Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 04:39PM

The reason I asked where do I go is this is my home of sorts. I need a board with a strong atheistic mind to challenge my ideas with reason and not name calling. I have avoided the evidence on purpose because I don't want to force anyone to believe what I write. If they really want to know the evidence my mind uses, I'll be happy to share it, but not as a way to change anyone's mind, and if they disagree, explain why they disagree, and then we can hash out the reasoning and assumptions. I will assume it is OK to continue if I keep all the rules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 05:37PM

We've already established and you admitted that you don't have evidence.

Nor are your interests the purpose of this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 05:45PM by dogblogger.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 06:38PM

We're not your playthings. This is not your home.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 06:53PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 06:53PM

anonthegreat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need a board with a strong
> atheistic mind to challenge my ideas with reason
> and not name calling.

Good luck. This is a recovery board. This isn't a conversion to atheism board or a strengthen your testimony in pyramids or the lack of them board.

Posted by: might log in later ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 07:17PM

I think reddit has an atheist sub. Might I suggest you avail yourself of that opportunity and go make some golden contacts?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 08:01PM

They do,but this poster wouldnt last five minutes there. I got blocked because I corrected a poster on a FACTUAL matter and did it politely. They have little patience with anyone who isnt an atheist or who challenges them-even when you back it up with facts.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 12:35PM

I know the Reddit Exmo page is pretty tough on straying from the proscribed topic....kinda like the cult in some ways.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 07:21PM

Perhaps Facebook has a group you would like.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 07:22PM

Why are you trying to buy a cake at the butcher shop?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 07:37PM

I understand your need for conversation about the subjects which are of the most personal interest and value to you, but this is not the right place for you to find what you are looking for.

A new place for you to investigate can be found by doing a Google search for "metaphysical discussion groups." The results will include both online discussion groups, and also Metaphysical Meetup groups (where people interested in a particular topic meetup at a casual restaurant or wherever, and talk about their interests in a particular subject).

(I also just checked and there is a www.reddit.com/r/metaphysical sub-forum there.)

Keep this word in mind: metaphysical.

Although this word is not used as commonly now as it used to be (I grew up in a highly-metaphysical family; there used to be local metaphysical bookstores in most towns and cities, as well as discussion venues of various kinds), this word still does, evidently, lead to the kinds of people and discussions you are, I think, yearning for.

I understand this yearning, because I spent many decades (since childhood) searching for people I could discuss "things" with (subjects of all kinds which were of particular interest to me, because I have eclectic interests, and back then it was nearly impossible for me to find people who wanted to talk to about these things--which leads to another idea: if you qualify for Mensa, then join. Many discussions on seemingly countless subjects are available through Mensa, and some of these discussions are probably online).

We wish you well, and hope that you connect with the people and the groups which will be of the greatest value to you.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 07:51PM

welcome to the dark side OPie ~

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 10:43PM

He isn't here.

Maybe try one of those "people finder" sites. Many only cost a few bucks.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 11:31PM

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: October 02, 2018 11:44PM

This place will never provide what you are looking for anon. There are things I don't like about this site also but there are some great people here and some interesting discussions. Accept it for what it is and hang around awhile. Maybe things will improve.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:06PM

Maybe anon the great and felix should exchange emails and correspond one on one. Not kidding or being sarcastic. What incredible nerve to encourage the op to keep coming on here after the owner of the board, administrators, and others have as kindly as possible advised him that this is entirely the wrong board for him.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:10PM

For me, I was convinced that Mormonism was bogus in about two hours. I went from tepid to boiling in a fairly short time. I'm not on this board to learn why I was wrong for 30 years, I'm hear because we were all in the same boat at one point and it is nice to chat with people who experienced some of the same things as I did.

What I don't need is a much longer list than what I need so I just concentrate on what this board can give me, not what I can give it.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:14PM

You are not understanding the purpose of this board. You want it to be your plaything. Sorry. The other responses to your original post are excellent. I agree with them. Let us stay on our stated purpose of recovery from Mormonism and not attempt to preach or convert.

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 01:56PM

Eric, analyze my posts after I was asked to leave. The evidence proves the poster/posters here are not telling the truth. Every post is related to the original topic and is related to Mormonism.

If someone starts accusing me or questioning me, I will respond to it the best I can with reason. I have been focused on helping Mormons recover. However, there is other places to go besides atheism, unless of course, this is an atheist board, which I was told it is not.

I am OK with the atheists, but they are not OK with me. I considers them as equals, but they consider themselves above me. That doesn't seem right, does it? That is, if we believe in equality.

Date: October 03, 2018 02:01PM

Sheesh. No one considered themselves above you - just your reasoning which is nothing I could can rational and keep my wits about me.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 02:07PM

You seem to suffer from a persecution complex. My ex FIL did as well. I hope you can get the help to resolve these issues that he never did. Don't go to your bishop or other LD$ recommended doctors. They will only reinforce this complex.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 02:24PM

You do not respond, you preach. We are ALL DONE with preaching. We don't need you to 'splain things to us. We can think on our own.

You don't get that so you need to do what Eric asked and go away.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 04:25PM

anonthegreat said "I have been focused on helping Mormons recover."

You stated on an earlier post that you were not Mormon and had never been one and as I recall that post involved your interest in the Book of Mormon, Nephi and nephilium.

