Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 06:12PM

It is like if you have a good reason to do something it is okay but if you don't its a naughty no, no that in some leads to addiction.

I wanted to reply to the now closed thread about Kirby's suspension where Cabbie claimed he was against non-medical pot. I wanted to reply and ask him if there was such a thing as medical alcohol consumption?

But I didn't/just did.

And then there is sex. For some reason there has to be a good reason to screw or it is bad. You can't just have consensual sex with someone unless you have a ring, a promise, some deep emotional connection etc. or I guess these days it is vogue to get pregnant before marriage. There is a reason when you need one to get hitched.

We live in this world of pills and processes and predilections towards things and we for some unknown to me reason need reasons to get high, get off, get hitched, and get a life after getting off the juice.

Why is this?

I know that as a recently sexually abused teenager I got high, off, and lots of juice in an attempt to forget things in my life. But did I have a "good reason" or "reason to" do what I did? I don't know. I jumped back full throttle into Mormonism to get a life. What a huge let down that was.

So what if someone uses somethings recreationally? Does the risk of addiction justify prohibition? I don't think so. If anything better reasons to prohibit seem in order. Alcohol is known killer. I am an occasional social drinker. Should I only be able to have a drink if I have a good reason?

I've known a few Mormons who guzzle coffee that their doctor "prescribed." How ridiculous does that sound?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2018 06:14PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 06:52PM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-approves-epidiolex-first-marijuana-based-drug-for-seizures/

Until this drug was developed, marijuana was found to be "useful" in treating certain forms of epilepsy.

And honest, you won't "get me near the stuff," and I give a lot of weight to Dr. Drew Pinsky's* claim, "Medical marijuana is a joke."

However, the cream offered--and "legal" in many states--has a large "following" among those who use it for arthritus pain, etc. My sister who lives out-of-state is Mom's "supplier."

The issue of legality, of course, involves both state and federal laws, which, IMO, are likely to be "in flux" for some time.

The reality of many "effective" pain-killing drugs is if they have the potential to "do good," they also have the potential to be abused (recall that heroin was first "offered" as a non-addictive "alternative" to morphine).

The issues with addiction generally involve the quantities taken; if one uses something to "get high," then that can be problematic (see Alcohol, Etyl). Much smaller doses are effective pain relievers.

This per my MD sister, BTW...

Posted by: LucidCunning ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 04:26AM

That is a very short-sighted and limited view of cannabis. I invite you to take the same principles that woke you up out of Mormonism and apply it to cannabis. The rational truth is that your take on marijuana is incorrect. I hope someday you realize this, because it can only benefit us all in the end.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:27PM

Cannabis causes a psychotic reaction in people who have never tried it. It’s a strong enough reaction to cause otherwise normal people to throw personal sovereignty, a pillar of American freedom, out the window.

If Utahns want to stomp all over each other’s rights, that’s their business.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:34PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cannabis causes a psychotic reaction in people who
> have never tried it. It’s a strong enough
> reaction to cause otherwise normal people to throw
> personal sovereignty, a pillar of American
> freedom, out the window.

I do not understand this, but it seems to be politically based rather than medically based.

Would you please elucidate, OP?

[Laugh for the day, and an inside joke for anyone who grew up in any of the Spanish-speaking areas of the USA: I began to add a last sentence to this post ("Much grass") and then I realized what I was doing and I deleted it. :D]

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:41PM

in people who are already prone to schizophrenia and other mental health disorders. And most in the field think that it only hastens the onset of such disorders.

But then, that's the real problem, isn't it? With the federal prohibition on it, any meaningful research on cannabis can't be done.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 11:54PM

That just isn’t true, babyloncansuckit.

Marijuana causes varied reactions in people for many different reasons, including age, weight, gender, mental status, overall health, etc.

Any any ‘reaction’ is short term. It’s not like you’re permanently head-fucked.

The long term effects of marijuana use are a separate issue, but may include munchies and general laziness :D

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:00AM

In developing brains there are other issues. However, with children with seizures and other medical problems, the good may outweigh the bad.

Date: September 22, 2018 11:38AM

My joke fell flat. Sorry.

Date: September 22, 2018 11:42AM

Maybe we’re ignoring the elephant in the room. No plant should be made illegal. It’s so disrespectful to plants.

Posted by: Hwint ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:49PM

there is a bit of research on cannabis for various medical problems. I support further research. for example, the FDA recently approved a cannabis-based treatment for a form of epilepsy.

the idea of medical marijuana, as practiced in California, is a complete joke. Prop 2 is a complete joke.

