Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 11:27AM

"Utah, the second-happiest state based on this ranking, is of course, very different in both in geography and culture than Hawaii. But it ranks highly on a variety of levels; it’s first in fewest work hours, volunteer rate and has the lowest divorce rate. It also came in second (after Colorado, which ranked at 18th overall) in highest sports participation rate.

'We know that if you ever look for a happy pick-me-up, helping others, is a boost,' says Johnson. 'Utah’s volunteer rate certainly contributes to its [second-place ranking]. Having the lowest divorce rate also says something because our significant relationships, whether marriage or friendship, play a huge role in our happiness.'

A CONNECTION TO NATURE IS PROFOUNDLY POWERFUL
Having beautiful and accessible natural scenery within reach is also a perk for Utah, California and other high-ranking states.

“Some explanation around places such as California, Hawaii, Utah and North Dakota’s [high ranking] suggest that connection to nature can help support happiness, and that time spent outdoors can truly teach about containment, lower expectations from the artificial, technology-driven world around us and help foster that connectedness to the earth and other people,” says Christie Tcharkhoutian a marriage and family therapist."

Now don't ya'll start moving there at once! ;-)

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/happiest-states-america-ranked-yours-one-best-ncna909241

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 11:29AM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 11:45AM

Antidepressants.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 12:17PM

Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup get us high.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 12:28PM

Working in nursery confirmed my personal Chaos Theory. “If you give these kids sugar, there’s gonna be chaos”.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 12:20PM

Yes-it's the antidepressants. Isn't Utah ranked number 1 in the nation for antidepressant use? And, there is a huge problem in Utah with Opioid abuse. All of the beautiful scenery in Utah just can't seem to fix the depression and pain.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 12:51PM

I assume that the survey is based on self-reporting... ...so more evidence in re mormons having no real problem with lying. Not that any of us ever doubted!

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 10:04PM

Phony phony phony.

(Did I mention phony?)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 02:36PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 04:36PM

Second highest happiness rate. Fifth highest suicide rate.

"Watch what they do. Ignore what they say."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 04:45PM

The church tells them they are happy because they have the church. They repeat it like a bunch of parrots. The church has defined what happiness is: Mormon busyness = happiness.

Our women are happy! They make quilts!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 05:35PM

Looks like there are extremes in the state. Lot's of particularly unhappy people and some very very happy people. Maybe this is contributing to Utah being the most judgmental state filled with annoying people in the nation?

Date: September 16, 2018 10:46PM

Is it possible it's a microcosm of Prozac America?

That may help explain its high ratings, next to Hawaii.

Seriously, the scenery is what captivates me of southern Utah. The Mojave desert has mostly blue skies year round, unlike its northern counterpart high in the Rockies.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 10:56PM

Well...Hawaiians have been celebrating ever since they discovered the versatility of Spam... You scoff, but it's true. (Don't believe the lies about their happiness being related to climate, proximity to the ocean, flowers, dolphins and tropical fruit.)

It all started with Spam.

Date: September 16, 2018 11:07PM

Are you sure bout that?

Spam goes together with green jello @ Mormon banquets of yesteryear.

Spam is so 60's. :)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 11:24PM

I'm pretty sure.

Those Mormon misuses are uninspired Spam applications that are not pleasing unto the nostrils of God and, as Bruce R. McDonkey once preached, people who persist in such misuses of God's meaty manna in a can have been led astray and are wallowing in a trough of endless ignorance brought about by the great falling away and are only bringing spamnation upon themselves.

In Hawaii, the restored gospel of Spam has brought forth miraculous and marvelous works and wonders such as kimchi & spam fried rice, pineapple-spamburgers and spam musubi. These have been ordained by God from the foundations of the world and are worthy of all approbation.

Date: September 17, 2018 04:55PM

:)

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 04:59PM

I thought everything I heard about Hawaiians loving Spam was nonsense until I saw a Spam McMuffin for sale at a McDonalds when I was there on vacation. It is true.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 04:47PM

Not real happiness.

Date: September 17, 2018 04:57PM

If I ever get to retire to Utah, I will be happier. I can feel it. Not because it's the capital of Mormonism. Because I can hear it calling me home.

You can be happy anywhere you make up your mind to be.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 05:44PM

Maybe you're right. I am not exactly sure what real happiness feels like exactly though.

Date: September 17, 2018 06:15PM

There's a caveat to that. I know if I'd tried to move there before retiring that I wouldn't be able to afford to live there.

I may end up just snowbirding there in the wintertime.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 05:48PM

blandness never was happiness.

Date: September 17, 2018 06:18PM

My never Mo grandmother loved it there. She made it her home, and where she raised her family. She kept interests well into retirement, and had lots of friends and activities to keep her busy. She was by all accounts, a happy person.

Her children, not so much. Grandma knew how to make lemonade when life gave her lemons. She was the matriarch of our family, until she died.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 12:09PM

I think it is getting better the less Mormon it becomes and the more tolerant Utah Mormons become.

Mormons in Utah have a history of tolerating "gentiles." Brigham Young started Z.I.O.N.S. expressly to shut out Mormon gentiles. He had no problems taking money from passers through Utah but didn't want to accept many settlers. He couldn't control them.

Over time after Brigham Utah Mormons became very accepting of non-Mormons. It has only been in the later part of the 20th Century (read Hinckley times) when Mormonism in Utah returned to Brigham Young times treatment of non-Mormons I believe.

As a kid we didn't try to convert non-Mormons much. As an adult in the 90s living there it was very different.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 10:01PM

I don't know how it is 2nd happiest. It seems like their is an overabundance of rude angry people here.

Date: September 18, 2018 07:47AM

There is?

When I've visited I met more friendly hospitable types.

However, there were a few that paint Utahns in a bad light.

I observed several of the rude, angry types in public places. I didn't realize there's an overabundance of them.

")

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 07:51AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 01:19PM

"The prophet says we're the happiest people on the planet so why are we only Number 2? I am sick of this persecution!"

Date: September 18, 2018 01:50PM

Hawaii's where to go to get away from Utah!

;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.