What makes you think you can offer anything in helping us recover and why should it matter to you? I ask because the nonsense you have posted about aliens transporting animals away from the earth during a global flood, nature and straight lines, Bosnian pyramid hoax, etc. is no help to anyone who has had their head filled with fantasy for many years of their life.

You have been politely asked to leave and now you call those you claim to be trying to help recover from Mormonism liars with these words "posters here are not telling the truth."

Here's my two cents. I for one do not need your kind of help and have little patience for the type of things you try to discuss. I'm grateful that Eric has asked you to leave and I'm puzzled why you can't take the hint and go. Honestly it makes me suspicious that you might be a Mormon trying to stir up trouble while pretending to be someone you are not. If so you wouldn't be the first lying apologist to pull that kind of a stunt.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 04:33PM

I was going to respond to the same statement that mike did: helping exmos recover.

Nobody should come here with a purpose aimed at others. For instance, trying to convert or persuade them into another group or way to believe.

It's a discussion board with the main topic being Mormonism and life after it.

Debate about other beliefs is not a central feature.

The concept is simple. Choose a group whose main purpose aligns with one's own. That way the board or group can adhere to its purpose and you get at least a little of what you're looking for.

This board is not for prolonged discussions/debates/treatises about various non-mo faiths, the universe, space, time, eternal mysteries.

That's just the way it is.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 06:04PM

"What makes you think you can offer anything in helping us recover and why should it matter to you? "

Because he's a self important narcissist that thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

Date: October 03, 2018 02:21PM

One last try to explain to anonthegreat:

Every day of the academic year, and all over this planet, colleges and universities (in particular) teach the religious views of all of the human beings who have ever lived, going back to marks scratched, or daubed in color, on rock walls and stones.

In archaeology classes, in history classes, in philosophy classes, in art classes, in foreign language classes, in literature classes, and on, and on, and on...

The religions of the Khoisan peoples in southern Africa, the religions of the ancient Greeks and the ancient Romans (and how these intersect with religion now), the religions of the all of the peoples of this planet throughout history, up to this moment.

And, with the exception of divinity and religious-sponsored schools, these teachings are done from an objective standpoint which has nothing to do with the personal viewpoints of the instructors, and usually not the personal viewpoints of the students either (unless there is something the student does not understand about the studied religion, which can only be understood in the context of that student's [often unconscious] religious belief to make the question comprehensible).

This is called the objective viewpoint--a study of something without connection to any personal beliefs of the person who is studying or expressing it.

From your writings, anonthegreat, you are incapable, right now, of understanding this kind of academic, objective, viewpoint, which means you (at this point in time) are incapable of expressing it in words. To you, your belief in [whatever] is SO overwhelming that it cannot be temporarily "put into storage" for the purposes of learning and discussion.

You need to develop the ability to think about, study, and discuss [whatever] WITHOUT reference to your personal belief system--just as you would do if you were studying the religious beliefs of a people who lived thousands of years ago, and thousands of miles away, from where you live now. The beliefs of those people would have NO relationship to the beliefs you hold now, and therefore, would (hopefully) force you, for evidently the first time in your life, to consider them objectively, academically, and without connection or reference to whatever-it-is you believe now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 02:59PM by Tevai.

Date: October 03, 2018 02:37PM

"You need to develop the ability to think about, study, and discuss [whatever] WITHOUT reference to your personal belief system--"

This is what RfM is all about:

Developing the ability to think about, study, and discuss [Mormonism] WITHOUT reference to it as a personal belief system.

We are trying to recover from their delusions.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 05:15PM

Now that was articulate and insightful, Tevai! Couldn't be said better.

I would say there is also detachment involved wherein one doesn't really listen to what the other is saying and is only formulating the words of the next presentation of their original agenda making it effectively a one-sided conversation.

Date: October 03, 2018 05:16PM

Thank you!

:D

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2018 05:36PM

I'm a nevermo. I first came to RfM around 2007. I came due to a lifetime interest in Mormonism spurred by a good friend of mine who converted in high school. I was driven by the question of what had caused her to convert.

I didn't post for the first six months. I just read the board -- read and learned. I would say it took me a good three years on this board to learn the nuts and bolts of Mormonism. The emphasis is on the word, LEARN. That knowledge was refined over time. In time, I also came to feel that I had something to offer here -- that I could combine my growing understanding of Mormonism with my own nevermo experiences to help those who wished to exit the church. And over the years, I have tried sincerely to help. Call it an avocation.

I could not, at that time, get my friend out. But I could help others.

I was raised mainstream Christian. Catholic, in fact. I also had experience with mainstream Protestant churches. At first it distressed me that those who left the Mormon church were often soured on Christianity and spiritual faith altogether. In time, I came to understand why. And years later, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If people are looking for another Christian church, or another faith altogether, I am happy to offer suggestions for churches that offer a kinder, more humane alternative to Mormonism. And if they are no longer interested in religion, that's fine as well.

You have your beliefs, sure. We all have our beliefs. But exmos who come here looking for support are in the main, not much interested in those beliefs. They want support in exiting a *very* controlling church.

I echo Eric and Tevai in saying that IMO what you are looking for is not to be found here. This board is not your personal playground. It is not here to serve YOU. It is here to serve exmos and others who are questioning the Mormon church. Tevai gave you some useful suggestions for a board that might serve as a "home" for you. I suggest that you carefully consider those suggestions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.