Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 04:31PM

. . . . oh brother . . . .
This is clearly a wacky idea . . why can't they just let people have a nice relaxing holiday vacation???
Ft Collins, Colorado temple will open continuously Friday November 23 to Saturday Nov 24 - that's right: ALL NIGHT!!
The flyer says "the inspired idea" will be a "sublimely spiritual experience" for the youth.

They will try to line up youth from Colorado & Wyoming & Nebraska & who-knows-where, so they can do continuous baptisms for the dead all night long and into Saturday.

I hate to be a pessimist, but this could really backfire. What if the drivers of the youth in SUVs and minivans have an accident in the middle of the night from running into a deer, or crazed drunk driver goes over the center line or driver falls asleep. I'd say this is not inspired at all. I can see a traffic accident possibility from this crazy plan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 04:35PM

I did an all-night dance marathon at my high school as a teen. It was to raise money for charity.
And I basically got to hug/fondle my girlfriend for 15 hour straight.

I can't imagine doing a dead-dunk-marathon. Think of the wrinkled fingers & toes, if nothing else...! Ugh.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:58AM

Oops.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 04:49PM

How often are they going to change the water? I can picture a thin layer of grease/ oil forming on the top after about 12 hours of continuous use.

After I graduated High School, I moved to Palm Springs, CA. A girl asked me to "Grad Night" which was all night at Disney Land, all rides free, and closed to all but a few schools. That was fun. All night in the temple doing dead dunks? Not so much.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 05:20PM

Thanksgiving weekend? A time when family members try to be together, and often travel to do so? So much for the "family church."

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 06:20PM

On highways that do close when weather gets nasty.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 05:40PM

When I was a YW we did a 24 hours read the Book of Mormon. One person stated to read the Book of Mormon loud than the next and so forth.
Later I heard rumors that they did this activity because the stake was challenged to read the Book of Mormon till such and such date and hardly anyone had done it so they did this activity to increase their numbers.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 05:57PM

I’d rather go to an all-night dentist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 06:20PM

Tell me if I'm wrong...

Only two people at a time in the font, right? The baptizer and the baptized...

So if you have 100 kids involved, what are the other 99 doing...there in the temple?

What is there to do while you're waiting your turn, or waiting for your group to finish?

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 06:21PM

They won't get that many kids from Nebraska.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 06:46PM

You're supposed to sit on the bench and either pray or read the scriptures.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 07:33PM

Heidi GWOTR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're supposed to sit on the bench and either
> pray or read the scriptures.

And if you have asshat leaders like I used to experience, you ride in car where you sing dumb church hymns going to and fro the temple.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 07:18PM

The kids need to entertain themselves there.

Maybe they can play Hide and Seek in the temple.

Maybe they can clean all the temple toilets.

Maybe they can hang out in the cafeteria and tell ghost stories.

It will be so special!

Posted by: ShinehahL ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 06:39PM

The thinking has been done for the adults so I suppose with this activity the adults are trying to do the thinking for the kids.
I'm guessing many of the kids are too frisky to just be drones for the entire night.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 07:30PM

Someone mentioned cleaning toilets. Well I think that's exactly what is going to be happening. When I used to go to these God awful trips, the leaders struggled to keep us solemn and reverent. Just too many kids bored beyond belief.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 07:48PM

Protestant churches I've belonged to have had children's and teen church sleep-ins. They call for full clothing, sleeping bags and foam pads, and careful supervision. They usually involve a combination of religious teaching, sharing & prayer times, socializing, movies, games or other activities, and so on. Lots of pizza and junk food. The kids enjoy them.

An all-night dunk-a-thon? If the LDS superiors are imaginative, they could mix proxy baptizing along with some of the activities I mentioned above. I'd be interested in finding out just what.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 08:38PM

There are some obvious activities that churchco officials watch out for, such as drinking, canoodling, smoking, mushroom snorting, etc.

