Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 09:59AM

frankzappatista writes ...
==============================

Marty Balin, peace warrior and co-founder of The Jefferson Airplane, has passed.

While today Balin is one of the lesser recognized frontmen of the 1960s supergroups (mainly because he shared billing with inimitable frontwoman Grace Slick) he remains one of the most versatile voices in rock and roll.
While Freddy Mercury is recognized as having the greatest vocal range in rock, one could argue that no singer in rock had greater emotional range than Balin.
You can hear the fierce Balin in 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds and Volunteers, the high-energy pop Balin in It’s No Secret, and the tender balladeer Balin in Today and Miracles (two of the more underrated love songs in the rock era imo; was there a greater love song in the 70s than Miracles???). He wrote/co-wrote 5 songs from Surrealistic Pillow, an album in heavy rotation during the Summer of Love in 1967.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 10:34AM

Surrealistic Pillow was the first album I bought when I got home from la misión. I played the moody heck out of it. I've had it downloaded on my phone since I figured out how to do it.

Thanks to La Saucie, I'm no longer moody when I listen to it.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 11:20AM

Mi Amor.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 29, 2018 11:13AM

When I lived in Palo Alto, I hung out sometimes with Graces younger brother, Chris Wing. They grew up there. Chris was 28 then. He was unemployed and waiting for his banker dad to die so he could live off the trust fund.

He was also one of the nicest people I have known.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 04:57AM

I attended a bass seminar taught by Jack Casady at the Fur Peace Ranch. Jorma Kaukonen owns the place. I always liked Jack's bass playing and learned a lot. Marty Balin had a great voice.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 07:04AM

He had a lovely voice. "Miracles" marked an era for me.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 09:21AM

Loved his songs, played Surrealistic Pillow til it wore out. A little-appreciated favorite was "Coming Back to Me"

"..The shadow in the mist could have been anyone/through an open window where no curtains hung/ I saw you, I saw you/Coming back to me...."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 03:16PM

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: September 30, 2018 08:23PM

That's one thing about growing up in bay area, they'd all hang with you. It was great! Winterland.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 01, 2018 05:16AM

Always heard the JA were nice people to hang with. I only met Jack and Jorma and they were great guys. Both like to teach people how to play which is great. A lot of professional musicians don’t.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.