Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:20AM

I just checked out mormon.org.

It really does appear that they are distancing themselves, at least publicly, from the weird stuff.

The only mention of the book of mormon on the front page of mormon.org was all the way at the bottom and even then, they candy coat it. They say that "the book of mormon contains more of god's teachings". I seem to remember it "containing the fullness of the gospel", but what do I know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 10:26AM

Wow. They could not admit the BoM is fraudulent nonsense more if they tried.

That's how they treat the foundation of their religion? Sheesh. The only explanation to me is they don't believe it, are ashamed of it, and want to ditch it. At least they know others are not buying it so they can't get members.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 04:06PM

As far as I am concerned, you nailed it. They don't believe it, they are (justly) ashamed of it, and they want (and plan) to ditch it. It is, after all, a white supremacy book with some Christian icing on top.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:30AM

But just how far will the mainstreaming go? This is from Rusty's GC address:

"Our revised style guide is helpful. It states: 'In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." When a shortened [second] reference is needed, the terms "the Church" or the "Church of Jesus Christ" are encouraged. The "restored Church of Jesus Christ" is also accurate and encouraged.'"

No other religious organization is going to appreciate any of these shorted second references, especially the last one. Using "the restored Church" is a direct slap in the face of every other denomination, essentially calling them all fake Xtians. It's like they're actively looking for new ways to be insulting and offensive to the rest of the Xtian world.

But I suppose that's what happens after having been insulated from the rest of the world for decades, living in a tiny echo chamber, surrounded by lackeys and bootlickers, and not having to answer for the consequences of his actions.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:53AM

BoM: Keystone of our religion.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1986/10/the-book-of-mormon-keystone-of-our-religion?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 11:54AM by GNPE.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 12:12PM

Keystone? More like a millstone.

Date: October 14, 2018 11:09AM

This morning I was laying in bed reading nonsense on the internet and an ad scrolled by. An ad that said: Make life better with the teachings of Jesus Christ. Order a free bible.

Now up to this, it was pure mormonism. The same drek they've been selling forever.

Here's where it's different.

The URL is:

LearningAboutJesus.org

Of course, I checked and naturally, it goes straight to mormon.org

LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 11:10AM by Levi.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 10:00PM

That's a true insult to other churches. As if the only place you can learn about Jesus Christ and get a free Bible is with Mormons. What a load of stupidity.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 11:55AM

It's cultic. Not as devious as the Moonies or Scientologists, but cultic all the same, to promote one thing, a book, site, or front group, only to have your main group (church, organization, purpose) hiding behind it.

Scientologists, at one time, set up children's reading programs, for the purpose of helping parents get their children to succeed. the real purpose was to ensnare the parents.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 01:08AM

This is going to make a lot of work for their web people.

https://www.mormon.org/people

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 01:34AM

If the expression "actions speak louder than words" has any validity, the fact that Joseph Smith steadfastly ignored the Book of Mormon in virtually all of his sermons and "revelations" throughout the Kirtland years and the Nauvoo years must be a very loud refutation and rejection of the Book of Mormon indeed.

It's almost like he was hoping to make a quick fortune by selling the Book of Mormon, including an attempt to sell the copyright in Canada...and then when it failed to be a bestseller among the general public, he became disgusted with it...essentially using it only as a gimmick, prop and ice breaker for the purpose of selling his new religious organization.

Joe Junior was always selling something. The Book of Mormon itself became a dud product. The general public had no interest and immediately recognized the fraud for what it was. The gullible early "converts" to Joe's church focused more on the miracle of the golden plates and their translation as evidence of Joe Junior's divine mandate.

The Book of Mormon is the "MacGuffin" of the adventure tale known as the Joseph Smith story.

Date: October 15, 2018 10:54AM

That's right. He sold admission to view the mummies that had been the "gift with purchase" with the Book of Abraham. Or maybe his mother did. At any rate, bring the coins!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 08:09AM

Mormonism has given us a modern day window into how a cult arises, transitions into a religion, and then adapts to whatever is needed to survive.

It's much easier to see the making of and life cycle of a religion with Mormonism because it is so recent. Most have a similar pattern.

The elements are all there:
Charismatic character/leader
Mystery (magic powers)
Self proclaimed authority with no accountability
Answers to questions with everchanging interpretation
Holy writs
Rites of passage
Cultural identity around the group
Adapting to whatever science discovers
Morphing, adapting, merging, or dying out

A good read:
The True Believer: Thoughts On The Nature Of Mass Movements is a 1951 social psychology book by American writer Eric Hoffer, in which the author discusses the psychological causes of fanaticism.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 05:41AM

It wouldn't surprise me if they renamed the Book of Mormon to something like The American Testament of Christ. Then they use the excuse they want to put the focus on Christ more.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 12:00PM

It would need a more global, universalistic title though, as they seek converts in other parts of the world. "New World Testament of Jesus the Christ" sounds good, but it doesn't include Africa and Asia in its scope, and would inevitably be confused the the JWs' "New World Translation."

But I think you're on to something!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 11:33AM

I think it's much more fun to go outdoors and watch a stream flow by in real time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.