Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 02:05AM

June 3, 1978: Brother Jones, welcome to the church. Due to your African ancestry, which is the blood of Cain, you will never be able to hold the priesthood in this life. But you are a much loved member and are welcome to participate in all activities that do not require the holding of the priesthood, except going to the temple. You can't go in there.

June 10, 1978: Brother Jones, we want to ordain you to the priesthood. And we want to set a goal for you to get a temple recommend by the end of next year. It's what God wants for you. And don't forget to pay your tithing, so that you can be worthy of these blessings.

+++++

1889: Now, Bessy Sue, you know that the bishop, the stake president and your parents have fasted and prayed and they know for certain that Heavenly Father wants you to become Bishop Snotrot's 3rd wife, fer shure, fer shure, fer shure! Do you want to make Heavenly Father unhappy? Didn't think so. Now, granted, Bishop Snotrot has some personal hygiene problems related to his not brushing his teeth and what not, but for a man who is 55 years old and weighs 300 pounds, he's a real catch. This is an eternal principle and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be on the road to eternal happiness. Are you with Heavenly Father, Bessy Sue, or are you against him?

1891: Now, Bessy Sue, you need to get out of Bishop Snotrot's house immediately and go fend for yourself. You know that it's wrong to stay there and act like you have rights as a plural wife. I know, I know, there was the miscarriage and now you're expecting a baby, but the Prophet has spoken. And with them government folks poking around, it will be bad for the Lord's Church if they come across you acting like you're Bishop Snotrot's 3rd wife. The Relief Society sisters will be checking up on you to help you with your needs.

Remember the leaders are always right even when they're saying the opposite today of what they said yesterday. Opposition in all things is an eternal principle. Opposites are good. So do not oppose the wise counsel of the Lord's anointed prophet guy, for those who stand in opposition to the counsel of the Lord's anointed are surely damned.

Hey, why do you keep holding your neck like that. Are you suffering from whiplash or something?

When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done.

When the prophet speaks, the debate is over.

We can be confident that they will not lead us astray.

Citations:

“When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan–it is God’s Plan. When they point the way, there is no other which is safe. When they give directions, it should mark the end of controversy, God works in no other way. To think otherwise, without immediate repentance, may cost one his faith, may destroy his testimony, and leave him a stranger to the kingdom of God.” (Ward Teachers Message, Deseret News, Church Section p. 5, May 26, 1945.)

“We are most fortunate to have a living prophet at the head of the Church to guide us, and all who heed his counsel will be partakers of the promised blessings which will not be enjoyed by those who fail to accept his messages…Whose side are we on? When the prophet speaks the debate is over” (N. Eldon Tanner, “The Debate is Over,” Ensign, August 1979, p. 2).

“As we look to the prophets for guidance, we can be confident that they will not lead us astray” (L. Aldin Porter, “Search the Prophets,” Ensign, April 2002, p. 31).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 02:16AM

yesterday does not exist, there is only today. But when does today end and the also non-existent tomorrow begin?

Posted by: 10epsilon ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 02:28AM

It's because of things like this that I get huge Orwellian vibes from the church. History is what they say it is, thought crimes (the word 'mormon' nowadays) are a serious 'sin', and any discrepancy is brought up to their authorities by other members. If the church had any actual authority I would be seriously afraid for our society.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 07:23AM

What do you do when they say contrasting things at the same time?

24 October 2018:
"Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse, or that it reflects unrighteous actions in a premortal life; that mixed-race marriages are a sin; or that blacks or people of any other race or ethnicity are inferior in any way to anyone else. Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form." - Race and the Priesthood church essay.

Also on 24 October 2018:
"And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them." - Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 5:21.

Which one am I to believe?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 07:53AM

I wonder if they read RfM, because the idea to disavow old racist doctrines was floated here.

The BoM is going to hang on like a red headed stepchild, but it doesn’t matter because nobody reads it. My guess is they’ll play the pious fraud angle. I think it would work because it’s plausible. God allowed past leaders to be fooled to overcome mortal weakness, etc. They just have to spin it right. It’s what good leadership would do, so I don’t worry about it happening.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 10:44AM

Love where you point your flashlight WP and the flourish that accompanies the light.

This post reminds me of that phrase, "If you want to know who rules you, find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.