Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pelle Pellezon ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 12:06PM

Some emotional abusers never allow their victims to be who they are. But when victims turn the tables the abuser often say that the victims must accept the abuser for the person the abuser is. The victims become the abusers and blamed for doing what the abuser did from the beginning.

Right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 12:56PM

Yep, I have experienced that before. It's awful.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 01:18PM

Stay away from emotional and physical abusers, you do not need them in your life.

It's always better to surround yourself with positive people who appreciate you as a human being.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 02:29PM

I had enough experience working in the field and doing a family counseling internship (and other additonal grad level classwork and practicums as well) that what I saw of abusers--and the dynamics--absolutely disgusted me yet terrified me to boot.

I've always had a "strong neurotic need" (that also translates as "control issues") to try to "grasp" the workings of the "truly evil," and the only real "truth" I've laid hold of is "Don't expect them to admit their agendas." They may, or may not be, aware of them, depending on their particular "pathology," but they will do whatever they can to conceal it or deflect it--often via projection--onto others.

I absolutely agree with Elyse above about the importance of "staying away," but that is often difficult.

Which is one reason why this site exists...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 11:46PM

My TBM bro who passed away last month was a marriage and family counselor. He refused to treat certain pathological personality disorders because it was too much an emotional toll for him.

Sociopaths project onto their victims, and try to con their therapists for example. Similar to how abusers are in denial about their antisocial behavior.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 03:30PM

Mormondom in a nutshell

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 04:07PM

You are a child of God and you have been sent here to accept personal responsibility for everything that happens to you.

Took me awhile to see that in Mormonism. By the time I did. I had a family all baptized Mormon.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 11:24PM

Abusers look out for each other. When I was a teen and young adult, LDS leaders took the side of my abusive parents. Their behavior was my fault--I must take responsibility for their actions. I had serious problems with depression and anxiety; they counseled me to not seek any counseling!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 09, 2018 11:51PM

That's TSCC default mode, Josephina. I totally relate. They did that to me when I was a teenager and tried seeking help. As for counseling, I didn't have access in the Morridor until moving away to Silicon Valley. What a difference a place location made.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.