Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 04:11PM

this is an ideal way to break the word of wisdom in a radical break from soda.

I hear water has flavor when you add a bag of herb tea. But then you have to deal with folks thinking you are a sinner/ probably when they see the tea bag.

Calories. Sugar. Balancing act. Why is drinking soda or coolaide more socially appropriate in mormondom than cold water with tea bag on a string hanging in there for flavoring. look at our life long word of wisdom acts impact hoovering pre diabetic impact on metabolism insulin resistance and weight. SHEESH how could something so unhealthy be an act of not sinning among the gentiles ; a smug act of righteousness; gaining self worth through doing something as unthinkably unhealthy as a 32 ounce soda instead of water with herbal flavoring. unfiltered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 04:29PM

Soda is by far worse to drink for the health than a cup of tea is.

The word of wisdom, if it were truly inspired by living prophets, would've been updated a long time ago to incorporate the ills of drinking colas (all the chemicals that go into them.)

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 04:33PM

once I cared enough to make a list of items that would be helpful to update.

Not true any longer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 04:34PM

The mormon church likes to feel special and above others by showing they have the will power to honor the word of wisdom. But more than that, the church likes to dictate behaviors and have iron clad control over members and the word of wisdom focuses on this goal. The word of wisdom isn't about health or it would have better suggestions aimed toward staying fit and being healthy. Like many aspect of mormonism, control is paramount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 04:40PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Meri ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 06:28PM

They were probably trying to be Jewish - you know how the ancient Israelites had dietary laws? Maybe ol' Joe was just trying his hand at it to legitimize his religion.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:14PM

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:58AM

I asked them if it's true that Mormons are not allowed to drink it.

They confirmed that it is indeed a banned substance under the Churchco rules.

I asked if they were aware of all of the health benefits claimed for green tea (drinking in moderation on a daily basis) and told them that I was trying to drink more of it, but having a hard time due to laziness.

They confirmed that they were aware of the claimed health benefits.

I asked them what happens to a Mormon who violates the prohibition.

They said they may not be allowed to go to the temple or hold certain church callings, unless they repent and stop drinking it.

I then asked what happens to a Mormon who doesn't drink tea, alcohol or coffee or do hard drugs, marijuana or tobacco products, BUT is morbidly obese due to consuming three ultra-big chocolate milkshakes everyday to go with the massive quantities of pizza, cheeseburgers, cake, pie and french fries that constitute their daily diet.

I followed up by asking: "All else being equal, is that person allowed to go to the temple...while the thin, trim, healthy Mormon, whose only violation of Mormon rules is drinking one cup of thin green tea every morning, is denied a temple recommend if they persist in drinking green tea.?

They looked at each other for a few seconds and then agreed that, yes, that is how it would work.

They hastened to add that the morbidly obese, milkshake-chugging, cheeseburger-inhaling Mormon should definitely NOT do those things and needs to change his ways, but that those habits would not have any bearing on worthiness to go to the temple.

But, they had to agree, as their conclusion, that the persistent one-cup-per-day green-tea drinker would be demonstrating disobedience to the commandments and would therefore not be worthy to go to the temple prior to repentance, which would include giving up the green tea. They made a valiant effort to then spin it as an issue of faith and obedience, rather than health.

I could see that they were embarrassed by the obvious insanity of it all. ;o))

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 02:12AM

Soda is extremely unhealthy. A Mormon guy told me that coffee has just as much sugar as soda. That's how ignorant they are. He wasn't aware that soda drinks have 8 or 9 teaspoons of sugar per can. The Word of Wisdom has nothing to do with health.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 02:26AM

He was probably thinking about the Starbucks coffee-flavored milkshakes that masquerade as coffee.

I always drink espresso or "Americano" -- straight black, no sugar.

Funny thing is that there are actually proven health benefits of coffee. (It also has undeniably bad side effects for some people and when consumed excessively, but the positive health effects are also well established.)

Sugary or artificially sweetened soda pop has absolutely no health benefits (other than minimal hydration benefits that impose unnecessary burdens on the kidneys).

So even if a Mormon attempts to rationalize things by comparing sugary coffee drinks to sugary soda pop, the Mormon still can't justify why one is regarded as evil and soul-destroying, while the other is just a trivial indulgence that has no spiritual ramifications worth mentioning.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 12:57PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Word of Wisdom has nothing to do with health.

