Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: October 25, 2018 11:19AM

This article reminded me of growing up in Mormondumb, where showing off your quiver full of kid's is the norm at sacrament meeting...sort of a status symbol if you have a lot of kids. New born babies seemed to be the grand prize of Mormon stardom in sacrament meeting. It's seems there is an anxiousness to bring the new born to church, but is it dangerous to do? I always thought it was.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/newborn-contracted-fatal-herpes-virus-from-kiss-mom-warns

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 25, 2018 11:56AM

This beautiful little girl is my former boss' granddaughter. The video is darling, you need to watch it. She was born perfectly healthy and likely a kiss from someone with a cold sore, at 3 weeks old almost killed her and left her blind.

Since then I warn all parents of newborns to be overly cautious, especially with really little ones, even if people think you're just paranoid. And never never never let a stranger kiss them.

https://twitter.com/karenehowell/status/923687807524200450

As a follow up, I don't think she's met Ed Sheeran yet, but he is very aware of his biggest fan and sent her personally autographed CDs.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 25, 2018 03:45PM

When my eldest was born, the pediatrician urged me, very strictly, before I left the hospital, not to let our son be around ANYONE, even doting grandparents, until he was at least two weeks old. My then-husband was not inclined to take orders from anyone, and allowed his parents to come from NY to Seattle.

I was in terror the whole time, because 1) I knew very little about babies anyway, and 2) the LAST thing I wanted to hear from the doctor was: "I TOLD you. . ." and it would all be my fault.

I don't think I took my son around any group of people - not even church - until he was at least a few months old.That is, aside from day care. The now-ex pushed me back to work when my baby was only seven weeks old. We fought about it like rabid tigers. My mother didn't help. She said things like, "Someone else will hear his first words, see his first steps. Don't you care about that?" Of course I cared. I couldn't make her understand that the now-ex was making my life such Hell that I didn't really have a choice about staying home.

AND, the now-ex would not participate in any form of baby care, so I was essentially a single mother. More than 40 years ago - and yeah, you might say that I'm still bitter.

From then on, I was extra-careful about contraception. No way was I going to have any more children. I inherited 3 stepkids when I married, and I love them, but their father is a far better parent than my ex.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 25, 2018 10:46PM

My birthday is in late November and my mom took me to church as a newborn. I got an infection and was hospitalized for several weeks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.