Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 12:03AM

A little more than a month ago, I posted about the LDS-centered ads showing on my Instagram feed:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2142552

Now, Facebook is carrying essentially the same ads although they're harder to ignore than the ones on Instagram.

https://www.justlds.com/2019-oct-10-rome-temple-greek-isles

And yes, I know life is tough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 12:19AM

Not an IT or tech, but I'm wondering if the same ads show up because it remembers the same ads you've experienced before. I know that when I read an article on the SLTrib, my EBAY browsing data is embedded within the paragraphs.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 12:35AM

I'm sure you're right..so much of what you read on Facebook comes connected with algorithms of other subjects. (Oh, look I used the word "algorithm". I think I spelled it wrong).

I am a little puzzled about how much LDS related stuff I get because I promise I don't look at LDS ads nor do I click on LDS (not mormon) groups or sites.

I try to ignore all of it I can, although I do have several TBM Facebook friends.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 09:35AM

I apologize by proxy.

Not that the mormon cult is one of our clients, but...my company does digital advertising (including on FB, Instagram, etc.). And I spend most of my days coming up with technology to figure out which ads to present to you based on your browsing history. And I'm pretty good at it.

Now, see, if mormons WERE our clients, you wouldn't be seeing those ads. 'Cause my technology is smart enough to figure out that (for example) you visit "anti-mormon" sites, so you're not a good target for mormon-related ads. Instead, we'd serve you ads for beer, coffee, and real underwear. Or something. But not mormon ads :)

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 11:59AM

I have!

M@t

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 01:34PM

I never see any church ads. But I find it disturbing that if I shop on a store's website, I see ads for that store appear on other web pages almost immediately.

Usually ads have a little symbol up on top for ad choices where you can say that it doesn't apply to you. Or just browse resorts in Bora Bora to watch you ads improve a whole lot. ;)

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 01:52PM

If all ads stopped on YouTube I would be so happy. Just give me that one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.