But there is on activity that most people would find most amazing in that churchco wants to eliminate it among its disciples: Loud Laughter.

It's cringeworthy to consider that adults would think about clamping down on kids and their exuberant laughter. And one wonders how they judge "Loud Laughter"? Is it strictly a volume issue?

Or is it one of those things that when one is exercising his priesthood in a righteous manner, one simply knows these things?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 09:17PM

Tscc would rather youth spend Thanksgiving away from their families and extended families.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 11:47PM

Yes, and the church would also rather have parents spend Thanksgiving away from their families too. Youth leaders will be asked to drive kids to and from the temple as well as supervise the activity.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:30AM

IIRC, they pretty much have run out of names of deceased people who are in "need" of their patented vicarious baptism hocus pocus, so.... It's basically just busy-work for the kids.

What a constructive way for the kids to use their time!

"Brother William Snott, having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you, for and in behalf of Filbert Fartzenhammer, WHO IS DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Rinse and repeat (literally)

"Sister Petunia Befunkyulini, having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you, for and in behalf of Ludmilla Babushkanova Grizzle, WHO IS DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Rinse and repeat (literally)

Should be a Halloween activity. Staying up all night pretending to be hundreds of different dead people.

And, of course, people who actually think about things realized long ago that the whole baptism-for-the-dead thing is nothing but a stinking pile of nonsense, even when judged on its own terms.

The whole idea is that the saving ordinances must be received while in the flesh or they have no effect. People who didn't get the chance to receive the gospel in this life, at any point in the entire history of human existence on the planet, are screwed, unless some other person currently alive in the flesh can do it for them. How that works is anybody's guess. You're either in the flesh or your not.

If it's not your own flesh that's being dunked, why would some other person getting dunked while mumbling your name make any difference with regard to the saving ordinance having any effect on you in your non-fleshy state?

Isn't that like a healthy person taking rattlesnake poison antidote for a bitten person in the belief that it will make the bitten person okay.

Wilbur [calling Fred via cell phone]: "Fred! Fred! I just got bitten by a rattlesnake. I'm way out in the middle of nowhere by myself and there's no way I'll get help in time. Can you please get some rattlesnake poison antidote and take it for me vicariously?"

[Fortunately, Fred is an EMT and has some antidote in his emergency kit.]

Fred: "Hang on, Wilbur. I'm opening the antidote now. Okay...got it! Just wait for me to do the prayer. 'I, Frederick Boogerman, having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, hereby take this antidote to rattlesnake poison, for and in behalf of Wilbur Buttzenheimer, Jr., who has been bitten and is in danger of soon becoming DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.' Okay, Wilbur, it's done. Do you accept the ordinance?"

Wilbur: "I do! I do! Thank you so much. I'm feeling better already!"

Then there's the problem found in the fact that most people who ever lived and died on this earth did so without leaving any records of their names. So...if God can make different arrangements for them, the whole Baptismforthedead program is proven to be a pointless waste of time in any case.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:43AM

Now that there is some darn good entertainment for teens.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 01:16AM

Don’t forget about worrrrrthiness. (As opposed to worthlessness.) If any of those kids did the big M the night before—poor dead Joe Schmo stays in Spirit Prison. But Gawd wouldn’t do that! Then what other reason would there be to shame and interrogate all of the participants?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 01:53AM

LOL! I think a bunch of teen-aged kids can always find something to do when they are bored!

Every time I've been to a temple at night, there have always been couples making out, on the grounds. There are killer views, and lots of bushes.

Who's going to chaperone all those kids, with lots of repeated undressing and dressing and undressing and drying off. Those rituals are all about the body.

There won't be many adults, I guarantee it. Mormons love to separate kids from the parents, and they will come up with lots of ideas and excuses to do so. Thanksgiving or no Thanksgiving, the cult wants to take the place of family.

This is the dumbest idea, since EFY.

My little girl was molested at a Mormon sleepover.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 04:54PM

Sounds like a cult torture. I would have refused to let my kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.