The same Democrats who say that "states rights" is a relic of the racist past, now claim that that states can use a referendum to bypass the FDA and declare that certain substances are safe and effective for treating certain diseases. Including substances that are illegal under federal law.

It's pathetic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 02:38AM

So you are a Republican saying that federal power is more important than states' rights?

Pot, Kettle.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 02:19PM

Everyone likes states rights up to the point of a state doing something they don't like

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 02:21PM

I just want marijuana legal taxed and regulated for anyone over 18

Date: September 22, 2018 02:26PM

That is exactly right.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:23PM

"Prop 2 is a complete joke."

Prop 2 is a ballot initiative in response to the Utah GOP Legislature and their master, LDS Inc. doing nothing for years. Zero tolerance. Our own, Mormon Republican Attorney General admitted MJ was the only thing that helped him when he was battling cancer. Yes, he used it illegally. Prop 2 is what happens when the church forbids the Legislature to listen to the will of 73% of Utahn's. You've seen "Reefer Madness" too many times.

Date: September 22, 2018 01:04PM

Prop 2 is reverse psychology to promote Dallin Oaks’ religious freedom initiative. Elder Oaks wants Rastafarians, Shintos, Taoists and Buddhists to enjoy the same religious freedoms as the rest of us.

He knows that all LDS meddling in politics backfires, so he decided that the best way to get the sacred herb legalized was to rally the morons, er, Mormons against it.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 08:02PM

Medical Marijuana saves lives during our nation’s current oxycontin plague.

I would also argue that recreational marijuana saves lives as it is commonly substituted for alcohol.

Drunks domstupid things such as abusing spouses.

Stoners look for twinkies and their Pink Floyd collection.

Date: September 22, 2018 02:42AM

They giggle a lot, too.

Don't forget the giggles.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 08:18PM

My wife used prescribed medical cannabis oils in the last 10 months of her life. The CBD and THC oils helped her fight the nausea from chemotherapy and helped her appetite. I couldn't give a shit what Dr. Pinsky thinks about it.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 08:49PM

I'm sure he won't discount its usefulness for conditions such as you described, i.e. offering very real relief for the nausea, etc. associated with chemotherapy.

What I undertand, though, is that in some states, Medical marijuana is prescribed for "hangnails." I think that's what he regards as a "joke."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:15PM

Screw Dr. Pinsky. A medicinal herb has medicinal uses.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:24PM

I have seen how much "pot" helps my son who was a drug addict and I considered an alcoholic. He has been on subutex for several years to stay off drugs. When he was able to start getting pot, he has cut way back on subutex/suboxone. Can't remember which one he is taking. His moods are more level. He is off alcohol completely just since last November.

I've seen nothing but positives with my son. I give him the money for it. It is worth every penny.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:25PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 10:25PM

Oh man. That has got to be miserable. So glad he's getting relief.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 11:31AM

Some of the handicapped people I work with tell me that they have tried many drugs and that marijuana is the only thing that eases their pain or other symptoms.

I can't use it because I am subject to random drug testing even though it is legal here in Colorado.

Posted by: starbucks ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:01PM

CBD oil is amazing - it has helped my 14 year old Aspie tremendously with social anxiety and wanting to build relationships with other humans. Just because something CAN be abused doesn't mean it should be restricted because some can't handle it. Gyms and food and video games can all be addictive. Are we banning those next?

This is just part of the infantilization the church imposes on the members, as the sheep are just too simple-minded to be trusted with anything of consequence.

As for rationalization, my husband thinks that we should only drink on the weekends. Why this is a rule, I don't know. He thinks if we go out to a restaurant during the week and I have a margarita, this is a sign of a problem. (insert eyeroll here)

I have explained over and over that if I was going to be an alcoholic, I would have become one when I was partying like a crazy suddenly-free Mormon back in my 20s.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:28PM

"As for rationalization, my husband thinks that we should only drink on the weekends. Why this is a rule, I don't know. He thinks if we go out to a restaurant during the week and I have a margarita, this is a sign of a problem. (insert eyeroll here)"

During the week, after a crappy day at work, sometimes is when you want one the most. Jeez. I know guys that won't drink until 5 pm because they think early drinkers have a problem. Then, they proceed to have 4-5 mixed drinks. BUT never before 5. OR if they're golfing or fishing- then it's OK to have a beer at 9am. People can rationalize anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.