Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 02:40AM

So, why can bishops go behind closed doors with a little girl (alone) or a grown woman (alone) and ask her sexual questions?

Is there an explanation for that, or am I just a hater ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 02:54AM

Good question.

Why can't the financial clerk work alone behind closed door with the tithing and fast offering money?

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 03:11AM

Just to clarify, even a pair of male missionaries cannot meet with a single female in most circumstances unless a fourth person is present. Yet, a single male missionary (i.e., a district leader) can meet with any single individual for a pre-baptismal interview. And a single male bishop always meets with single members (female or male, youth or adult) for periodic worthiness interviews.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:04AM

Why, it's because the bishop has super-powerful priesthood and the discernment of the holiest of ghosties, of course!

Which sometimes is a license to be an ass...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 02:11AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why, it's because the bishop has super-powerful
> priesthood and the discernment of the holiest of
> ghosties, of course!
>
> Which sometimes is a license to be an ass...

....or a bishoPrick

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:55AM

One reason is that mormons love to unload all their emotional baggage in the bishops office. I never have and have always kept things short, but seriously I've sat there waiting for my turn for what seems like 40 minutes and am like "what is going on in there?"

And it turns out to be some lady wiping her tear and the bishop being all priestly.

The trouble is that if they have more witnesses in the room, the question of confidentiality becomes greater. It would be great if interviews were conducted by bishops and relief society president or someone, But would the ward trust the lady interviewer with keeping secrets?

This is a big problem and few can reliably be trusted.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 09:50PM

>But would the ward trust the lady interviewer with keeping secrets?

Male interviewers don't have that good of a record of keeping secrets.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any Mormon to keep a secret.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:11PM

Bishops CAN'T and DON't keep everything confidential. Hot potato issues are just TOO juicy and they are as big of a gossip at times as anyone. It happened to me in a devastating instance of breach of confidence and I know it has happened at other times since I have been the receiver of the gossip.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:30PM

Before I was a member, I felt the need to confess something to the bishop. I was convinced it was the right thing to do to be extra worthy of baptism. In hindsight, it probably made for juicy gossip. I like to think that bishop had integrity, but I'll never know for sure and it stopped mattering to me years ago.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 05:12PM

So we’ll keep women out of interviews because of the stereotype that says they blab. But the fact that men are much more likely to be sexual predators isn’t considered?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:06PM

The higher up they get, the more perks they get.

The higher up they get, the more the rule "do as I say, not as I do" applies.

Posted by: NameChanged2ProtectTheInnocent ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 11:26PM

Ex made a fortune in real estate.

He relied on his sycophant in the bishopric to relay names of folks whose marriages were in trouble, and whose homes were headed for foreclosure.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 04:36PM

at the time that my ex left me. They assigned a couple to me for HT. UNTIL I requested no HTs. Wait a minute, I just realized that I had male HTs for a short time after that and the main HT was the old stake president and a younger male (teenager). I only allowed him to come visit me once. He'd stop me when he'd see me walking and ask if he could come to visit and I told him no every time. I knew him as I had worked for his boss at Thiokol. He had also been the bishop when I first moved here.

The SP HT was actually assigned when the next bishop was put in and then I had to tell the new bishop no HTs.

What I couldn't understand was the attitude of it being a problem if 2 people of the opposite sex were together they couldn't keep their hands off each other. I had some interesting experiences because of this when I was working at Thiokol and rode with all men carpools. Some of the wives just couldn't handle that. OH, but the mormon women always sent me as a young girl home from babysitting with their husband driving me home.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 07:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 01:20AM by kathleen.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 09:22PM

You're asking why a church whose doctrines don't make sense would also have policies that don't make sense?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.