my house here I can get a castle with tennis courts and a lovely swimming pool in Eastern Kentucky, But I don't want to live there.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 15, 2015 12:01PM

I always thought the shoot outs on Justified were over the top, but I still waited it as one of the more realistic cop shows, because it's depiction of life and culture in rural east Kentucky was so spot on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.