It's a grab bag of mid-19th century dietary fads and bullshit assembled by a con man and supported by later leaders so as not to defame the con man and invalidate their own positions of power.

Stop trying to make sense of the WoW or the people who accept it as gospel.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 02:35AM

The Word of Wisdom is obviously bogus, but it does not support or endorse soda. Those in charge have decided (for once) not to try to stretch its meaning. It just doesn't mention it. Did soda exist in JS's time?

Soda is obviously not a good thing, though if a person is able to drink it extremely sparingly, little harm is done.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 04:24AM

Money!

Amalgamated Sugar Company (U&I Sugar) is owned by LDS, Inc. You probably haven't heard of it, because it only sells to large companies, like PepsiCo, Coca-Cola Co, Busch Beer Co and other breweries to use in the fermenting process, Marriott and Little America restaurants (also for airline food), and, of course Jello and Coolaid!

Support the Mormon church! Drink the Cool Aid and soda pop!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 06:34AM

It doesn't prohibit it. Not the same thing.

As was pointed out, it is not a health code. It is a device to train people to follow orders. A few of its prohibitions, notably tobacco, are decent health advice. Eat meat sparingly is also decent advice though that is roundly ignored.

The Utah soda shop fad, adding half and half to already sugar-loaded drinks, and selling them in huge cups is one of the most embarrassing aspects of Utah culture IMHO.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 10:19AM

I've often used a hypothetical case for a bishop's interview to illustrate that the WOW is not about health.

The bishop's first interview with Person A reveals that Person A drinks a cup of coffee in the morning, and sometimes drinks a glass of wine or beer with dinner. Person A is in good health, exercises regularly and eats a balanced diet. Person A is an avid cyclist and runner, who participates in competitive races.

Person A is ineligible for a temple recommend.

The bishop's next interview is with Person B. Person B is a seminary teacher, who eats like his students at a party. Lots of pizza, soda and ice cream. Person B rarely if ever exercises--preferring instead to read his scriptures and the collected works of Daniel C. Peterson and Hugh Nibley. But, Person B never smokes; drinks coffee, tea or alcoholic beverages; or uses illegal drugs.

Person B is eligible for a temple recommend.

When asked which person is healthier, most sane people would say Person A by a mile, but Person A is not in compliance with the Lord's Law of Health.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 12:16PM

The Mormon word of wisdom is inhale sugar not pot.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:16PM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:11PM

The Word of Wisdom is not wise. In Utah, mormons consume soda and ice cream like it's going to run out soon. The disgusting part is, that in the last few years, Mormons opened "bars" for sodas. Places like "Swig" and "Sodalicious" are everywhere. It makes them feel like adults in a bar. They order "dirty" sodas with pumps of different ingredients. All for $3+ a pop. Kids, that already too heavy, don't need a ton of sugar and all that caffeine and calories. My neighbor must spend $10.00 a day there.
My kid's high school (private) has nurses and nutritionists address the students a few times a year telling of the bad health effects of soda (also energy drinks and fast food). My kid plays two sports. The coaches bring in Sports Nutritionists to talk about hydration and the effects of sugar crashes. Most athlete kids only drink water with a few Gatorades thrown in. My kid will drink a coke every once in a while at a restaurant.
Mormons won't drink a glass of wine, a cup of coffee or Green Tea, but they have no problem drowning themselves and their kids in sugar and fats. Word of Wisdom, my ass.

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 09:36PM

They don't (seem to) have a problem

Many probably don't even know that caffeine is not "against the lds wow" [anymore], nor is it illegal, hidden (well [it's mormomonism; what's NOT hidden?]), or morally wrong or inappropriate anymore. (See 2012Mitt)

You seem to still have to hide things or feel that you do. Don't you hate how they make you feel so uncomfortable? What to do?

Here's an idea: take your teet bag out before it wrinkles and put it (the beverage of choice) into a Cocain-a-Cola, Mountain Dupe, Rudebeer, or any of your favorite beverage cans (like the others), and VOILA! You are at peace and don't offend them.

Good luck!

M@t

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 09:48PM

It is much easier to get a sugared up over-weight diabetic to do your bidding than to get a drunk to obey?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.