Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 08:33PM

Here's a story from the DesNews today, and you can read it from the link:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900032313/gun-goes-off-in-provo-church-during-sunday-meetings-no-injuries-reported.html

However, I really love this sentence: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often called the Mormon church, has a policy that prohibits guns in meetinghouses." Is that how it's going to happen? "....often called the Mormon Church?"

Did they have to get that approved by Kirton McConkie?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 09:08PM

The guy broke church rules, and gun rules. Guns don't accidentally "go off". The guy should be dis-fellowshipped, or what ever the Hell they call it. And his concealed carry permit should be revoked. But, in Utah, he will be judged as "a good mormon" and no penalties will be invoked by the law or the church.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 03:59PM

Depends on the gun. Some of the older guns are pretty scary with floating firing pins and pins on the hammer. There was a reason you left one chamber empty on your six shooter. Even with a modern pistol like a Glock that has three safeties that go on automatically you want to keep that pistol in a holster that covers the trigger. People put guns loose in their pocket and in their purse. It's possible for car keys, pens, and other stuff to get stuck in the trigger guard and pull back on the trigger.

In Israel they teach their armed citizens to carry chamber empty to avoid accidents. They train them how to identify a threat and rack the slide very fast. This method of carry eliminates accidents.

If you carry with a round in the pipe you really need to know if the gun really is safe carrying that way. What kind of safeties does it have? A pistol with a round in the chamber should always be carried in a properly designed holster.

Posted by: Anon for This One ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 12:29AM

I just took the chambered round out of my revolver. I've had it fully loaded (five rounds) for years, ever since concealed carry became legal in my State. I can chamber the next round almost as quickly as you can with an automatic. I keep it at home. There is a lot of firearm violence where I live.

I quit carrying concealed years ago. The recertification classes are expensive, plus the firearm makes one's bag bulky and heavy. I have a special concealed-carry bag that I bought at a gun show. It was expensive, all-leather, nicely designed, very durable. I still carry the bag, just because I like it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 10:01PM

“Forgot about the (loaded) gun in his backpack.” ?????

Hmmmmm ...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 11:41AM

Sure. 'Cause, you know, we keep being told that all gun owners are careful, responsible, law-abiding people...until they aren't.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 08:20PM

I used to work in security. If you only knew how many pistols are in ladies purses. There are more firearms being carried than people know and a surprisingly small amount of accidents.

We never hear about the people who don't have any accidents, just the idiot who does.

I'm more worried about the idiots driving cars than the idiots packing guns. I have a much higher probability of dying in the car accident.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 09:53AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm more worried about the idiots driving cars
> than the idiots packing guns. I have a much
> higher probability of dying in the car accident.

Oh, absolutely, you do.

Personally, I'd like to reduce the probabilities of both kinds of deaths, not just the more likely one, though. I'd like to reduce the probability of lots of ways we can die, even some that are downright improbable, but where we have the ability to do so. :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 11:45AM

memikeyounot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, I really love this sentence: "The Church
> of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often called
> the Mormon church, has a policy that prohibits
> guns in meetinghouses."

Maybe if they changed this policy they would get more members? Out with the gay children in with more guns at church.

> "....often called the Mormon Church?"

Yeah, verily even.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 12:06PM

I am wondering if he got his wonderful advice to tell these scared girls not to discuss this with anyone but their parents from the Kirton_McConkie hot line. Would hate to have this get out and become a big news story. Sully the reputation and image of the church you know.

What an idiot in this day and age of cell phones. What is the first thing a teen does when they are told not to tell anyone. (Unless it is backed up with a threat of harm) they usually go right out and start talking about it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 01:56PM

You never know when your SP is going to call you to go to Mountain Meadows.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 02:10PM

+∞

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 02:36PM

My favorite part of the article in the SLC DezNez...

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often called the Mormon church..."

(Considering the most recent news..how do they get away with this? )

How many gun owners can't remember where they put a loaded gun?
Something wrong with this picture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.